manic35

Digital Anyone???

Rate your interest in Digital racing;  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Rate your interest in Digital racing;

• 1) I've tried it, love it and wouldn't go back,
    • 2) I've tried it but couldn't see what all the fuss was about,
    • 3) I haven't tried it yet but I'm sold on the idea,
    • 4) I'm still waiting to see how things develope with the various manufactures,
    • 5) I have absolutely no interest in Digital racing.

With Slot.it announcing they have just entered the digital market I was thinking it was time for a poll on digital racing. I'm a 3 or 4 in the above poll, with more and more manufacturers entering the market I'm starting to get sold on the concept.

I'll wait and see how things develope.

Still not keen on running my good cars ( slot.its included ) on digital and potential for damage. So I would currently not bother to convert my current slot.it cars.

Well I'm definately in the first category, but should clarify that I don't see it as a 'wouldn't go back' situation.

I have a 17M layout of SSD in a spare room (albeit somewhat cramped and impossible to marshall), with 5 lane change sections. I love my layout, and the only tweaking is switching the lane change types - playing around with an out-in and an in-out to improve racing options.

I've now got a total of 16 digital cars, and 4 F1 chips waiting for me to decide where to put them. I was about to chip a pair of Slot-It 962's, or 956's, but might have to hold that thought with the Slot-It announcement at the NSCC swapmeet over in the UK. It seems their's will be an improvement over the original, but better current handling. I especially like the idea of the integration of their lighting board with the SSD decoder.

We've also managed to squeeze a 9M Carrerra layout into on of the kids bedrooms to keep the analog balance.

So while I'm an avid digital supporter, I don't feel I've abandoned analog. I still enjoy analog racing, and don't see that stopping. Digital racing is very different, and just as much fun.

Neither is better, and I'm glad I don't have to choose one over the other.

...and don't forget - Fly have signed a similar licensing deal to do SSD as well.

I am in the second catagory but have only tried an early Carrera system so I don't think I can really give a true indication.

I think that as things move along over the next year or so it will become more popular and also as the systems become more refined and give better response. The feel of digital is the one area that I didn't like but I am sure it will improve.

I think the whole aspect of being able to block and plan passing moves is a good one so I will wait and see. Maybe I need to give the other systems a try.

I think that as things move along over the next year or so it will become more popular and also as the systems become more refined and give better response. The feel of digital is the one area that I didn't like but I am sure it will improve.

I think the whole aspect of being able to block and plan passing moves is a good one so I will wait and see. Maybe I need to give the other systems a try.

Vinno,

I haven't tried Cararra digital yet... one day i'm sure I'll get the chance though :rolleyes:

Out of the box, there is a lot going for the SCX digital system, and I think that could well become the local 'don't want to tinker' buyers choice. They have a nice out of the box solution, that caters to many, and some good plans rolling out during the year - but several limitations too.

IMHO, Scalextric SSD is likely to get some buyers in the above category, but mostly it is suited to slot racing enthusiasts right now - simply because to get the best out of it, and generate the kind of performance that will make die hard analog racers buy into it, you do need to do some work if you want to host serious racing with more than 3 cars.

It DOES need extra power, and not just the purchase of the second transformer, but an external, regulated, variable PSU with plenty of Amps. Scalextric are reported to be bringing out a revised version that will have more power (the decoder chips take 1.5 - 2.0 Volts from the supply).

It DOES benefit from separating the lane change power from the powerbase.

It DOES need basic solder/craft skills to retro-fit the decoders in to your car collection.

All of the above is well within the capability of most here on AUSLOT.

What it needs, in my opinion, is for a couple of stores to setup a decent SSD track, with the above enhancements, so that people can give it a go and decide for themselves.

What's also great, is the way it is evolving.

Ninco might be interesting for some too - if it ever gets here!! Just a retro-fit chip, no need for drilling chassis to place a sensor - guess they are going the RF signal route instead.

Go on guys... give it a try, you know you'll love it really!!

Your comment abut the shops setting up some tracks is a good one. It would be nice to see Armchair, Slot Shop and Thunderbird with a running track. I say these three as I think Ged caters more toward the routed track racer which is fine anyway.

I know Roland has a bit of digital racing going on so I guess to some extent he is pioneering that side of the hobby here.

I voted 3 because analog and digital track don't seem to be track compatible. That's a pain for someone who has a lot of older analog cars and no space for a second, digital track. I don't want to keep swapping track pieces to suit the cars.

If anyone ever works out how to have the digital track pieces in place and just change controllers and cars to switch between analog and digital whenever you wanted, I'd be moving up the voting scale.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Hi Guy's,

I'm still waiting so No 4 for me.

I really like the idea of digital but as yet it has not hit the sweet spot for me.

As it matures I'll be looking forward to propper Pit stops and refuelling,

random malfunctions ( flat tyres, mechanical problems, etc) that will reduce the speed and handling of the car and lane changing at more points around the track.

Finally, I look forward to pressing a button or switch that will let me run all my analog cars as well. Some cars are not ready for the bash and crash of digital racing :o

Regards

NimROD

Evenin all.

Call me a luddite, but I'm a 5. Could go over to the dark side if about 35 metres of track and enough chips to mod my cars arrived on the doorstep out of the blue.

I've swung the other way, from magnets on plastic track to no mag on wood. And besides, if I want bash and crash I just need to be in the lane next to Vlad :o:):D

cheers!

Steve

TBDR.jpg

Hmmm, 25kilo of lead controlled by a 25ohm Fly handset could be interesting to watch.......behind bullet proof glass!

BRING IT ON!!

cheers!

Steve

TBDR.jpg

I voted for the second option. I tried out the carrera digital while back now it was alright, the track size we tested was small which made it difficult to really test it out properly.

also moved thi topic to the digital forum, cause thats whats it is about.

auslotforums.gif

I voted 3 but I wanted to vote 4 too!

As Neo said - the BLST idea looks fabulous! He's designed a Monaco set up for his mate to use that DAVIC stuff with so he'd get to run 15 cars. That would be so cool I think it would be a fine place to keep the beer on those hot summer days! :)

That said I have a fabulous time with what I already have and there are the problems with power etc. I think as time goes on Scaley will start providing different radius lane swappy bits and some straight swappy bits. this could be kinda cool. It'll be interesting to see what Ninco come up with too.

That said I'm going to Geds tonight to play on a routed track and I'm happy as a pig in mud about that. I think the reason I like Analog best at the moment is it's pretty much idiot (read Wonderdog) proof.

Once the boys get a bit older I'll probably look at going to digital though.. maybe.. depends what I have invested in the shed by then I suppose! It'll probably come down to "Do I have a big enough shed for a fun Analog 4 lane or if I'm limited for space I'll go Digital so we can all get on and play at once either way!" :o

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I wanted to vote 6 "I tried, I loved it, But have too much money tied up in my analogue track to swith over" :)

Man I got a sever case of Digi Fever :) when I tried it but have managed to recover by avoiding all digi locations for a few months :(

Keep it in the groove

Pete

I dont want to vote as i have'nt tried it but it seems to me that we may as well do away with the slot and race remote controlled 1/32 scale petrol/battery cars and be done with it.

Smoggy the ostrich

hi..i voted 1(i have carrera), but the same as tvwino, about the never go back :)

and it can be done ..a switch to isolate the digi gear from the analog stuff so you can run both...this is the go :)

cheers