Brisbane Proxy Race

phoeno29

I'd just like to say a big thank you to Martin for organising and running such a well run event. Well done Martin for providing everyone involved in driving the cars with a couple of terrific nights fun and entertainment.

Secondly thanks to all the guys that sent cars in. Without your faith and co-operation it would never have made it. Lets face it, a proxy race by name needs cars sent to a place away from the cars and owners homes so that complete strangers can drive them for their own amusement. I still could not justify it to someone else but now I have seen it work and work so well, I am now a believer. I am just so relieved and most happy to report that after a combined running time of nearly 25 minutes and 150 laps I am confiident to report minimal or no damage to any cars. (can you confirm Martin???) All I think we achieved was to wear some tyres down and motor brushes so well done to all drivers! :D

And lastly thanks to all the drivers of my Ninco CLK Mercedes. You guys drove brilliantly and were able to help the car realise it's full potential. So a big thanks goes out to you all! :P

I have to admit to being somewhat amazed at how well the Fly cars performed on the board track. I was expecting undriveable and unbalanced cars but in most cases the cars were a joy to drive. Especially Nimrods Marcos. For a front engined car it was so well balanced and with the mods that Martin suggested to the exhaust pipes I am sure it would be even better. I loved it. And then there was Chris' Carrera 575 Ferrari . Whisper quiet, smooth and possible the most fun of all to drive. I have reserved a space in the fleet for one of those beauties.

In closing thanks again to all who participated and to anyone pondering entering their own car to another proxy event organised with either Auslot or Q32 I encourage you to give it a go and to anyone wondering if they could run one like Martin did, just do it. I am sure Martin can help with any advice in that area or even myself if you're game.

Happy slotting to you all.

:D

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone wondering if they could run one like Martin did

Funny you should say that, Perro. Vinno and I were wondering how V8's would go on board and Scalex tracks. ..

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

V8's on plastic go pretty good. I don't own one myself but have seen them driven at Perros and other plastic tracks and they are fine. On a board track, they are not so good. BUT, the only board track that I have driven one on was Deions (CarsandCars) and its a tight track with lots of merges and patience is required.

As for running V8's in a proxy format, I don't think it would work as well as the GT class did as there is so much variety with GT's to provide cars with various characteristics, strengths and weaknesses if you like from one track surface to another but the V8 class has only minimal cars to choose from.

thank you to Martin

Having someone of your experience behind to back me up made it possible, and your track of course. Manic was so blown away by it, he had to have 4 days in Noosa to recover.

I am sure Martin can help with any advice

Absolutely, happy to help anyone with what we learnt who may wish to try a similar concept. It wasn't that hard, come up with a good idea, have enough people to support you in your racing group, have a good place to promote it and encourage people to enter (Auslot) and set a date for it.

I can only hope to get up there and meet you guys in person for some beer and pizza.

Sounds like a normal night of slotting.

I didn't know that routed tracks vary so much over the course of a race meeting so that's something to bear in mind for Boslot's new track.

My brother helps a mate of his with his speedway car and often says to me "We spent the night chasing the right setup for the track, but the track changes as the night goes on." Its the same with board tracks. Same car, will be 10% faster at the end of the night than at the start.

If I don't use the track for a week, give it a wipe down and start running a rally car for example as they clean the track better than anything else, the lap times will get better on average by 0.05 a second every lap for a while.

Ribbed and slick tyres behave better than each other at various times in the night. If your car has any setup flaws, out of round wheels, motor not glued in and a bunch of other possibilities, a board track will show you things than plastic tracks and magnets hide.

One thing I found interesting with the results of the two legs was that even thou we ran the cars for longer at Perros, the time thatcovered the top 10 was less than the time that covered the top 10 at my place even thou we ran the cars for a slightly shorter period of time.

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

A quiet afternoon at work and I find myself reading through this post from start to finish. I was reminded of some personal battles that came up during the lead up to the event involving Manic and Davenic, both of who were giving it to Nimrod. I noticed you have been very quiet since Nimrods Marcos gave you both a substantial beating ??

Phoeno,

I remember the entry form had driving instructions. What were the numbers for the different choices please? i.e. how many entrants opted for "Drive it like you stole it" etc. I'm not sure why you wouldn't voted for that but just curious if anyone did.

