It'S Got A Cop Motor, A 440-Cubic-Inch Plant. It'S Got Cop Tires, Cop Suspension, Cop Shocks, It'S A Model Made Before Catalytic Converters...

choc-ice

And lots of other cool lines; if you're of a certain age, most of them are probably buried deep in your subconscious. But what's this got to do with slot cars?

I'm glad you asked... when I was developing the 1977 Dodge police car one or two people mentioned that a Bluesmobile would be a cool thing to make. I'm sure we all know what it's like to have more good ideas than time to do them, so I parked that idea in the back of my head until, well, until its time came.

There's no 1:32 model of a Bluesmobile so far, or a '74 Dodge Monaco in 1:32 either. The '77 Dodge I did is close in terms of proportion but the front and back are quite different, and the waistline is different too. Thanks to Australian 3D artist Chris Erickson I got some CAD data for a Bluesmobile he created a while ago, and set to work. When Chris created his model it was carefully researched and beautifully created so it renders properly on the screen, here's a few shots

74-dodge-monaco-bm_rendertest7.jpg

74-dodge-monaco-bm_rendertest7b.jpg

74-dodge-monaco-bm23_test.jpg

But to make a 3D master, all the surfaces made from each tiny polygon have to be stitched together so they're perfectly closed. Want to see how many polygons there were?

3D_file_3.jpg

My paypal account took a hammering because stitching that lot together would take me forever, the 3D data came back after a few skilled hours

3D_file_1.jpg

3D_file_2.jpg

It's now a shell, 3mm thick so it can support itself. From there a high resolution 3D print was made and after some sanding and paint it looked like this

IMAG0655.jpg

IMAG0654.jpg

From there, it's simply a matter of giving it to a very skilled man who can cast the shell from resin. I think they came out really well.

IMAG0661.jpg

It'll be fitted to a chassis with steering and suspension, like the one on my '77 Dodge, click the picture for a youtube video

but I need less overhang at the front and a lower chassis because the '74 Dodge has a lower bonnet line. Back onto the CAD system again and check for clearances

Bluesmobileonchassisrear.jpg

Bluesmobileonchassisfront2.jpg

And that's the story so far. I need to get some graphics drawn up, and build the chassis and body. Should be the easy part ;)

3D modelling a slot car - Dodge Monaco

• 3 weeks later...

It'd be great to be able to sell the design and concept to someone for manufacture. The idea is great, particularly for those of us who don't mind a leisurely cruise around the track.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

These wallowing chassis are the perfect place to start for just such a thing. :)

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

The Cadillac is finished at last. The springs are still a little too hard but I'll adjust them down when I can find my Allen key :angry:

It's just like Saturday night TV when I was 9, the bad guys in trouble, Starsky being the hot head and Hutch playing it cool. Maybe he's just thinking of the royalties from Silver Lady...

IMAG0740.jpg

Click the link for a video with some great period music B)

That Cadillac looks like the same model that mob boss Tommy Gibbs (Fred Williamson) cruised about in Black Caesar (1973). Classic film complete with a soundtrack with James Brown, but you don't seem to get that soundtrack on the trailer I found online.

Here's the car though (1972 Cadillac Fleetwood):

i423295.jpg

Ah, looking at it from this angle it is a longer version than your Cadillac, with a different door and an additional side window

Edited by Burglar
ff48s6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So it will run well on regular Gas ROFL Loved it great vids gota get a blues brothers car when i set up

Edited by Zero

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

• 8 months later...

A car like this needs something to chase it, so I made this

IMAG1573_zps240dc751.jpg

And made some graphics

IMAG1592_zps82ea29f5.jpg

I modified the chassis too, so it's easier to build. It fits all my cars but it's about 30% quicker to assemble

IMAG1601_zps09af003b.jpg

And it works really well! I made the body posts on the police car a little longer so it sits higher, all the better for leaning through corners. Now I just need to make 60 more police cars :blink:

IMAG1660_zps6bd61507.jpg

Nice work... When can I get me one of these bodies?

Edited by shadow_rusty