Brisbane Proxy Race

phoeno29

After having had the idea for a while, Perro and I have decided to organise a Proxy race for GT type RTR cars in 32nd scale. The event will be a two track challenge to be held at my place and Perros'.

We would like to make it for GT cars like Macros, Vipers, Corvettes, Listers, Venturi's, Porsche 911's (not the rally cars), BMW M3's, Supra's, NSX, McLaren F1, Merc GTRs, Ferrari etc etc This is not a complete list just a guide, if you have something you would like to run, just ask and it will be considered. One car per person.

The Tracks

Mt Perrorama - 45m Ninco 4 lane. Long straights with a number of hairpins and some really fast flowing corners.

San Phoeno - 17m Routed (Copper tape) 3 lane. Short straights, lots of corners of varying degrees.

Motors - Ninco NC1 / NC2 / NC5, Scalextric and Fly Standard mabuchi motors, SCX Pro turbo's.... anything else you feel is in the same range performance wise, just ask, it will be considered. No aftermarket motors. First three cars in each leg will be checked for illegalities.

Gearing, weight, braids, wheels and tyres (sillicons are ok) are open, do what ever you think will make you faster.

Magnets - can be changed for other brands, strengths etc but the magnet must be in its original position. ie no scaley bar magnets hot glued into Fly cars.

Chassis - must be plastic and original to the car, no holes can be drilled into the chassis to lighten it and the interior must be included, no light weight trays, just as it came in the car.

Leg 1 will be at Perro's with each heat (4 heats per car) being of 15 laps. (about 10 secs per lap)

Leg 2 will be at San Phoeno with each heat (3 heats per car) being of 30 laps. (about 6 secs per lap)

Winner will be total combined time for each car at both tracks. We will work out closer to the time whether the two legs will be held on the same weekend or a weekend apart but it will be in July.

Preparation of cars - we will follow your instructions (please include with your car when you send it) on how you would like your car prepared for each heat. ie - clean with wd40, or voodoo drops, lick it clean, or leave it up to us to decide depending on the track at the time.

Prizes - at this stage, there are none. If anyone wants to contribute a prize, we won't say no, OR we could ask for an entry fee and buy some cars for 1st and 2nd prizes. This is very open to suggestions at this stage.

Cost - At this stage we do ask that you include an amount for postage to cover the return of your car. ie - If it costs you $7.50 to send your car to us, please include $7.50 so we can send it back to you. If a group of people wish to send their cars in the same box, divide the postage up between yourselves. We will send cars back in the boxes they came in.

Timing - The timing will be done by VRS as are all rounds at Q32. This system times each car over the number of laps and adds your heat times together to give you a total time for each leg of the race. It does not work on a points system for winning heats etc.

Drivers - We have come up with a system that we think is fair for all. At Perros place we will require 4 drivers and 6 marshals. Each one of these places will be numbered 1 to 10. At the end of the first heat, each person will move to the next position. ie if you started on 1, you go to position 2 for heat 2. If you started at position 8 for heat 1, you will go position 9 for heat 2. When you get to position 10, you then go to position number 1. Same will apply at San Phoeno but with 3 drivers and 4 marshals. But only the finest drivers Q32 has to offer will be asked to participate.

After each leg we will report the progress back to Auslot and keep you all in the news as soon as it happens. Photos will be taken and if we get enough people to help out maybe we can organise (no promises) a video of all heats. Which we can burn onto cd and send to all entrants.

This is our first crack at something like this so we are looking to keep it simple. If all goes well we hope to learn from it and review it after the racing has been completed. We are open to suggestions for improving the event. Perro and I will discuss each suggestion one at a time and make a decision. (I hope people don't want to go on endlessly here arguing this and that)

We would like a minimum of 10 cars, otherwise it may not be worth doing.

If you would like to be apart of it, start getting your cars ready. We will post addresses to send your car to later once we have enough people interested and of course a date or two for the event.

If interested in entering a car, please post a message here to say that your a definate, a maybe, a non starter and for those interested or maybes, your opinion on prizes.

Thanks in advance.

Phoeno and Perro

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As one track is routed, cars probably need weight. But the other track is Ninco where the magnet will work so weight might be too much.

As some of us have never raced at either track, we need a few guidelines to try to be competitive:

Any recommendations for a compromise amount of weight?

And will stock tyres work, or should we consider aftermarket rubber or silicons? Ninco can be tough on silicons so I hear but they work really well on routed.

I've got a Ninco BMW M3 that hasn't raced yet so put it down as a starter.

