Sign in to follow this  
SlotsNZ

Analogue 3 Lane; With Oxigen Digital Dual System

Now that oXigen is here I am finally going to dip toes into the digital world.

For the base I have some already routed 3 lane modular sections in 9mm MDF.

Once trimmed they will by 90 x 180 cm and 120 x 120cm

So in this configuration, length is 4.5 metres, and width is 3 metres.

ie, it fits in one side of a double garage. Suitable for schools, churches, rotaract fund-raisers, displays etc.

The ordinary driver stations will be along one "base module" straight, and when in analgue mode, it will simply be a 3 lane modular track which can be pulled apart and stored, then reassembled in any desired configuration.

We will be using as lightweight a grade of kiln dried dress timber for framing as possible, and all wiring will be tucked away neatly within the framing.

I am starting with 6 modules as pictured below.

When in analogue mode, the lane changers will simply rest in place for cars to drive straight through in fixed lanes.

Analogue timing will be via "cross slot" IR sensors, so there is nothing above the track surface except the barrier walls. A hole in the top surface of one module will have a base plate recessed into the bottom plate of that module, with a short, stubby metal post over which a post of sleeving diameter will be placed holding a timing display screen when assembled.

Haven't decided on PC placement or mounting yet. Wiring will be created on the fly as GJH-NZ and I build; - well mostly he builds and I make a nuisance of myself in close proximity when he can't think of anything to send me our for as gopher, chef or apprentice; to as to get some PAQ.

For O2 mode timing, I will place some magnets recessed in each of the outer two lanes at track surface level to trigger lap counting, and for pitlane entry (the inside lane will become pit bay) magnets there as well.,

To move to O2 mode, all that is required is to unplug the controllers, and plug in "dummy-plugs, which bridge out the controller input wire to the output pin of the socket, and thus feed fixed 12 volts DC (or anything from 9 to 30 actually), onto the track. After that, start the O2 software, put cars on track, I.D. them to controllers, and start racing.

The modules will fit comfortably in my wife's station wagon, and can be taken to any events we fancy as a club, or for promotional purposes.

Running length in this configuration is between 14 and 15 metres each lane going by my rough calcs.

Here's a tidier shot, using someone's software to make almost the same design.

6modules.jpg

I am still undecided about location of the lane changers, so very open to advice from digital users.

I am almost loathe to put any on corners. (what is the experience of SSD, N-Digital and Scoprius users in that regard, and in terms of length of lane change?)

I intend making my own flippers - CAD designed, CNC cut in 5 or 6mm acrylic to be much longer than bought ones, so that lane changes can take place more gently - say 10cm of lane movement over about 50cm of track running length. - Any longer and I thought perhaps the car changing lanes becomes a semi-permanant road block for following vehicles.

Someone here Rick? DM? Camber? has built in routed wood, so I am all ears for advice, and even "Doh you thicket, that won't work, listen to me...."

Which reminds me, I better go dismantle a lane changer and get the flipper in the mail to my CAD guy.....

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Hi SlotsNZ, I am thinking of doing my own 3 lane routed track but want to get my design right in a limited space, what was the software you used to get the design?

Good luck by the way, I hope it all turns out.

Hi Force,

I used the SLotFire Germany software to create a basic layout, but the actual modules I have created and pre-routed were done for me by a univserity CAD student. He made a few messups, so we are having to re-route on module by hand, and tidy up 1/2mm errors here and there.

If I decide to route more, I will send them over to my "CAD-Gun-for-hire" who CADD-ed Oakland Raceway V2 for me.

He is now living over there in Queensland if you want work done. He isn't on forum, but Perro will be able to contact him. he went racing t their club last friday.

ps. - my work first!!! I have "jobs" for him :)

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self

Hi SlotsNZ,

Nice to see another dig/analogue wood track coming along.

My new track is along the same lines as yours, 3 lane digital and analogue set up for 1/32 & 1/24 hard body racing. We had our first analogue race meet last Friday night and it went silky smooth using Trakmate with deadstrips (will move over to Race Co-ordinator when I get familiar with the software). Digital is not operational yet.

