Nz Proxy Race 2012 - Round 1

SlotsNZ

Hi all,

qualifying was run tonight. I was unable to fix the last 2 cars in time, so they were given 999 second times, I'll work on those tomorrow or Thursday.

Thanks to GJH-NZ and Craig S. from club who came over and did the qual with me.

And yes, ONE car hit the floor - my own entry, first corner, first lap......but I don't think I did any damage apart from a missing stack or two, hopefully find int he morning light.

First snip below is with all the Category B cars together at top, 2nd shot is the overall positions.

I also ran my 2010 and 2011 CanAm entries to give a comparison. They are in green at bottom of first picture.

And lastly, qualifying from the final round, Round 9 last year on the same track. As there are several re-entered cars, this is quite an interesting comparison as well.

My 2011 car was 0.08 slower tonight than last year.

macs car is .12 FASTER than last year. Albeit, his car has been worked on for this event, my 2011 car has just sat around and used for informal racing with no TLC for 6 months.

NZPR%20Qual1a.GIF

Qualifying order

NZPR%20Qual1b.GIF

Qualifying LAST YEAR

nzprqualR9.GIF

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I presume so, one seems glued, one seemed like never been glued, but I only lifted it part off the hub to see how loose it was.

I think better he take a penalty and I'll fix it.

I think you need to take him aside and give him a spot of tutoring on car tuning. Your car is much better.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Yahoo - so it begins :)

Happy with the Alfa, was worried the gearing may have been too tall, but the longer race will confirm one way or another if it make's the Alfa easier to drive or not.

The Mclaren meshing will sound a bit rough as had to trim the gear teeth down a bit to get the ground clearance and hadn't done done much milage - should get smoother thru the rounds. The shudder in the corners is that when you brake into the corners - maybe too much brake on controller, I setup my cars to flow thru the corners rather than the squirt and brake.

Orakei Racer

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

Hi Mike

yes that's when I got the shudder, but more brake means later braking, faster cornering - well that's my style anyway.

We haven't set any "stnading orders" for dirvers or controllers, other than - make each car do as many laps as possible in the alotted time.

So for racing each person will set up to suit.

The Alfa is very drivable on my smaller track, has enough speed for larger ones, so long s it has enough brake.

So both Malaysian entries didn't make qualifying - too bad. If they can be fixed by race day, then OK,, otherwise I think they'll have to be returned to me. So much for getting the cars ready for the race early!??

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

Thanks for getting my car running for this after the body drama.

Why is Stigs car in class A this year,when it is the same width and under 80mm wheelbase?

Hi Phil that's my error, I thought I had set the wheelbase short enought to push it into class A, as that was my stated intention on forum in the washup last year when I added the change with a max. wheelbase - I didn't have your car here to actually measure.

I'll transfer it to B as it does comply, but I had never felt as a vehicle it belonged in group B as it is so much larger than all the Group B cars.

I'll settle for smooth and predictable at this stage. Was going to change out tyres on this bus, but time is a tyrant, and when prospective 908 race car karked it...mad flurry, then into post. :blink:

Hi Chris

it seems much smoother than last year, more predictable. You must have done some work on it haven't you?

Mark I thought that was the intention re the Honker, when the " man in white" found it still complied he made some " Clarkson" type comment about New Zealanders, that I could not repeat in public!

Limiting the guide length may have been the way to go, as his car has the guide well out in front of the axle.

he's such a damn cunning coot. I suspect he has a mixture of english and tasmanian blood running in his viens.

i can imagine the comment - - but I am used to them . . . I have a whole club full of guys :lol::D or should it be :ph34r:

I'll settle for smooth and predictable at this stage. Was going to change out tyres on this bus, but time is a tyrant, and when prospective 908 race car karked it...mad flurry, then into post. :blink:

Hi Chris

it seems much smoother than last year, more predictable. You must have done some work on it haven't you?

I did manage to stiffen up the rear, and limit the chassis deflection that allowed the back rail to scrape in the corners while cocking up the opposite front!

You'll see the fix when you take the top off for the pics. ;) Also used old style popsicle fix to limit front axle travel.

Chris

H.M.C.C

The last 3 cars have had repairs done.

Bunyip just a tyre glued, Phang and Chenglaw had their tyres replaced.

I have applied some penalties as per the schedule in rules. I'll put it all up with the results later tomorrow night.

After rushing and getting my car ready I'm surprised and very happy to see it in the middle of the pack, after seeing all those 'Flat 6' motors I wasn't sure how the Orange endbelled 612P would go.

Front tyres are Slot-its and rears NSR Ultra's, (I Think) we usually use WD40 in our club (Launceston One Thirty Second Club - L.O.T.S) so I am not sure how to get good grip without treatment, but still happy with the qualifying postion, lets hope the wing doesn't come off first crash. :D

Thanks for the quick info Mark and good luck to all racers.

HgPanel

(Shane)

Heya Shane

car is lovely to look at lovely to drive, very smooth. It is a little down on lateral grip which is why it didn't qualify higher. But it is very stable, so it may actually gain a spot or two on the night.

it is surprising in proxys how it isn't always the potential lap time of a car that rules the results.

As Phil could tell us after organising many proxies and competing n goodness knows how many, it's about building a car that performs well on a variety of tracks and is easy to drive, and not prone to desltting easily when an unfamiliar driver takes the reins.

- I think that the wing being centre will reduce the likelyhood of it being taken out.

Hi Chenglaw

I decided not to try this time, as the last two times the internet connection was so slow that the picture was not very usable.

NZ Broadband is better described as "narrowband" or "the trickle" and I am at the end of a chain 5km from the nearest hub, seems to get worse each year

Round 1 Results

All the other drivers are on forum, so any questions, myself, Munter, SlotMadMac and NVmyre can answer.

The driving was very good, deslot numbers were low, mostly one per car/heat with the faster, more stable cars - except for the target on the side my my car :) or is that :(

AS you can see the best lap times were super quick for a 65 foot track with 8 turns.

Anyway, a dead heat, congrats to Mac and Phil K.

Apologies, there is a formula error in the class ranking column which I overlooked.

All the actual laps numbers are right, and are transcribed okay into the overall standings pages.

We ran my 2010 car to make a group of 4 in the lowest ranked group. It came 5th in 2010, but is about 0.15 faster now with my improving tuning ability, but would have still been only mid-pack in this company.

Click each image to get the full size version for reading

nzprR1results.jpg

It may seem strange that the gutter lanes had higher laps, but white lane is the fastest lane, and on Blue lane we had nvmyre, who with Slotjockey's exit from the hobby is the fastest hardbody racer in NZ, by a bit of a margin.

Most of the fastest lap times were posted on these two lanes, but I think I did the fastest lap for Orakei Racer on red lane, and one other car, - I forget which.

Phil - you can thank munter in person, when you bring him over a shoebox full of resin bodies for posting that 5.3 lap... and not falling off.

OVERALL Results

nzprR1overall.jpg

and Handicap Results - ooops, thought Charles was in the lead, forgot about penalties adjustment.

nzprR1handicap.jpg

Hi Mark,

yeah, sorry you do have that notoriety. It was 10 for the wheel inserts, and 5 for the repairs to the front axle.

Phang and Chenglaw got 10 each for the tyre change.

Others were 5 each for under 1mm clearance.

Will respond to your PM later today as I get a chance.