Slot-Dragon Timing System

slotcardragon

Hey guys - I've been talking to the lass that posted this on some of the slotcar groups on Facebook. She should really have teased it out a bit but being as English is a second or third language I think she missed the nuances.

This is a timing system for sprint races on the Plastic Fantastic. There's a video on the link that I'll tease out in a minute. Basically it's a drag race start, then you can set the race for as many laps as you wish. I'm actually planning on getting one for Mini-Me next time I have some spare pocket money.

I'll have a word with the Dragon & tell her what's up.

{If someone knows how to copy the video out of the linky & post it could you let me know how - it's a cracker!}

Edited by Eno the Wonderdog
  • Upvote 1

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

This the one you want Eno?

http://youtu.be/U0_AG4rgd7c

• Upvote 1

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Trousers.... Nope... Don't wear 'em.

But apart from that. My only concern is their warning that the system may not work for non-magnatraction 1:32 cars. And won't work with T-Jets. I'm guess that's because of the switching they're using. Am I incorrect in the belief that the motors used in HO cars are inclined to have stronger magnets than those in 1/32s as well as them simply being closer to the track due to wheel size?

I'll certainly be interested in your review Eno. It would be good to find a standalone setup with a reasonable price tag. Would be even better if it would handle 4 lanes and I could have it in my hands by 16 March for school fete. But that's just not going to happen.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I think the advertising says it doesn't work for non magnet cars (damn I sound like I'm selling it now). I don't get HO cars - I've never run them. I just thought it appeared a fun way to line up for sprint races.

Any lady that doesn't wear pants is a damn good one in my book. I like a skirt or dress. Why not take advantage of the bonuses one is given. (when I was a kid I had occasion to wear a kilt. Most comfortable trousers ever!)

• Upvote 1

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Everything HO works except Tjet and the older Life Like "M" chassis.

Some 1:32 do not work IF they have no magnets AND small motors or closed chassis.

However they will have a Photo Sensor ready in about 60 days but you will have to drill two 3mm holes in your track.

How do you think they should start a four land race? Can't use two Christmas Trees.

• 2 years later...

I have been using the slot dragon timing system for nearly a year now, and have found it excellent for two lane slot car racing. I bought mine from the link in their web site, and dealt with Daniel Tyler, the maker of the system. There are two ways to operate the system. One uses a magnetic sensor which clips under a section of track - you need to specify the brand of track. It operates only with cars with magnets. I found this to be not quite what I wanted, so purchased a light sensor system. It is necessary, but very easy, to drill a small hole next to each slot and install a light sensor. Once operating, it is very simple to specify the number of laps for a race. After completion of the race, a race time is supplied for each car, plus a best lap time and a reaction start time. which is linked to dragster type start. I have been very pleased with mine, and the service I received form daniel in America was great.

Dan lives here in Thailand but "upcountry", I think Chiang Mai but I've been wrong before. He comes over to my neighbor's track when he is in Bangkok. He is very passionate about his system. I appreciate the fact that is doesn't require a computer.

Maybe littleshark has an email address. If not I can dig one up, that is if anyone is interested.

Yes to the no magnet thing which is why I don't play while he is here. As has been said there is a light based system in the works. What I like is the false start system but would also like a little beep whenever I get an improvement in lap time. So I can go around and around to try and get a beep.

Whenever Dan is here anyone else at the track on the same day has a hoot running with his system.

Like anything designing it, although outside my area of expertise, may not be so difficult? The difficulty and effort is all in the volume manufacture and assembly.

Talking of slot cars and Thailand Munter is coming for a visit. He declined my offer as a tour guide :lol:

Edited by FLY in the wall

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

Can't understand why I would only go to popular tourist locations and my cousin's gem factory!

Edited by FLY in the wall

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

Hi again. I firstly purchhased the magnetic slot dragon system which came from America, but when I changed to the sensor system, it came from Thailand. I would strongly recommend a look at the website http://www.slotcardragon.com/ .It is great fun. For those who wonder about the accuracy of the lights as a timing system, I simply have a line in front of the sensors to drive up to. You may gain 1'10th of a second, but that is nothing over a race distance, and you can always call for a restart. I love the hole shot system, even when driving alone, to see if you can hit that magical.001 time without hitting a red light. Don't be afraid to email Daniel. He is very helpful.

Anyone who like "Christmas trees" may appreciate this?

Also from Thailand!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmcEDeouN4g