I have moved away from using CLC’s on this track and only have SLC’s now, main straight are 900mm long and shorter straights are 700mm long. My main aim was to have two completely separate (and pure) forms of racing which has grown to be more complicated than I anticipated.

I was finding that dead flippers were very annoying, both from the frustration of having cars stop on them and seeing the slight hesitation in the cars as they passed over. I am no electrical expert, but I found that having live flippers in both digital and analogue took a bit of figuring out due to the polarity change that occurs in digital racing and the isolation of the two circuits on the one flipper. Basically I'm using lots of relays to isolate the different circuits. If you are making your flippers from acrylic then your flippers will be dead which makes things easier.

Are your lane changers going to be longer than typical plastic tracks? If so dead flippers will be less of an issue but not as fast as longer LC’s.

Looking good,

- Cam

Edited by Camber

Hoo Roo

Hi Cam

I am aiming to make all lane changes on straights 50cm long - which is about twice as long as on plastic track I guess.

I have 10cm lane spacing, and intend to make a slight "swallow tail" shape in the LC section rather than a straight line. That's part of the reason for making my own flippers, so they can be a bit longer, and also concave surface where the guide runs, to build into the change, not a flat surface at an angle to the straight track.

I feel that live flippers is way too much of a pain, but I cannot imagine that a "dead" piece of track the length say of a flipper - even the elongated ones I am planning could really cause MUCH disruption to a car, as I have driven a track with dead strips longer than that, and you could barely notice them.

The longer lane change means less disurbance to the car, and so hopefully the higher lane change speeds it allows will also minimise the problem created by dead flippers.

- I'll know in a few weeks eh......

CLC - does that mean curved Lane Changers or cross land changers.

SLC does that mean straight lane changers or single lane changers. - See, I don't even talk digi-speak yet.

I am not using ANY "X" lane changers, I think that would be a total pain, and hard to implement on wood without being dead straight along the line of the lane change, and I want a bit of curve in my section of track changing lane.

All my lane changes are on straights except 2.

One is on the outside lane of a sharpish right hand curve, where it actually creates a "best line" almost touching the lane inside it, then exits on the same lane. - So it doesn't change lanes, it is just a"device" for the smart driver to take a better line through the curve.

(It also forms a learning device for me, as I am considering a BLST track later, and I want to see the lap time relationship between both fixed lanes, and this "better racing line")

The other one DOES change lanes, but actually eliminates part of a turn by changing lanes, - it is in effect, a short cut.

Much of what I am describing could be implemented well or badly, as they say "the devil is in the detail" so I try to think through the driver situation as they take each corner, and how cars will respond.

BTW, I thought about ising dead strips, but it meant another set of breaks in the braid. How long have you made yours? Any close-up pics anywhere?

So your thoughts on all that in principle would be much appreciated.

"I feel that live flippers is way too much of a pain, but I cannot imagine that a "dead" piece of track the length say of a flipper - even the elongated ones I am planning could really cause MUCH disruption to a car, as I have driven a track with dead strips longer than that, and you could barely notice them."

Depends on your track, in this photo the red lane has 4 flippers over 100mm long in a row, you can notice the dead spots coming out of the corner. It's mainly a problem out of slow corners when trying to accelerate the car. Yes live flippers are a real pain, but in my case are worth th effort.

track2003.jpg

"CLC - does that mean curved Lane Changers or cross land changers.

SLC does that mean straight lane changers or single lane changers. - See, I don't even talk digi-speak yet."

Yep

"I am not using ANY "X" lane changers, I think that would be a total pain, and hard to implement on wood without being dead straight along the line of the lane change, and I want a bit of curve in my section of track changing lane."

Neither did I, just single diagonals. I hand routed this time and dropped the flipper assemblies in after it was routed.

"BTW, I thought about ising dead strips, but it meant another set of breaks in the braid. How long have you made yours? Any close-up pics anywhere?"

I contacted Trackmate and went with their recommendation, 1" space either side and 3" dead strip. Works fine and you cannot notice it in the middle of a 6m straight. Dead strips have been around since Moses was boy, they work and are reliable. From what I have read, windows based timing isn't super accurate and the trackmate interface eliminates these inaccuracies as the timing is executed in the interface and communicated to the PC.

track2002.jpg

- Cam

Edited by Camber

Hoo Roo

Hi Cam

thanks a bunch for the info., thoughts et all, and the pictures - which always make the kilo of verbage :)

I was going to use in slot sensors, but I am pondering again whether to use dead strips. - I have a Trackmate D.S. harness sitting there.

