slotbaker

A Bit Of Lakeside History

Good stuff, thanks.

It takes me back to the good old days where there was so much more variety in the cars running in the touring car championship. Apart from having the legends facing off against each other. :D

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

Thanks for posting! I love how they say Dick won the race while showing a photo of him on the grass facing the opposite direction to the rest of the field! That Marshall got a different view of the actions. I've seen an interview with the two marshalls somewhere I think, a woman & man...

I think Lakeside & Ameroo Pk were the first 2 tracks I recognised watching touring cars on TV. Glad there are still a few videos of the two tracks floating around.

Still remember Dickie losing a race up there when his pit crew gave him the last lap board a lap too soon & he slowed down & was passed for the lead...1989/90ish?

peugeotory2.jpg

Some of my friends & I used to scramble over a back cattle fence into Amaroo Park from a track off of Glenhaven Rd -> Blue Gum Rd -> track. Local knowledge & all that... ;)

A great shame Amaroo was turned into a housing subdivision it was such a great track; not quite as demanding a Catalina, but certainly plenty hard for the BIG cars, all of which bought about such enjoyable close racing between the classes.

I'll always remember watching Gossie turn his blue HO (number 5?) over on its side two corners before the straight. When he got out of the car he looked like he was enjoying himself too... :)

Edited by inveterate retiree

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

Thanks for the memories. and speaking of Amaroo, I as a younger teen used to get in through the fence as well. The motor bikes were great to watch there as well especially the Castrol Six hour the manufacturers used to use that a lot to introduce new models. How's that saying go "first on Sunday sales on Monday" something like that.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday...

I liked the night events at Amaroo, watching the Mustangs with front discs glowing red..

Then there were the Mazda R100s screaming above everything else.... you could hear 'em right around the track.

Steve K.

Spent several weekends at Lakeside. Most recently last year for the Ferrari field day, although this was a lot quieter and less of a spectacle to haydays. Many memories of Beechey, Geoghegan, Manto, French etc. It is one of those great tracks where nearly all the circuit can be seen from most vantage points. The old tower is still there but in recent years they have built some block garages and added some variations to the track for bikes and karts. On the odd occassion I have had the opportunity to drive there I have become to identify it's challenges - finding the right line can be challenging, getting light as you change direction before climbing up to the top corner, but most of all, holding the right foot down through the main straight dogleg. Good to reminisce!

... holding the right foot down through the main straight dogleg.

Is that where Mr Moffat went bush in the Stuyvesant Mazda, and effectively ended his racing career?

:huh:

Steve K.

Back in the the 1980's a mate & myself went to the Australian Supercart racing at Lakeside (they're the stupidly fast carts with gearboxes). We climbed up on top of the control tower and watched the racing from there. A damn fine day at the races!

Slotbaker - I thought Moffatt going bush in the RX7 was the flat righthander at the old Gold Coast circuit? That's been paved over too (grrrr)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

"Slotbaker - I thought Moffatt going bush in the RX7 was the flat righthander at the old Gold Coast circuit?" 1984.

Surfers was a great circuit. Have lasting memories of RX3's 4's etc screaming down the main straight then going completel silent as the the rev limiter cut cut ingnition, coming back on for a few seconds, then silencen then screamong again. Talking to some competitors there was an art in making sure the power wasn't cut entering the corner at the end of the straight.