phoeno29

Brisbane Proxy Race

Good on ya Jamie thats great, the more interstate cars the better.

As for who is driving.... this is taken from my first post on this thread...

Drivers - We have come up with a system that we think is fair for all. At Perros place we will require 4 drivers and 6 marshals. Each one of these places will be numbered 1 to 10. At the end of the first heat, each person will move to the next position. ie if you started on 1, you go to position 2 for heat 2. If you started at position 8 for heat 1, you will go position 9 for heat 2. When you get to position 10, you then go to position number 1. Same will apply at San Phoeno but with 3 drivers and 4 marshals. But only the finest drivers Q32 has to offer will be asked to participate.

After each leg we will report the progress back to Auslot and keep you all in the news as soon as it happens. Photos will be taken and if we get enough people to help out maybe we can organise (no promises) a video of all heats. Which we can burn onto cd and send to all entrants.

This is our first crack at something like this so we are looking to keep it simple. If all goes well we hope to learn from it and review it after the racing has been completed. We are open to suggestions for improving the event. Perro and I will discuss each suggestion one at a time and make a decision.

If Perro or I end up scheduled to drive our own cars we will swap with the person next to use.

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

We now have 14 starters.

Perro, CardsandCars, decraigs and myself from Q32/Auslot, other Q32 guys not on Auslot are Lindsay, Denis and James.

Manic and Hmcsat from Auslot in Bris, Vinno, IT Electrical, BoSlot and Bump from Auslot Sydney and Nimrod from Auslot Melbourne are also entering cars.

There is a fair bit of excitement about the event from the guys up here. Thanks to those interstate guys for trusting us with your cars, we will instruct all drivers to show some respect and drive at 9.5 tenths, we would appreciate it in return if we were sending cars to Sydney or Melb.

We also have Cyph who will be helping with the marshalling and driving but is not entering in a car.

People are still welcome to enter a car.

Hi Guys, this race sounds interesting and since I'm got quite a few GT RTRs in my stable, am quite keen to put in an entry. Just a couple of questions: When you specify "GT cars" do you mean "closed top cars" i.e. no open cockpit? Also would you accept entries for Slot.it cars like a Porsche 956 or 962? Just one other thing, I'm from Malaysia, do you accept overseas entries? :o

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

Hi Chenglaw,

Welcome to Auslot. Your more than welcome to send a car for the proxy race. Sadly, Slot.it don't make any cars suitable at this stage but we can only hope they do in the future.

Cars must be closed roof, so no LMP cars.

Keep an eye on the thread and in a few weeks I will confirm with all of those who said they would enter a car and post an address to send the cars too and some dates for the two legs.

Thanks Phoeno. O.K., count me in, may enter a Scalex GT40 or a FLY Saleen.

Lim

Hi Cheglaw,

Sorry, No GT40's. Modern GT Cars not classic ones.

Like these examples.... Macros, Vipers, Corvettes, Listers, Venturi's, Porsche 911's (not the rally cars), BMW M3's, Supra's, NSX, McLaren F1, Merc GTRs, Ferrari etc etc

Your Saleen will be perfect, please make sure the car confirms to the rules as specified in my very first post on this thread.

If the Saleen is entered, it seems like we are getting a good variety of cars. I am hearing whispers about NSX's, Supra's, Porsche 911 GT1's.

Magnets - can be changed for other brands, strengths etc but the magnet must be in its original position. ie no scaley bar magnets hot glued into Fly cars.

phoeno, just so I clear on this point...it is legal to change the magnet for another brand, (say a more powerful one) but it must be located in the same position as the original magnet?

Must the new magnet be the same size as the original magnet? Could you upgrade a Ninco 3mm button to a 5mm button in the same place?

Cheers Manic :o

phoeno, just so I clear on this point...it is legal to change the magnet for another brand, (say a more powerful one) but it must be located in the same position as the original magnet?

Correct

Must the new magnet be the same size as the original magnet? Could you upgrade a Ninco 3mm button to a 5mm button in the same place?

Correct

I guess the potienal drama is from running too much mag at Perros. Might be quick over 3, 4 or 5 laps but once the motor warms up the end of the heat might see the car unable to reproduce the same lap times as earlier.

Happens a lot with Scaley cars. (speaking from my own experience here, I am always getting the magnet bit wrong !) Depends on the draw of the heats too, your car might be in heats 2,4,6,8 by the time you get to heat 8, shes getting a bit warm and not going as fast as earlier in the night.

