Howdy,

Im just using Parma.

BUT

I noticed trails on Juniors Porsche RS at bearings and thought, hmmmm.

BM-Porsche-Spid-2_zps0f862cc7.jpg

So whats better ??

Edited by Roger Miller

...............Take it easy

Auto trans is good for conditioning the braids too.

I like the light spindle oil used for lubrication pneumatic tools.

Cheap at Bunnings and others.

Steve K.

Sewing machine oil is fine and cheap and readily available.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I hadnt heard of it before but recently read about Kiwi Pee oil......hard to find though

I use Slick7 glidex on metal chassis and Labelle 108 which is plastic compatible.

Edited by munter

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

I hadnt heard of it before but recently read about Kiwi Pee oil......hard to find though

Is it as rare as hen's teeth? You could always try snake oil as a substitute. ;)

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

That is it DM Best of the West Kiwi Pee oil...I knew Chris Radisich had something to do with it but now know a bit more...thank you

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Kiwi Pee oil :lol: Easy to remember !

I have been using an oil by ultimate, got it from Mobile raceway. Dont know how it compares to other products. It is red in color so it may just be auto trans oil !? A little seems to go a long way.

I use a grease called monoject 412 on my gears. Again i dont know how it compares to other products. Eccess seems to fling off but it appears to leave a residual coating on the gears.

The oil seems to work ok. It lasts longer on sintered bronze bushing or oil lites. So it must absorb readily into those materials.

I hope when I get some proxy cars back I might have some post mortem conclussions?? However, I dont know what lubricants may have been used since sent.

I have used graphite. Would never use it on proxy cars as if any lubricant was used it may turn the graphite residues into a grinding paste . Which raisies another question, does anyone know of different oils react with each other causing negative results?

"Me Auntie's a Jack !!!"

Should help you sew up some wins in the races. Or stitch together a few fast laps.

I use Super Lube: synthetic oil for bushings and their multi purpose grease for gears. Both are plastic friendly, contain PTFE (FWIW: does not bother me one way or the other), come in dispensers that work well for slot cars and is readily available from some slot dealers in North America. Not super inexpensive but then again: a $5 bottle lasts me more than a year: how cheap does it really have to be?

Guest jazzbell

My choice of oil is of coarse the NSR . Part number 4607 ultra high temp used for ball bearings. The other is part number 4606 for the bronze bearings.

The oil i like to use even on the ends of the motors is the 4607 with good results and know problems at all with performance.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

... Not super inexpensive but then again: a $5 bottle lasts me more than a year: how cheap does it really have to be?

I do use superlube on my PM controllers.

Admittedly readily available means a little more to me than price. But that doesn't mean value for money is not a consideration. When one is in need of oil whether for bearings or other, the one in easy reach is usually better value than the one that requires a week to get. But, perhaps that's more about my location than other things.

I have seen published results of rolling resistance tests and sewing machine oil came in at number 2 or 3 on the effectiveness list. Some of the expensive slotting specific oils came considerably further down the list. And an oft spruiked brand actually proved detrimental.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

In an effort to avoid the expense of using sewing machine oil, I've tried both automatic transmission fluid (too heavy) & deisel, to bring the various computer fans back to the quiet life.

I found that deisel does a great job (after they have been soaked in it for some hours) & the effect can last for years, which tends to indicate that the deisel oil is doing the right thing.

Whether deisel is a good lubricant for slot cars or not I don't know. When I eventually use up the oil that I bought for the slot car job (which won't be soon) I think I might give deisel a try.

Edited by inveterate retiree

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

I have seen published results of rolling resistance tests and sewing machine oil came in at number 2 or 3 on the effectiveness list. Some of the expensive slotting specific oils came considerably further down the list. And an oft spruiked brand actually proved detrimental.

I actually think it would be worth my while to try sewing machine oil. Intuitively I think (always dangerous for me!) that the viscosity might be lower than Super Lube. So on tight fitting bushings it would probably be better than Super Lube. But I also think that higher viscosity oils do have an advantage on loose bushings where I think it tends to help mitigate the effects of the slop and should reduce the bouncing around of the axle to some extent.

All this unencumbered by actual knowledge or testing, but it feels right...

PS: as a South African by birth and current Canadian, I had to go look up that "spruiked" comment: one can always learn something new online!

I use Wahl hair clipper oil . Ultra thin with virtually no rolling resistance whatsoever . Available from any good hairdressers and cheap to .

The older I get the faster I was .