Show Us Your Scaleauto 1/24

Guest jazzbell

Guest jazzbell

Guy's as we all know the Scaleauto 1/24 class is taking off in a big way in all states in Australia so i think it's time to share tips on our builds for all to learn.

They are a good 1/24 RTR car to buy and with some modifications they are a great car.

So anyone with questions on builds fire away.

This was my first of many ,my Porsche. For all that know and who have driven this car it's a pleasure to drive and a rocket.

Just some snaps of the chassis top and bottom with a look at the rear end.

setupsforscaleauto004.jpg

setupsforscaleauto001.jpg

setupsforscaleauto003.jpg

setupsforscaleauto002.jpg

regards shane a

team thunderbird

This will be interesting to see.

We are racing these on Monday nights at Extreme-trax in dapto.

Out of the box they are woeful and need some work. Many off the guys sorted theirs early on and some off us are still struggling with set-up and in my case ability.

This is my first 1/24 scale car for racing, but the "old pros" have helped out heaps

We are also still running the original tyres, but are changing to sponge in a few weeks would should help too.

Guest jazzbell

IS that some sort of GLue under the back bearing holder Shane?

Chris once you guy's at Dapto stop playing with the standard cars and start building them to the world rules some tweaking can start happening. That glue you think is under the rear bearing holders are these .............

shims.jpg

The plafit ride height spacers or shims.

When the scaleauto is set up the ground clearance is around 2mm +. The rule is 1.8mm . To get the ground clearance down the plafit spacers fit under the scaleauto bearing hangers to get the ground clearance down perfectly in the rear end. Shims are not required when the 26.5mm front wheels are on.If you try and shim the wheels will not touch the set up board then.

Chris remember the thicker the shim/spacer the lower your ground clearance.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Edited by jazzbell

Guest jazzbell

With the standard setup, we are finding the quickest cars have the front wheels slightly off the deck. Do the the wheels have to touch the setup plate?

- Cam

Cam 6mm of tire must touch the set up plate in the rules. So yes they have to touch the set up plate.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

.........Well, not much happening in this thread so far............

Last Saturday we had the first major race event using the 1/24 Scaleauto GT format within the 2012 Qld. Model Car Championship. This series will run with three rounds on different tracks in three Qld. cities.

The regulations used are basically the same as being proposed for the MCN in Adelaide later this year except for the not applied hand-out rear wheels rule and a therefore lowered ground clearance of 1.4mm instead of 1.8mm.

NAR-2-2.jpg

NAR-1-2.jpg

We had all the current Scaleauto GT cars present. Porsche 997 RSR, BMW M3 GTR, Jaguar XKR and the Mercedes SLS and it has to be said that the current regulations do work well as far as the parity between all four body types goes. Altough we are still waiting on the Lexan light weight kit for the Mercedes SLS.

So we where not that surprised when a BMW emerged as the winning car for this first championship round with a Jaguar second and a Porsche in third place.

Of course, as in almost all classes, very much depends on the car preparation, set-up and the driving. But this combined is the challenge we do enjoy in model car racing.

To get one of these Scaleauto cars to the pointy end of the grid, needs a bit of work and testing.

Priority one is that all chassis parts are flat and are assembled straight. Make also sure that you reduce drag as best as possible by having all bearings aligned properly and running freely. Of course all wheels must not catch any parts of the body at all times.

ACEBMW-3.jpg

So with all chassis parts, spend some time bending and sanding.

Being a non-suspension chassis, the set-up differs a bit from a Plafit style chassis set-up, as it requires more weight to be put onto the guide rather then the front wheels.

Speaking of weight, it is important to get the car to its minimum required total weight of 190 grams.Therefore, as far as the chassis goes, you can select the appropiate parts within the regulations, to save some weight.

With the body, use the Lexan window and driver interior sets for the BMW, Jaguar and the Mercedes to get the weight down to 55 grams.

But in the end, it definately is the good looks of these Scaleauto cars what makes them attractive. Scaleauto has done a second to none job in producing these beautiful detailed 1/24 scale bodies.

ACEBMW-2.jpg

ACEBMW-1.jpg

And with Scaleauto's announcement about all the new releases coming this year, it should be a good class to get started in 1/24 scale.

Cheers

Werner

The regulations used are basically the same as being proposed for the MCN in Adelaide later this year except for the not applied hand-out rear wheels rule .......

Cheers

Werner

Hi guys,

Just thought I should rectify this statement. There is and never been any mention of 'hand out rear wheels' in the 2012 MCN rules for the Scale Auto class.

The ground clearance rule in the 2012 MCN rules are also clear; you cannot start at less than 1.8mm and due to any possible tire wear, you may never get lower than 1.4mm during or at the end of the race.

Cheers,

JanR

'The older I get the faster I was.'

I have developed "active" suspension based on the 1990's Williams F1. It will lower the ride height during the bracket and then when you stop power for more than 2 seconds, it will raise back up to 1.4. It is really very good and prepared to sell it for $50. Unfortunately no warranty and no guarantee it will work correct if you don't hold your tongue right. All cheques to Honest Pete.... :P

Pete

Richo

Nomad Raceway

• 3 weeks later...