Cheers

Glenn

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Very interesting guys, 2 quite different track setups required for the one car...

Will the in-field be used on your track phoeno? (I assume not)

I have raced on phoeno's track but not on perro's, I know Ninco track has less metal than Scalextric but magnets will still be a factor here. Can we see some photo's you your track Perro or even better the track design would help.

I have a Ninco Honda NSX or a Fly BMW M3 I would like to enter.

Will you guys be entering car? (Interested as you would have a substantial advantage :) )

Cheers Manic :o

Will the in-field be used on your track phoeno? (I assume not)

Yes we will be using the infield section. I will get the drivers to show some sense and avoid nerfing and misbehaving in an Ambrose v Skaife kinda way.

If one car is faster then the slower car should show some sense and let it go.

At the moment and it will be for my leg of this event, the track is very grippy with a 1000 laps a week happening on it each week. More testing going on than Ferrari at the moment !

Will you guys be entering car? (Interested as you would have a substantial advantage  )

Yes I am going to. Its one of the best cars I have on board but not so good on plastic. Its ok but I am aiming for the right balance. Its a bit of a beater, not new by any means so I am not bothered it someone else crashes it, especially at Perros.

Any recommendations for a compromise amount of weight?

As little as possible. The routing and board joins are as smooth as you will find anywhere and very few of my cars have any weight. Maybe 10 grams at most.

should we consider aftermarket rubber or silicons

I am yet to be convinced silicones are any advantage on a board track even thou so many people rave about them. (I can see Charlie getting his fingers ready to type away) I guess each to their own so they say.

Hope this helps guys.

OK I have an idea of what I will run. Let us know when the date is set and I will get set up. Good idea on the RTR cars as there is plenty of scope in gearing etc to try something that will work well on a large track like Perro's and board track without building up a special that is time consuming.

heyo,

i've heard of proxy races adn would be interested in entering a car in this one. Pardon my ignorance but...

how do cars get assigned to the drivers? random and different each race, drives get to pick which car they think is pretiest, random but each driver is stuck with the car they get for the whole series of races?

Also, whats in it for the owner of the slot car that is to be sent? they have to pay for postage there and back, only to get their car raced and possibly damaged by some stranger?

cya

Rene.

An unmodified car is like a blank sheet of paper, aching to be drawn on.

Ren's 3 lane routed track with analogue pits and 2 car sudden death.

how do cars get assigned to the drivers

The software decides which car is in which lane for each heat. So heat one might be perro, phoeno, manic and hmcsat in the Red / Blue / Green and Yellow lanes.

In heat two we might have cyph, vinno, boslot and nimrod in the Red / Blue / Green and Yellow lanes.

The drivers will rotate through the positions on the track, some driving some marshalling. So you might get one driver driving your car more than once or not at all. its just luck of the draw.

Also, whats in it for the owner of the slot car that is to be sent?

The fun of being involved in something that only a great community like this could provide.

only to get their car raced and possibly damaged by some stranger?

Fair point, don't send your newest and pretty car but all the guys who will be driving are good experienced racers.

Hi there guys. Just as a heads up on the cars for the planned Proxy Race, all we run in our racing group, being Q32 is box stock standard cars. No sillies. You can run them if you want but they'll be of no real benefit as far as I can tell and particularly on the Ninco track. And over the course of the event I seriosly doubt there will be any increased wear on the silicon tyres that could be attribulable to 60 laps or so on the track. We also run standard gearing for the long Ninco track and the tighter board tracks and don't really see r feel the need to change it either. The cars run as fast as a car can run in standard trim. what I think will be interesting will be this. By in large when running on my Ninco track, a Fly car from this class would have the metal over the other brands. So when racing is at my place most will choose a Fly car from their range of cars. Then at Martins board track the preference would be more so Ninco, SCX or Scalextric rather than Fly. But in this event the ONE car must compete on both track types. Long high speed, high magnet Ninco with 7m straights and a tighter but nicely flowing board track. which to choose, which to choose. Will the advantage with the Fly on the Ninco be sufficient to overcome it's short comings on board and vice a versa. Or would a middle of the road car thats a good balance on both without being outstanding enough to win on either be good to finish in a mid field position do the job? There is the conundrum.

Thanks for the replies so far by the way. It is very encouraging to see such support so early on from guys we have never really met face to face. Entrusting someone with your precious cars so far away and in another state gives me a great sense of pride that Martin and I have been able to earn the respect and trust of our fellow slot car racers and Auslot members to allow us the privilege of operating their cars in their name at this Proxy event.