Obviously Manic must have put down "Drive the wheels off it", not knowing that it would be taken literally.... :P

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

lolol at Bump re manics wheels. Actually the funny part of that for me was the next day when my neighours were over and they mentioned the level of laughter and oohing and ahhing a couple of times. I think its when he lost his wheels each time.

As for the 'how did others ask to have their cars driven......' I only have a hand full of the entry emails here but this is what was said. I'll add others from home.

drive to win, but respect the car.

Drive it like you stole it x 2

At Perros, drive at 85 - 90% of the cars limit as I would rather the car stayed on and didn't loose time being marshalled. If other cars want to drive faster, let them, drive your own lane. On Board - push a bit more as car should be as quick as a Ninco JGTC car but should be more forgiving to drive

I am happy for my car to be pushed all the way to the limit as though it is your own car or like it is stolen whatever. However, if it is not competitive enough for a podium finish then back off. i.e. I dont mind if my car does really well and gets slightly damaged in the process but I will be unhappy if it doesn\'t do well and gets damaged as well.

While no one from Tassie sent a car I have read this thread with great interest.

I have been a proxy junk for about six years and it is graet fun to enter and drive the cars.

I am glad that you guys enjoyed all the work associated with running this event.

It is fun! Well done to all involved.

Now we only have to talk you guys into building some scratch builts and entering some Tassie Races>

Phil

I noticed you have been very quiet since Nimrods Marcos gave you both a substantial beating ??

I know that Manic has been away and had no internet access, but I did manage to call him and rub it in. He was so disgusted it the cars performance, I had to relay a message via MRS Manic.

Good on you Nimrod, you finally, stopped the banter once and for all.

Manic......cheer up buddy, perhaps you may get at least second last next time

Firstly, let me congratulate all the organisers, drivers and marshalls involved in the Proxy race. Unfortunately, Team Hellier performed poorly, coming in second last. But it was fun to have a go and perhaps learn something from the experience.

Vlad has been kind enough to ring me and remind me of the results, several times, which was good of him :angry:

I think he's pretty busy at the moment with work but no doubt he 'll be back.

I was quite shocked at how bead my car was, to be honest. I was talking to Vald, regarding our cars performance, especially mine. I ran this car at Geds a few weeks ago and it ran really well but obviously its not suited to Martins track.

What is your track painted with Martin? I know Geds is fairly rough/grippy, how would you describe your track?

Not that I'm blaming anyone else ;) but I'd be interested to find out.

Thanks again guys, and this is definitely something us Melbourne guys would love to do in the future.

Regards,

Dave

"I spent most of my money on beer, women and slot cars. The rest I just wasted."

Good to hear from you Dave and glad to hear Vlad is alive and smiling.

The track at my place is a lot tighter than what I can tell from Jed's. The photos of my track will show a lot of dark grey almost black areas on the surface, this is from rubber and wd40 which lays a rubber down and provides terrific grip levels. Paint is interior low sheen, no expense spared on this home brand stuf !

More power doesn't neccessarily mean more advantage at my place, smooth power and braking delivery and driveablility is the key.

You car is on its way back to you, I glued your motor in for you as this was the cars biggest problem in my opinion. Try it at Jeds with the motor glued in and it should go better that it already does.

Thanks for entering and we in Brisbane look forward to send our cars to you in Melb (and Sydney) in the future.

I know Geds is fairly rough/grippy

Here's something for you to consider Dave and others who are considering a board track. Rough doesn't always mean more grip.

If using slick tyres, the smoother the surface, the more rubber meets the road so more grip. If the surface is dusty, this is a problem and the cars will slip around until the dust is removed. (Vacuum, wet cloth or run the car and clean tyres on masking tape)

If the surface is rough, the dust won't matter as much as it will sit below the highest points of the rough surface and the slick tyres will only contact the track at these raised points.

I think a rough surface to stay more consistant during the course of a nights racing but a smooth surface, once made clean, will grip up nicely over the course of the night.

After a lot of racing in a short period of time, the track will have great grip. For some cars this may be too much grip so grooved tyres would be better as the tyre only has 50% to 66% of the surface of a slick tyres on the track which may provide a better grip level at the time for a given car.

