HBMRC - Hawkes Bay, NZ

Last run at Kennedy Road. Gotta be there!

JK

1 x Porsche 997 Constructors Cup Co-Champion

1 x Fly Classic Enduro 2013 Co-Champion

1 x F1 Classic Shootout 2016 Co-Champion

1 x Harmon Memorial Cup 2016 Co-Champion

2 x PieBone 400 Co-Champion

A great night on Falls road.  15 drivers made the send off for its current iteration pretty special.

Huge thanks to Bingo for the mini bone trophy - soooo cool and it's gone straight to the pool room.

There was some good chat about our current classes so though I'd copy them here for ease of viewing.
We have so many new members and if we are going to make changes it would make sense to do so before they go out and buy cars.

My 2 cents:    my least favorites are Aussie V8, Group C , GT1, Nascar, & BTCC.   

Cheers

Week 1   Week 2  
1 BTCC (British Touring Cars Championship)   1 Pre 65 Classics  
2 Muscle Cars   2 Slot It Group C  
3 1965 to 1980 sports   3 GT1  

Week 3   Week 4  
1 Aussie V8   1 NASCAR/Classic NASCAR  
2 Fly Classics   2 DTM  
3 LMP   3 Group 5  

Week 5      
1 Australian Touring Cars      
2 Scalextric F1      
3 GT3      

They are only toys .... until you pull the trigger.

myself i like the lower powered classes simply because they offer much better door to door racing

so on that note my least favorites are GT1, GT3, LMP, DTM and GRP C

Holdens rule the rest just drool

slot cars are my drug,

ATCC/Bathurst proxy host

NZ Grp5 proxy host.

Did anyone else get the results from F1 in particular. I was sure I photographed Snake's floor wiping of the rest of us, but the pics of results and lap times, but they weren't on my phone.

-  I had thought after the guys comments last night about classes, perhaps it would help if I create a poll, and people can nominate their 3 least liked classes, for possible deletion (That doesn't mean we delete 3 classes, nor create up to 3 new ones, but it will give some sort of consensus of people's feelings about classes as a first step.)
I would add, that should the club choose to delete a class for which any of our 3 newbies - Gary, Phillip and Leighton have bought a car - I am happy to buy that off them, so they aren't burnt with a lemon.

... That's if we can still create polls on the forum....I can't see how to do it right now. 

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

2 hours ago, thesnake said:

https://strawpoll.com/polls/poy9R1K0pnJ 

I have created a straw poll here! Allows you to vote for your 3 least favourite classes 

You’re a slithering flaming Legend, a Pioneer of good polls, more than just an ordinary everyday nerfer :D

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

1 minute ago, RichieA said:

Snake can you please check I voted correctly cheers

Yep! Looks all good Richie! 

2 hours ago, SlotsNZ said:

You’re a slithering flaming Legend, a Pioneer of good polls, more than just an ordinary everyday nerfer :D

Yep! Not just a scruffy looking nerd herder! 

Can also set one up too for replacement classes if needed. Again would probably be a choose 3 situation! 

• Like 1

About 22 people max if say Brendon, Munter and Wongie vote as well as Crockett and the Bone throws in a cheeky opinion.. I’m surprised how quickly folk have got in and voted, 12 within a few hours.

Well my two cents worth I guess. 

Ever since that Auckland fella who came down to MACS for the weekend and show all how to build cars I have seen a major increase of competitiveness across the whole range of classes.

There is a concern that when the classes were set that it allowed everyone to focus on getting these cars and some of them would have been fairly expensive. So why not do a rotation.?Just swap them out and on occasions race the not so favs.

Everyone has their favorites but for me All the cars are not bad cars. Maybe the new guys and Im talking been in the club for up to a year have help tuning all their cars so when the racing nights arrive its down to the person behind the trigger. Just a thought. 

The new F1s have a lot of power behind them. They are awesome but without guidance from the pros there will be big blow outs. So if we are going to introduce them then I think we need to learn the set of skills required to run them. A lot of us have them but we haven't raced together as yet. How about doing a 2 hour race with the first hour at 10 volts.   

Im not keen on losing any of the fast classes. That is what kicks my Adrenalin in. That is my legal drug :). I look forward to winding out my cars especially down the straights. Everyone is into there own way of perceiving what is best for them. For example Dave Once upon a time you relished speed. Your thoughts are on least favs being my favs. Some of them I struggle to get right but Im always trying to right it. If I have a failure I go back to the drawing board and reassess what and where and I going wrong. Thats what attracts me to this hobby. I dont care who wins or who loses but I always try to get the best out of my cars to compete.    

Pioneers need to come in on the roster. I dont know why they are not thereto be honest. A fun car and every time I see them race which isn't really enough there are  huge smiles on everyone's faces. Say no more.

I think Pre 65 should be 18k or less with limits to torque. I have noticed a few guys consistently winning this class. And of course I dont take anything away from you top blokes but it seems two of you are winning by a country mile to everyone else all the time. Maybe this is having an affect. Just my thoughts. 

