San Phoeno Rally Track V3

phoeno29

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice! I quite fancy building a smaller rally track here at home like that. Forest stages really appeal to me.

I think more about slot cars now than I did about sex when I was sixteen.

logoforsignatureonSFI.png incorporating the Italian round of logoforWRP_zpsc822e290.jpg

...this is the BIG one!

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th October 2013

Castello delle Forme, Umbria, Italy

ahhhhhhh, back to the work that I first followed when I started building my own tracks...... great to See Phoeno

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

More pics please. That was just a tease. But I like what I see so far.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Mate, that looks highly detailed from what we can see, love the transition from road to grass.

How did you get you copper tape to stay down so good, I have to keep spot gluing mine as the humidity keeps lifting it up.

Would like to see a bit more of the track from afar as well so we can get an appreciation of the layout.

Thanks guys for the feedback. There is a bit of scenery to go and time is the issue.

I will photo graph an overall when completed. I have done a few different things on this track to the others, all knowledge chasing for the mega rally track that I plan to build one day.

To answer a few questions..

Graham - I have had tracks of varying types but small single lane rally tracks require more driving skill per metre than other tracks. So for me more fun. Pls the scnery side of things is important to me. (As i expect it is to you also)

SlotzNZ - thanks, the old info will be up on the new web site soon.

Embs - successfully teased :)

TeamRed and Johnsxr8 - ta

ZeGas - I like the really cheap weak stuff thats 5mm wide. To get it to stick, after painting, I sand the area about 6 to 8mm either side of the slot so the tape has a smoother surface to stick to. I have found on other tracks, when you rub the tape down, the paint breaks up into a powder and sticks to the sticky backing on the tape and not the table, so it lifts. Overall shots to come.

The track is actually outside the house, under the verandah under a tarp. I think being on the south eastern side of the house it only gets a little bit of early morning sun and doesn't get really hot in summer like my old tracks that used to live in sheds and garages. Always plenty of breeze where we live too. Not sure how it will go in winter but will find out soon enough.

One more shot.... the car is my SCX Proxy Entry but in the background you can see my tyre wall. I found these pressed rubber circles at reverse garbage in Brisbane, I bought the lot, $15 for hundreds of these things, they are about the right size for slot tyres, just no holes in the centre but thats ok with me, ready made scenery !!

IMG_4191x.jpg

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

• 8 months later...

HI all,

Have been doing a little work on the track after my winter off. Joys of having an outdoor track and a busy work load which thankfully is quietening down leading into Christmas.

Whats going on....

old tape coming up and new tape going down.

trees being replanted

6 car shed being added as per Embers awesome tutorial and examples for aging wood. (Thx, you're brilliant and made it easy to do)

armco fences being added sparingly with Squeeze's left overs.

Still got a fair bit to do including a control tower with view platform, more signs, trees etc

For those of you who like photos (think there might be a few of you here).....

Strips of balsa, 1.5mm thick and 12mm high, aged using Ember's technique.

4cf0204e264f11e2b3f322000a1f96e5_7.jpg

Back wall and roof of old shed coming along.

55b0661e26f211e2896922000a1fbe1a_7.jpg

Diecast Mini behind shed.

0d51b53230af11e2af1622000a1fb845_7.jpg

Diecast Loeb Xsara in shed.

2e144fe8315711e28d2722000a1f8fa0_7.jpg

Armco fences from Squeeze

9b618c1e2ed211e2890a22000a1fbc9a_7.jpg

Armco fences going in. The posts are pre cut balsa in a bag from Bunnings and other craft places. About $12 for 100 odd pieces all cut the same. A little big on the scale side but stronger. I have a pop rivet in the table with 12 mm cut off the top and the balsa pushed on and super glued to the fence. Will let the 4yr old test these for me but they hold firm with a good wiggle by hand.

7e14603032a311e2891a22000a9d0ec6_7.jpg

The barrels are a war gaming scenery item, $18 for 18 barrells althou some are glued together in 3's and 4's.

Great job with the weathering of the timber. I guess it doesn't rain or hail in your area eh? stirthepot.gif

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Thanks for the comments. Glad you like.

DM - yes you can hang the tail out there, only true hairpin on the payout and drift it rough the back of the garage.

The garages will be a feature when completed. I did make up the pieces for a roof but wasn't happy with the finished result so am going back to do it again. Thank again to Embs for the tutorials, made it an easy process for me, can't thank you enough.

The armco and balsa posts look good, i tried a few things, found thin timber for the cladding (not sure thats the right term) on making model yachts ok, painted white two strips high with a gap in the middle was ok but not quite right. Very happy with the armco's just making sure I don't over do it and loose the effect.

The original idea for the design was to have the middle part of the left end elevated and a tunnel basically where the orange car is going from front to back of track. Didn't work out this way with the table constuction method.

Hope to post a video soon of myself and master 4 running 4 or 5 cars at a time in CAR WARS !!! A tribute to the old Autocross days !

Always happy to help. And if you've found anything useful that's a huge bonus.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

• 2 weeks later...

Been downstairs working on the shed which is now finished (well 95%) and a few other bits coming along nicely.

2 weeks holiday over Christmas should finish it all off.

eb1a285242c211e2bbd822000a9f15da_7.jpg

A shed full of WRC and JWRC cars

39616f0442c111e2b8e822000a1fbcc7_7.jpg

Ninco Seb Loeb

04a658c6420b11e2ab6722000a9e087c_7.jpg

Carlos Sainz SCX Skoda

d331581040e611e2ac5022000a9f18b3_7.jpg

Added some extra bracing for the roof