Show Us Your Scaleauto 1/24

Guest jazzbell

Ian,

It pretty much depend on the track and the grip level. I have never raced a locked up car, but if you have a open and flowing track with high grip, then perhaps you can run it solid. There is not much you can do on these cars, but like all of these type of cars, the rule of thumb is;

- go stiffer to slide and looser when you need more grip.

- reduce the rear spur when you need grip and increase when you need slide.

- go positive rake for grip and negative to slide

- go longer on polar length for less slide and shorter for more

Beyond that make sure you start straight, flat and square on the complete car. Also remember less friction is more speed. Bearings have less drag than braids etc. etc. etc

Cheers,

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

Hi Ian.. Noel, Shane and I have never locked up the "H" plate. But like the plastic racers I have played with tightening and loosening the screws that hold the body on. Had a Jag that rattled badly coming out of turns.. weirdly, found if the body screws on one side were tight and the other side loose the car smoothed out and went much better... Go figure. :blink:

Err Justin.. you talking 1/24th? To the best of my knowledge all 1/24th Scaleauto's come with Ballraces all round as standard and not bushes (oilites). The clue is with most standard Ball races is to flush them really well with Shellite as they usually have some manufacturing residual in them that prevents them from spinning to their potential. Once you've go them spinning really well.. Dont oil them! Until they get to the stage where they dont spin well (or never spun well) its not worth changing them.

The next step up is the "gold" ballraces. They have a factory coating on them that seems to not require the same degree of flushing and maintenance.

You got me thinking.... So I went back and looked..... definitely bushes.

It is one of the earlier chassis, that may make a difference.

Mate, absolutely no idea where you found/bought that 1/24th scale Scale Auto chassis. I have been playing with these since their launch in 2009 and I have never heard or seen one with bushes.

Any way, to answer your question - as Kim indicated, just buy the best bearings you can afford. If they are steel, flush them good, if they are ceramics or golds, just run them until they don't spin any longer - then throw them away.

Cheers,

Jan

Hi guys,

The good news is that the first pre-painted Viper body has been released (the GTS-R Official Team livery) - in both a RTR car SC-7057

imagejpg4-1.jpg

and a painted RTR body SC-7057b.

imagejpg6-1.jpg

The lexan interior and window kit has also been released SC-7908 and so too the Viper metal body mounts SC- 8131.

imagejpg5-1.jpg

Please note, that the a new universal adjustable body mount has been release and that it will be evaluated and tested to see if it can be included into our National Regulations for this class.

Watch this space for all the new Scale Auto GT developments.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Busy working on one of the new Vipers and I must say the body is light.....

imagejpg3.jpg

....this is including the body mounts (but not the two body-to-chassis plates, about 5 grams) and lexan interior/window set and roll cage.......only need some paint and glue to finish. I would venture a guess that it will get close to the required 55grams as per our national rules.

And here is the completed body after painting and fully assembled, ready for racing. Obviously the paint and glue have added about 5 grams. It is my experience that the white bodies always weigh more after painting than the factory pre painted versions., even when only adding decals and just covering it all with a clear coat.

imagejpg6-2.jpg

If any of you are wondering what the lexan interior, window and roll cage on it's own weigh...

imagejpg2-1.jpg

....so with some paint, it will be just over 4 grams.

An interesting revelation has been the two front grills and two wings included in the white kit.

imagejpg1-7.jpg

The one grill is solid and you don't need the photo edged part behind it. The one wing is obviously aimed at the racer and you even get a set of rubber wing mounts to mount it with.

I will post more photo's as I progress with this very nice project.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer

Can't wait to see your chassis setup Jan,

Ian,

Whilst I will try the new chassis, without the magnet box (as we will not be using it at national level) - I will probably use one of my older chassis, which have already been blue printed and setup. If you want to see any of them, you should be able to find some info amongst some of the previous posts in this thread.

Cheers,

Jan