O.K. then, Phoeno. No classic GT40s. But what about the Scalex Ford GT 2003? :o Would that be going against the spirit of the event? The FLY Saleen RTR is O.K. for board tracks but will probably need a bit of magnatraction tuning for plastic tracks. Or if I'm too lazy to mess around with setting up a car, may consider entering the Scalex Corvette L88. :)

Lim

My use of the term Corvette was very general, sorry about that.

Without researching all the cars listed, i would say they are all 90's onwards so lets stick with that.

To clarify the Corvettes, lets stick to the Fly Corvette C5 and Scaley Corvette C6.

If I allow the L88 then I am going backward and fear a can of worms opening up.

GT2003 would be fine.

Right, Phoeno. Situation clarified, thanks. Will probably stick with the Saleen to be on the safe side.

Lim

No worries Chenglaw, to have an international entry is really great for the event IMHO.

We have had a couple of people come forward who are willing to put up a car each for prizes, not sure how prizes will be distributed yet. We will continue to wait and see what else we might end up with.

Thanks to both of the people who donated cars, an announcement will be made in June with all the details, dates etc

Phoeno,

It's encouraging for the hobby that there are people willing to put in their time and sweat to organise an event without material reward. Similarly, I think most of the enthusiasts entering this proxy race are not doing it for any material gain but purely for the fun and enjoyment of the competition, so whether there are any prizes to be had at the end of the day is quite immaterial. I'm more than happy to participate in the Brisbane Proxy Race as I have enjoyed model car racing since the 60's and there's nothing I would like better than to get to know other guys (whether 16 or 60) who share a similar interest. :o

Lim

I think most of the enthusiasts entering this proxy race are not doing it for any material gain but purely for the fun and enjoyment of the competition, so whether there are any prizes to be had at the end of the day is quite immaterial. I'm more than happy to participate in the Brisbane Proxy Race as I have enjoyed model car racing since the 60's and there's nothing I would like better than to get to know other guys (whether 16 or 60) who share a similar interest.

Well said Lim, well said.

Really, Sport version? I don't have one of these but my brother does and its pretty damn good on plastic, (Scalextric Sport that is).

Maybe I'll get one if the Sport is allowed....

Hey Manic, I don't think you'll go wrong with the Ford GT2003. I got myself one just today - pic here:

dsc04260small8hw.jpg

and that's my FLY Racing Saleen next to it. I ran the two cars at our local shop's Classic track and I had a real trying time keeping the Saleen on the track - no magnet, tail was sliding all over the place but a rocket down the straight, only problem was trying to complete a lap without falling off! When I ran the Ford, it was like night and day. it was smooth as silk, no problems at all with the turns and had decent speed on the straightaway. It comes fitted with a bar magnet just in front of the sidewinder mounted motor. I didn't make any changes to the car at all, just oiled the axle and motor bearings before running it. Well, if I can't sort out the Saleen to my satisfaction, I'll be sending in the Ford for the proxy - real fun and easy to drive! :)

Lim

chenglaw, I'm also a huge fan of the Scalextric Sport's cars, it was these cars that got me back into slot car racing. Such reliable top-performing slot cars! :)

The only thing that causes me some pause with entering a Scalextric slot car in the proxy is phoeno's routed track...I don't think they will fair too well :(

Thanks for the pic mate B)

Cheers Manic :)

Manic,

Scalex cars don't go too badly on the board track at all, just not as forgiving as other makes.

This is why the proxy race on two contrasting styles of track makes for an interesting challenge.

Hmm.... it's rather unfortunate I don't have a routed track available here for me to test out both the Saleen and GT2003, so won't know how they'll perform on non-plastic tracks, can only make educated guesses. I believe the Saleen can be set up to outrun the Ford on a routed track as I believe it was initially designed to run on European club tracks. Just need to get the right tyres on and some clever placement of weights - if I can find the space on the rather cramped ribbed chassis to put them! :)

dsc04262smalll8lc.jpg

Those ribs on the chassis pan will be a problem as any weight I put on it will result in a CoG raised a little higher than I would like!

One question for Phoeno - would it be O.K. if I removed the black rear wing from the Saleen before entering it for the proxy? It's mounted rather flimsily by 2 locating tabs clipped onto miniscule pins moulded onto the rear struts. I suppose the idea was to emulate full-size practice - let the wing flatten out at speed on the straight and resume an angled position when braking. In 1/32 scale, I very much doubt if it's of any benefit and its fragility will only mean that the wing will go flying off into the Land of Oz at the first tumble! :)

Lim

Lim, No worries about removing the wing, i do the same with some of my cars. I am not sure if this model of saleen fits into the engines as listed. If its the pro or race motor than I am sorry but its banned. Just the standard Fly Mabuchi motors.

I will ask Perro my partner in crime and the more 'technically' minded of the two of us to confirm.... Perro.... you there mate ?