I'll use Trackmate for analogue timing, and am pondering using PC Lapcounter for the software, as I can use it for both Trackmate in non-digi, and in oXigen mode. Could just be helpful to have to only remember one software system when on the track - but I can have the TM and RC software installed as well anyway.

Daniel's native software is still the easiest/fastest to start and run.

I'm getting a copy of PCLapcounter from Guy in a few days, so I'll have my first learning experience on it as soon as I've got the first round of the NZPR out of the way.

Interested to see how you have run an LC from one lane to the lane next to it, then one back to original lanejust 30cm or so later - I have at least 2 sets drawn out to do exactly the same so you can yank one way, then undo the change if you want depending on what other drivers are doing.

I must be starting to develop a digital mindset...... - lets hope......

Ah - and you know what's best about all this? You're doing just what I have planned so I can sit back, let you do all the work and then copy wildly!

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Okay, some progress.

Have not seen or heard from GJH - between his emergency repairs for someone else's property, and my weekend away.... but he must have been on the job, because I dropped into the lock-up on my way home from Viv's and found these.

modular010.jpg

The rest of the module sections are lying flat on floor in the shot below. But this gives a better idea of the concept than the earlier shot with all flat sheets of MDF.

modular012.jpg

Will the number of cars on the track be greater than the number of lanes? Club nights could be split into halves with one half racing and the other half marshalling. If this is to be a fixture on the Hastings/Napier roster that is. Sure hope it will be.

5 x National Champion

2 x National Enduro Champion

2 x HBMRC V8 Supercar Enduro Champion

Hi Craig,

limited to 20 cars using Slot.it's RMS or 32 using PCLapcounter with the oXigen dongle...... but it might be a bit crowded on track :lol:

I am thinking I'll set up maybe 8 cars at this stage as house cars. . . . I'm thinking Group 5.

It also means I have to supply that many controllersm=, or at least oXigen cartridges for them.

Trying to remember who else in club has a Slot.it controller - Ross, .... I think Chris might still have one...

Waiting to see the Racer Chassis for the Capri, to get an idea whether we might be able to cobble old Fly brand Group 5 Capri, Lancia, BMW M1 and 320s onto it - also Revell Group 5 320 and so on, to give more body and livery range quicjer than Racer intend bringing cars to market.

Those chassis will be digital plug ready, so it makes it easy to chip them.

With 6 modules, and a running length of around 15 metres, that is pretty "full" in digital terms - track length per car.

The old guideline was 3 runnng metres per car, but this is about 2.

Are you planning on separate modules to power analog and digital 'tracks'? or having some sort of cutout so you can't fry the systems if you turn both on at once? ..or are you expecting it to be run by sober adults & not kids?.. or..

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

No different modules, and it is simply impossible to have any lane running "both" at the same time.

To make it "analogue" [ invalid term but we use it ll the time] - turn on the power supply and plug in a regular controller to the XLR

To switch it to oXigen, remove controller, plug in an XLR plug which has the controller input pin shunted to the output pin (brake not connected), voila, that lane now has 12 volts DC on the rails for oXigen. deal done. It is now digital.

Everything else digital is simply wireless signals between controller, dongle and car chip.

I have been running one lane of my regular Oakland Raceway like that this week, chipping cars, learning how to pair up controllers to cars etc, and getting my head around the idea that I can stand in the entrance, or driveway and drive a car wirelessly. All I am lacking is lane changers as there obviously arent any built into Oakland V2.

The only impractical thing is that you would not want to run some lanes digital, some lanes regular because if a car jumped lanes from one to the other it would either be a regular car just getting live 12V from an O2 lane, and would crash off the track, or in the other case, an O2 car on a regular lane would be limited to "life" only when the actual driver of that lane was providing his own car with at least 9V to liven up the O2 chip so it could talk to the controller.

no....sigh

- Ah, first the builder was crook for a bit, then as he came right, "D2" (daughter No.2) decided she was moving home, so the lockup has a pile of her junk in it, so can't do any work there.