Thanking you all,

Perro

P.S to the last post. To both Manic and hmcsat . You guys are duly invited as part of the Auslot team to not only enter a car but to also drive if you want. Having you guys there will give the event a real Auslot feel to the whole affair.

Hoping you can make it,

Perro

Sounds good.

I personally think that sometimes you can get to carried away with tune ups on cars.

:D And instead of worrying about the car and finding loop holes in the rules. Nothing beats a good driver.

After a great race meeting a Perros last round any thing we do there should be great.

If i understand this right the track owner will not be at advantage as they will not drive there cars.

Slotcars are the winners on the day at Q32

May if it works we could do a inerstate race

Maybe some background info might help.... I had the idea for this sometime ago but we couldn't decide on what to do, then after coming across the 'Race Across America' site in the US on HRW, I thought a bit more about it and decided it was worth trying here first as a smallish event. If it goes well, Sydney or Melbounre might decide to do the same thing later in the year, theres no reason why in 2006, we can't have the race across Oz. But lets start with baby steps first.

If i understand this right the track owner will not be at advantage as they will not drive there cars

There is a very good chance that Perro and I will not drive our own cars, its all random so we will see how it goes.

P.S to the last post. To both Manic and hmcsat . You guys are duly invited as part of the Auslot team to not only enter a car but to also drive if you want. Having you guys there will give the event a real Auslot feel to the whole affair.

Hoping you can make it,

Perro

Perro,

Thanks for the invite mate, I would be thrilled to be included in the first Brisbane Proxy Race event through Auslot Forum. :D:)

It will also give me the opportunity to see just how badly my entered car goes, lol.

Cheers Manic :)

Hi Guy's,

Martin and Perro, Thankyou for the invite, I'm IN too.

I've not decided which car yet but I'll be doing a lot of pre-season testing :D

Another bonus to this is that I will finally get to race against a "Manic Racing" prepared car :)

Regards

NimROD

ps will you be posting the track layouts?

Another bonus to this is that I will finally get to race against a "Manic Racing" prepared car  :)

You are so going down buddy!!!

And I don't want to see any sign of the infamous 'Blue Haze' with it's red can motor either. :D

(phoeno, can I come over and do some testing? ;) I really NEED to beat Vlad, not that I'm competitive)

This could turn out to be a real interstate battle.

Great idea.Proxy race do take a lot of organising,we have learned a lot in the last six years and it is becoming easier but the number of cars is increasing as well.

My thoughts are that the people that are entering and driving should not get to drive there own cars! This tend to then even things out a bit more as often the best driver has the best cars as well so he has a big advantage.

Phil

Hi Guy's,

Thanks Martin, it will really help with the car setup.

As for Mr. Manic,

The Gloves are OFF Buddy

I'll have no need for the "Blue Haze" to beat whatever you comeup with Mate.

Any of my NC-1 powered cars should do the trick, Magnet Boy!!

Regards

NimROD

C'mon guys, get behind this event...The idea of AuSlot Forum running it's own national proxy race in a few years is great. We have to start somewhere and this is it...

Anyway, I can vouch for hmcsat, (he doesn't like to type very much)...I spoke to him the other night Perro/phoeno and he is keen to help with the running of the proxy.

As for Mr. Manic,

The Gloves are OFF Buddy

I'll have no need for the "Blue Haze" to beat whatever you come up with Mate.

Any of my NC-1 powered cars should do the trick, Magnet Boy!!

And I'm sure hmcsat wouldn't pass up the opportunity to enter a slot as he stands a pretty good chance of beating someone for once...Vlad's entering a car after all ;):huh:

ok we have 9 people so far who are pencilled in for entering a car. 4 of these are from Q32 with 2 others in Qld and 3 from interstate.

After round 8 of the Q32 season this weekend, there may be some more Q32 entries. Some more interstate ones would be good. I don't need definate numbers, just a 'yeah I will be in it.' Its not for 2 months yet so no excuses about not having time to get a car ready....

kalbfellp and cardsandcars.... fair point re driving your own car. If by chance a driver is scheduled to drive their own car, we will do a swap with the closest person at the time as per the drivers comments in my first post.

This Proxy race might be running in Brisbane but its about all of Auslot and its members. I hope in the future this is a yearly event where our cars travel to tracks all over the country for proxy races. If this is to happen, I feel we need to make sure this event has a good number of cars entered.

hi Bump and others.

At our race night on Saturday I caught up with a few guys who have said to count themselves 'in' as drivers, marshalls or contestants so we have atleast 10 cars and with a bit more rounding up of people, we will certainly have all the drivers and marshals we need.

So its a goer !