Hope this helps.

One of our guys spray painted his track surface and it had a fantastic shine and was great to drive on for about an hour then would go off as the dust settled and rubber got put down. All the other tracks are roller painted and a bit slippery when first cleaned but once afew laps have been done are then good all night.

Most are painted with Semi Gloss enamel.

Phil

So it sounds like a painted routed track is more variable over a race meeting than a plastic one? Does that mean there is another element of luck during a race?

Say for example your car is drawn to race in the early and late heats, so less grip at the start and more grip in the end while my car is racing in the middle heats, so the track should be more consistent. That would make things interesting trying to setup a car to perform well, wouldn't it? I'm trying to work out how you would approach car setup not only for club racing but also for a proxy series and I'm stuck.

It's interesting because Ged has used a roof paint? I think. Its grey and has very fine grit through it. It gives good grip consistenly, in fact I'd like to use the same stuff on my track. I'll probably have to ask him what he used but it is definitely not gloss/acrylic paint.

Actually, now I think about it, is like a cross between blackboard paint and that non slip paint you use on the back steps.

I'd be interested to see what others use and if a proxy race was held at different venues, how the results would vary.

Dave

"I spent most of my money on beer, women and slot cars. The rest I just wasted."

So it sounds like a painted routed track is more variable over a race meeting than a plastic one?

For sure

Does that mean there is another element of luck during a race?
The outside lanes on most of our tracks are usually slipperier than the inside lanes and should be driven accordingly. Not unusual to see someone driving one car in the middle lanes with more power and a slightly slower or forviving car in the outside lanes.

All depends on the track thou.

so less grip at the start and more grip in the end while my car is racing in the middle heats, so the track should be more consistent

To a certain degrees yes. One of the things our group does to clean the track up and get a more consistant level of grip is to run an invitational class before we start with the points racing. This allows us to get the track cleaned up before the serious starts.

Over the course of 14 2 minute heats the track won't change enough to warrant changing the cars setup at all as far as tyres go. But from the start of the night (6pm) to the end of the racing (11pm) you should notice an improvement in grip on a track with a smooth surface.

I'd be interested to see what others use and if a proxy race was held at different venues, how the results would vary

A good car will always do well and finish in the top 25% of the field, lesser prepared cars will do well at some tracks but struggle at others but this is one of the great things of proxy races, their unpredictability.

Hi Guy's,

Sorry for being MIA, but work is really busy right now.

I'd like to say a huge Thankyou to Martin and Perro for hosting this great event.

Also another huge Thankyou to Deion, Manic and all the other drivers and marshals for making it all happen.

And not forgetting all the racers who sent in cars, well done.

I've really enjoyed being part of the whole thing.

As for the results, what can I say :D

I'm not one to rub it in too much, well not much more after the tenth time :P

The Marcos has always been a smooth runner on plastic and a great mag car. Thankyou to all my race Buddies who offered advice it realy paid off.

Dave expect a call "AGAIN" tomorrow :angry:

Manic, expect an email tomorrow ;)

Martin you had me in suspense the night of the final race.

squeezed in 10 min of net surfing just to see the results but had to wait till Tuesday, the only time I could get on the net again :lol::lol:

Thanks again to all involved, looking forward to the next one.

Regards

NimROD

So it sounds like a painted routed track is more variable over a race meeting than a plastic one? Does that mean there is another element of luck during a race?

I dont know about that but I have noticed on both Artin tracks I've owned that the track gets quicker throughout the night and ends up being grippyer by the end

This only works when running rubber tyres though as it seems silicon cleans the rubber off the track

This though would add an element of luck to the racing if your running mixed tyres cause if you follow a silly shod car into a lane it may be slicker than the heat before

None of this is proven of course but seems to be pretty right

Keep it in the groove

Pete

Thanks mate.

I'm heading down to Bunnings tomorrow so that'd be terrific.

The shed has arrived!!! Its in a shrink wrapped bundle on the front nature strip. So I'm hoping it will be up next week.

The routing won't be starting for a little while though as I am still finishing the babies room.

But I am looking at getting the table started as soon as I can.