Thanks Mark

I guess I will pick that up as soon as I am allowed to

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

11 hours ago, slotmadmac said:

I hope some of you guys are building some silky smooth slot cars over lockdown. I’m at work. We’re flat out. 

NOPE!!

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

15 hours ago, slotmadmac said:

I hope some of you guys are building some silky smooth slot cars over lockdown. I’m at work. We’re flat out. 

Yeah,  I now have 3 Legends that are "too fast to loan to reptiles" unless I want my butt kicked raw.
But they are all about the same speed which is "Mac's Legend" plus about 0.2 seconds a lap   #*#%*!%#$@ 

Just had another not-quite-straight axle - couldn't understand why the stock and replacement gears were so noisy till I swapped it out.
Plus discovered that one of the cars I had originally set up, had a front wheel about 2mm in the air.
Now boiling jug to cook the chassis and straighten it. Knowing my luck, when I put it back together, it will exhibit some kind of rumble and broken-leg-itus.......

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Bingo, if I can, I’ll take a rolling road too, with foam insert if possible. 

I might as well post here what I’m still looking for/needing and appreciate any help on where to go :) 

Aussie Touring Car 

Tyre Lathe/Truer 

Set up board 

Cheers guys, stay safe this week! 

Snake

About time you slipped that skin and made this move. Tuning cars is far more satisfying than racing - well that's how I see it anyway. 

Falcon here if no one has a spare you can pick up. 

I have a spare set up block you can have.  I'll dig it out for you,

Mark may have better ideas on tyre lathe options and I will contact Tony in Nelson to see if he knows of a second hand one. Or you could look here - I have been using this model for years. Good value. 

You'll need a regulated power supply for the truer. I use these but there are cheaper options around.  

Booyah

Edited by slotmadmac

Podiums are for short people.

I can sort you a Falcon Michael, I have a couple of livery options you can choose from sitting on the shelf. Take a look when we are back to normal-ish, and decide if you fancy either of them over the common dark blue. I need to hoard less...
These are the 2 I have - $70 for either
falcons.jpg
The Professor Motor lathe Mac showed on the Electric Dreams site is a good all-round one for your use, as you can do Scalex cars with stock plastic wheels on them, as well as alloys.
I'll get you one of them from Professor Motor, it will work out much cheaper. 

While I am about it - if anyone wants another Chevy or Dodge white kit, I can throw one into the box to come on Fedex.
And I found I had one of these left over  - was going to give it to Crockett, but Rodsun reminded me he has the exact livery alreadyeaed9dbf58553762170bf5c5c00294b4.image.7

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self

7 hours ago, slotmadmac said:

Tuning cars is far more satisfying than racing

Thats what ive been thinking. After the DW masterclass I was thinking it would be so satisfying if I could do it myself! Thanks for the options, at least i have time to think them over, not much else to do! 

Mark they look good - will get back to you soon about that! 

On 8/21/2021 at 4:11 PM, thesnake said:

Mark they look good - will get back to you soon about that! 

No sweat, they're just on my shelf crying "set me up" or set me free.
- I ordered the sole lathe Professor Motor had assembled and on stock. Should be here in just over 2 weeks, as I went Fedex instead of US postal.
Made very little difference to the delivery cost.

Guys - I am assuming everyone has their fill of Legends now. So I'll put that Smokey Yanuck car on the NZ Slot Racer FB page.
I also have one each Chevy and Dodge white kits in the box that contains the reptile-lathe. Speak up next couple of days, else I'll toss them on the FB page as well
- I just used them as box-fillers. 

Michael - I found a small variable supply that MIGHT run a Professor Motor lathe, may be too light at 3 amps @ 12v, but will be worth a try.

If it works, its yours. If not, I'll keep it for someone with a small track to use.

Pat dropped off a new body for me yesterday

3d printed Holden HQ Monaro

mg1bDbq.jpg

Thanks Dave West for putting us onto the website

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

This lockdown has hit where it hurts the most!!!!  

I have run out of raw material for making stuff. 

Bingo that can't be right?

You're and essential service!

JK

1 x Porsche 997 Constructors Cup Co-Champion

1 x Fly Classic Enduro 2013 Co-Champion

1 x F1 Classic Shootout 2016 Co-Champion

1 x Harmon Memorial Cup 2016 Co-Champion

2 x PieBone 400 Co-Champion

A few Project lockdown......have I been busy? Hell yeah.

