HBMRC - Hawkes Bay, NZ

41 minutes ago, Bingo said:

Where are we racing this week lads ?

I don’t know where but I am out this week, a concert/dance event apparently.

I will be potentially be about a little  less this year due to having chauffeur duties, while Bronwen is not able to drive.

Yo guys - I will host. 
Doors open 6pm as usual, just wander in. If I am not in the garage when you arrive, just start with the banter. 
I will be completing my dinner duties, and be there shortly. - To save my brain having to think too hard, I am a "Hello Fresh" chef this week.
Needless to say, Glenda won't be waiting on us, so I'll just supply the liquids in the fridge. Help yourselves.

We're back to Week 1

1 BTCC (British Touring Cars Championship) - [ Modern ERA Scalextric models - MG6, VW Passat, BMW 125, Honda Civic Type R]

2 Muscle Cars

3 1965 to 1980 sports

As threatened at Pat's recently, voltage will be set down to 10v.
Remember what our mothers told us when presenting the new and strange foods  ....  "Try it, you'll like it"

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

"2 of the house class cars got superglue on the spur gear in the build, as they were loose, I fear the spur and wheel may be superglued together."

Hey Pedro51,

Back in the 60s Tamiya and Russkit used a combination spur-gear and wheel on their sidewinder cars. The advantage was that you only needed to tighten one set-screw on the gear-side.

More recently I've done it a couple of cars that have narrow rear axle-tracks, where it is hard to get the hex-key or pro-tool into the set-screw on the wheel.

Den

Just wander in, no need to knock, and there will be a different visitor tomorrow night, now that Alan has headed home. Steve Wall from BOP,  who is also entered in the DTM Classic.

Some of you will know him from the NZ Slot Racers FB group.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

On 3/9/2021 at 6:46 AM, Pedro51 said:

I will be potentially be about a little  less this year due to having chauffeur duties, while Bronwen is not able to drive.

I would suggest we inaugurate a WAGs division, but I would probably be taken out back and get kicked to death.

Thanks for your understanding all as I wandered to to do periodic check-ups on the lady.
Thanks also for your understanding on trying 10 volts.
Smithy - away 'broken', Ryan on Dad duties, Pedro on chauffeur duties, and none of the 'on any given good day' guys. And we still had 12 racing.
I think we can declare Graeme thoroughly back. Really glad you're back Graeme.
For those who don't know.  - Graeme is a founding member of the club when we set up in 2006, part of the core group that enabled us to get up and running.
He was also a "pusher" as supplier of some Scalextric? cars, glue, tools and parts via his RC Plane modelshop 436 Models.
We ran
- BTCC with stock Scaley motors
- Muscle Car which "open" motors, though I and some others only ran a Slot.it orangebell/MX16 or a Shark 20k/21.5k (I left my orange-beast Nationals car in the cupboard)
- 65-80 Sports which allows open motors, and again, I and some others only ran a Slot.it orangebell/MX16 or a Shark 20k/21.5k 

I have some thoughts going forward about whether/when to reduce voltage. But what did everyone else think ?
Some pics and video below, and lap times for the quicker drivers for each class at bottom
club110321a.jpg

club110321b.jpg

These are the best laps of the quicker drivers by class, with my best guess from my own times, so we can see how lap times were affected by 10v
BTCC - about 3/10ths a lap slower
bestlapsbtcc2103.jpg

Muscle Car - About 2/10ths a lap slower (maybe only 0.15 a lap slower)
bestlapsmuscle2103.jpg

65-80 Sports - About 1/10th a lap slower
bestlaps65-802103.jpg

I am calling these "Scaley Precision Guide Sleeves". They are a very neat fit into the hole the scaley guide goes in. The scaley guide fits snugly into the hole in the centre & the flange is 0.8 thick bringing the guide out a bit so more of the blade is engaged in the track.

aqsryKG.jpg

Edited by Bingo

That looks like the bees knees Paul.
I presume you are going to offer for sale. Please toss me into the queue for some when you have time. 
I imagine you can alter the flange thickness as required, so I could see an eventual range of ~ 0.5mm to say 1.2mm thick flanges, as a "fix-all" for vertical and lateral guide slop, while lowering the guides at the same time for best depth.

It is probably about time we had a Bing Engineering thread somewhere here, and maybe an FB page which can post to with products, then use as a base to share from onto groups etc.

Good night as usual

As for running 10 volts it was good with the fast higher powered cars but for the lower powered cars like the btcc it was to sluggish so way to easy as I could go around most corners on full trigger. No challenge and just way to boring for me

I would be happy with 10 volts for the open powered classes and 12 volts for the low powered cars but would prefer just sticking to12 volts 

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

3 hours ago, David Carter said:

Good night as usual

As for running 10 volts it was good with the fast higher powered cars but for the lower powered cars like the btcc it was to sluggish so way to easy as I could go around most corners on full trigger. No challenge and just way to boring for me

I would be happy with 10 volts for the open powered classes and 12 volts for the low powered cars but would prefer just sticking to12 volts 

Agree. 

Podiums are for short people.

Interesting comment Dave and Mac. In Perth Syd's group changed from 12 to 10volts a few years back. Racing is just as close but many less offs. One of their members however has recently said he thought Group C was better as higher voltage. Not sure what group you are thinking for Group C (slot/fast) but as they handle really well they could better handle higher voltage. At my new track I have always used 11volts but Young Paul's Mosler is probably just as fast at 10 volts which again accords with your thoughts.

Interesting thoughts. Why did you change to 10 volts?

Regards Chas Le Breton.

We have several tracks Charles, mine, which you know from driving, is one of those with the most turns relative to running length, and only one front straight of any length, so I just decided I would be the one to run an unholy experiment - of a whole night's racing.

We always run 3 classes, (this weeks are in bold below)
A "slow" - which is either a 16k motor (pre-'65s) or a stock Scaley motor class eg BTCC, V8 Supercar,  NASCAR etc
A middle class, (say Group C, or DTM) or as this week, an open motor class with a technology/model/body shape limitation - 70s' american muscle.
A really fast class, eg Group 5, LMP, GT3 or GT1, or 65-80 Sports.

By doing all 3 classes at 10v, we were able to get an experience across a range of classes.

I deliberately chose to run my 70s' Muscle car with an orange bell/MX16, not my fast beast which has a 30K Shark in it, and a 65-80 Sports with the same standard MX16 motor, not one with a hotter 25k motor, so that the 10v wasn't simply offset with raw horsepower for me.

We didn't count offs, but my feeling is that there were less as was to be expected, and if accidental nerfs were excluded, even less.
( I managed to nerf myself 3 times, trying to pass Rodsun 3 times in a single heat on the squeeze of the Monaco Hairpin at the bottom of my hill)
- Call me a slow learner...................

Hoping some more of our clubbies will throw in their thoughts. 

I'm with Dave and understand completely what Mac is talking about regarding too much traction and the car being glued to the track and slower.

Long live high grip setups.

JK

1 x Porsche 997 Constructors Cup Co-Champion

1 x Fly Classic Enduro 2013 Co-Champion

1 x F1 Classic Shootout 2016 Co-Champion

1 x Harmon Memorial Cup 2016 Co-Champion

2 x PieBone 400 Co-Champion