But I wasn't too worried in the end, because I had a Ninco flipper over in Oz, to create a CAD file from, but other matters relating to flippers and electronics came into play, which muddied the waters for me.

Hopefully back onto it this side of Christmas.

hmmm, just looked at the pics. . . . we have more modules framed, and standing upon legs - maybe all, not certain, and GJH-NZ HAD finished some tongues, ready to fit the latching to hold modules together. He was at the hunt the latches day when everything came to the screeching halt.

Hey ther Slots Nz Cad track drawer at your service!!! I like the part in your forum when you say Ace Cad man then I relized it was me :-)

Hey with the flippers do you still want me to look at them? the track is safely in the wardrobe waiting for direction! Or are the better options with the flippers?

Cheers Rod

Heya Rod

been a bunch happening here, was going to send you an email, couldn't find your address, and couldn't remember your new handle on here - so this message is very timely.

The sad bit is that Grant who was helping me build this modular track died suddenly a few days ago.

I had already decided to make this modular up as analogue only, a couple of weeks back due to some other technical developments.

So I'll send you a p.m. and you can email me from there.

I also have someone wanting to build a copy of Oakland V2, who may need slight CAD alterations.

Rod, I have an idea I need to build and need a Cad Man - if I give you a drawing with dimensions can you help me out?

live flippers is easy........not sure if you are still interested but I have a proven patened method, I used a steel flipper with a small magnet in the track on each side that will hold it against the braid, its - on the left and when switched to the right it becomes + there are a few tricks tio getting it to work but I never had a failure

max dead area on any digital track should be no more than 2 mm

PM me if you want details B)

• Upvote 1

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Hi Paul

just back from overseas trip.

I am going analogue on this track, but BLST digital on my other build, so that has live flippers as part of the electronic build.

Thanks for the thought though.

BLST is only a lane changing system....im confused. BLST needs a digital system to run it.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Why so confused. The title was "Analogue 3 Lane; With Oxigen Digital Dual System"

When this was going to be my BLST track, it was going to be oXigen as per the very first line of the topic

"Now that oXigen is here I am finally going to dip toes into the digital world."

So I last said

"Now that I am keeping this track as a standard 3 lane track, the other modular track will be BLST

"I am going analogue on this track, but BLST digital on my other build, so that has live flippers as part of the electronic build.

Thanks for the thought though. "

Here is that thread. http://www.auslot.co...-in-hawkes-bay/

Should have some update/progress on that thread in a few days.

Hi Slots,

Sorted. But interested to know how BLST operates with 3 lanes not 2?

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hiya Rick

as BLST digital it would have used the 2 outer lanes as race lanes, and [part of ] the inside lane as pitlane - - and for re-slotting cars.

I would have used standard controller stations, but then shorted them out with dummy plugs to put the fixed voltage onto the track for the wireless digital, then remove them when desired, and presto, back to "analogue" Under analogue,

I would simply disable voltage to the BLST for the analogue racing, so cars would run 3 lanes and no changing. The electrical side of it wasn't too complicated.

But like I mentioned on P1, getting BLST to work well with a pre-routed track design was going to be a compromise in the flow. - All I would have been doing was routing some corner cutting and a little bit of cross lane stuff, and I decided that for the significant investment cost of BLST; this idea was not going to deliver a good enough result, hence keeping this one as a 3 laner and making a seperate digital track which will incorporate the BLST - rather than manual lane changing.

So eventually I'll have 2 modular tracks available for rental.

Where is your new track up to?

cheers

Ah even clearer.

Today Im off to a CAD guy to tidy up some files. Once thats done the guys will use a special program that measures automatically all the tool paths and then get a exact price. Then off to the CNC shop by Friday hopefully. Theres 38 sheets of MDF going into this one including legs and garages etc. But im going to hand route the braid recess as recommended by Camber to get a perfect consistant depth, although the slot itself and everything else will be CNC'd.

Then the long process of painting, braiding etc. Fun'n'games.

How are you going to lock your track pieces together on site? Im thinking of using the cam type levers they use on some ute trays, together with a few locating pins for vertical positioning.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com