I'm addicted to Slot Cars.

Smithy - if you read the rules, the Pre 65s are 16k max, 
I never agreed with solely using rpm, and was always banging on about using actual motor power in watts, measured by the standard energy formula of rpm x torque 12 volts, because rpm alone handicapped cars that could only fit a ff050 motor like my little MRRC pre65, and gave a huge advantage to any which could fit a boxer FK-180 can. At that time most in club didn’t get that.

( When we more recently created GT3, we were smarter, and specified sme motors which are stock in various brands of maker car, and all of similar power [wattage], despite different can shapes and rpm. - That made GT3 cheaper and easier to set up while enabling a range of brands to run side by side with stock motors and pods - exception being NSR of angle winder format which requires a down power from 21k to a 17k baby. King or baby raptor).

-as an aside, Mac put 16k as the limit in Pre-65; thinking that was the rpm of the Ninco NC-1 so-as to specify that motor or equivalent, but the 16krpm stated on the can was their rating at 14.8 volts - the voltage of Ninco power supplies. At our 12v, they are only about 14,000rom.

That allowed use of the SRC 16,000 rpm fc-130 s-can motor, which I think most of us have in our cars. So the playing field is level, in motors, and they are actually already our lowest power class.

My pre ‘65 cars mostly have 16,000 slim line motors, because they are all I can fit in without butchering the cars too much.

ps edit, I think we drifted away from the narrow body part, but I’m ok with that.

Edited by Pedro51

Nice one Snake. I just voted. 

I like the classes that give the best driver experience. On that basis, I voted to cull V8s, BTCC and NASCAR. Legends and DTM could easily have made my list too. 

I think the smart move would be to adopt the classes and rules that are run at 'National' level: Thunderslots, NSR Classics, Muscle cars (with National rules) and NSR F1. I think if we were starting the club from scratch today, these National classes would be automatic choices. I know that the Wellington boys changed their roster about 3 years ago to adopt the National classes and they are very happy that they did. We used to do it. When Wongy ran the Nationals back in the day, all the National classes were club classes for our group. 

Adopting the National classes would mean more of our crew would consider running at the Nats. As a club, I think that's the sort of thing we should be encouraging. And, importantly, the National classes are picked so that racers compete with the best available slot cars in the market. 

The best cars to run in my race collection are NSR and Thunderslots. Hands down. They're also very good value. Scalex cars are $100 now and by the time you work them up, they are often $160+ to get on the track. NSRs and Thunderslots are $140 and you don't need to spend any more money on them. I know which brands I'd rather race.  

I definitely don't think that lower motor RPM = closer racing. Regardless of which classes we choose, the same handful of guys in our group will almost certainly be out the front. It is what it is, but I don't want to feel guilty for winning more than most or lapping slower cars. I always try to have the best car choice for each class and set my cars up to the best of my ability. 

And hey, I like winning, but the part of the hobby I enjoy the most, is setting up cars - not racing. I wish more guys in our group put more effort into their cars. If anyone ever wants any assistance or advice in that department, I am always here to help. 

• Like 2

Podiums are for short people.

I also think we should keep GT1. We race slot cars. That's all about speed and handling. I am not a 'fast slot cars at all costs' sort of guy, but it seems mad to cull what is currently our fastest class. Going as fast as you can on a slot car track once every 5 weeks is my idea of fun. 

• Like 1

Podiums are for short people.

I love racing the NSR Classics, NSR F1, and Thunderslot cars cars at Tony’s, a very high speed track and generally very little carnage ensues.

I am withMac on that front. I can’t wait for the Thunderslot Mustangs to turn up, I haven’t yet got my muscle car suiting me, the Mustangs should help with my tuning deficiency.

• Like 1

What Pedro and Mac said

• Like 1

JK

1 x Porsche 997 Constructors Cup Co-Champion

1 x Fly Classic Enduro 2013 Co-Champion

1 x F1 Classic Shootout 2016 Co-Champion

1 x Harmon Memorial Cup 2016 Co-Champion

2 x PieBone 400 Co-Champion

Results below so far after 15 participants! 

Answer Options

Votes

Percent

Aussie V8s 13                         28.89%
GT1 5                          11.11%
NASCAR 5                          11.11%
BTCC 4                          8.89%
LMP 3                          6.67%
Pre 65 3                          6.67%
Aussie Touring 2                          4.44%
GT3 2                          4.44%
Fly Classics 2                          4.44%
Group 5 2                          4.44% 
Muscle Cars   1                           2.22%
65-80 Sports 1                           2.22%
Group C 1                           2.22%
DTM 1                           2.22%
Scaly F1 0                           0.00%
Total Votes 45

100%

Scaly F1 the only class no one wants to see removed! Aussie v8s overwhelmly voted for. Read what you want from these results.