6 x Rolling roads, 2 awaiting parts from Jaycar. Little block on the bottom right is a Hotrod design taper sanding block.

D3N4gW0.jpg?1

5 x Dave West Tyre fitting tools. 

SZ5XABH.jpg?1

3 x Wheel & Gear Balance Frames

o9hul3v.jpg

You have been industrious Bingo - what parts do you need for the roads?  I may have some of them lying around here.

That's a whole lotta camber there Rodsun, you planning on leaning extra hard in the corners? 
But don't you want the camber running the other way ? 

Mark I am waiting for female plugs for the leads. 

The camber is 3degrees, one of the things Dave West showed us. 

15 minutes ago, Bingo said:

Mark I am waiting for female plugs for the leads. 

The camber is 3degrees, one of the things Dave West showed us. 

What type of female plug is it? 
I understand the 3 degrees camber, but those blocks look as it they are designed to take more off the inside of the tyre, which would create negative camber, whereas we normally want to take more off the outside, so that as the car leans and loads up in the corner, it has a full width contact pad.  ie positive camber
camber.png

ie, to create this effect at left below

ctrp_0801_08_z-caster_camber_settings-po

Have had this one in the pipe line as well

Packing some serious  horse power

510cu Kieth Black all alloy block & heads, 14/71 elderbrock supercharger plus fuel injection putting out 1310bhp at the rear wheels

1j8Tbdd.jpg

uMxpW5b.jpg

jesRVXv.jpg

• Like 2

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Cool Crockett. That looks grunty!

JK

1 x Porsche 997 Constructors Cup Co-Champion

1 x Fly Classic Enduro 2013 Co-Champion

1 x F1 Classic Shootout 2016 Co-Champion

1 x Harmon Memorial Cup 2016 Co-Champion

2 x PieBone 400 Co-Champion

Mark on the camber, what Dave did was definitely on the inside, I have a photo of it. 

4 hours ago, Bingo said:

Mark on the camber, what Dave did was definitely on the inside, I have a photo of it. 

Could you throw that photo up for me to have a look at? 

It's totally weird, it just goes against the practices of every other top proxy builder around the world, whose setups I've seen/read
- It creates a high pressure point on a very minute, narrow contact area at the very outside edge of the tyre, and that alone is counter productive to logic as it wears off quickly and is lost, and accumulates dust/marbles quickly.
What did Dave say it achieves? 
Anyone else remember what Dave said? 
You normally take more off the outside of the tyre, so that when the car is running in a straight line, it is running more on the inside edge, and the outer parts of the tyre are actually in the air, but as the car leans into the corner, you then get a full width contact patch across the tyre, with even-ish loads.
I just can't be bothered doing it for club level racing, I only used to do it when I entered a proxy.

When you just true the tyres "flat", and run a few hundred laps, the higher load on the outer areas of the tyres causes them to wear more, gradually creating the exact camber effect - "running the car in", and you tend to get gradually improving lap times as a result.

Interesting stuff. A new dimension is understanding the physics. It intrigues me. 

I said to Ryan months ago that I’d love to have a super slow mo camera to see what is actually happening in corners. 

Mark

It sounds like you are talking about the rear tyres

Bingo is talking about the front tyres, coning is what Dave West doing

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Dave was saying that cars needed minimal/friction contact off the front wheels and as wide as possible (stability), a lot like out riggers on a bike, and is why he suggests coating the outside tip with 10sec glue or nail varnish.

I've been flat out at work under lockdown, but stole some time in the shed today, and used my masterclass learnings to work on my Slot It LMP.  This was always a bit of a dog; tail happy and chattery in the corners. In saying that, it was still hitting a fairly respectable  6.5 / 6.6s on my track but was a real handful to drive on the edge. Using Dave's techniques, I redistributed the weight and rounded off the existing tyres - and a total transformation took place. It's now running in the lows 6s with a best time of 6.07 and it was an easy drive. I couldn't believe it. I have always prided myself on building quick cars, but clearly I had a lot to learn. 0.5s is massive. Absolutely unreal. 

Next up I stripped my old Slotting Plus Reynard LMP and rebuilt it in Dave's style. This car is 10+ years old;  another car that was fast but wild and unpredictable on the track. Best time today before the rebuild was 6.5s. I put some new tyres on the rear and, using all the same components, it was instantly in the low 6s with a best time of 6.04. It's clearly got a sub 6 in it once the tyres come on. Mad. This has all been such a revelation. I need a drink!  

• Like 1

Podiums are for short people.