The Scale Speed Seems A Little Off On This One

smallnails

oh yeah, fairly quick - - about the speed of my CanAm entry for this year :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kid just walks across the track . . .

I like how the drivers are swaying back and forth . . . reminds me of a Palmie driver who comes to our nats. . . and . . errr . . me

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Guest jazzbell

Check the comments lower down on that link what people think of the video. I wonder if we fall under this cad agree? Are we nerds. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think FN not.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

I wouldn't want to marshal those races you are a risk of losing an arm - mind you it looks like an off will cost you 10 laps so no point in having marshals - if you are off you are out. Also love the guy who walks across the track might try that at my next race meeting.

Looks like they need that Nasal Technology to make the race last a bit longer - mind you they are probably doing 50 laps between lane changes - anyone count?

DM

Edited by dangermouse

I must say that pretty much ALL the comments contained Below that Video, are Completely Off the Wall, if Not arguably completely Inappropriate !!

I think you will find that was the 2010 European Championships and am guessing it is either the Group 7 or OMO (One Motor Open) Final.

There are actually a couple of 'Faces' I know from other European races.

Wing Car racing is a Very 'Finite' craft and is actually quite exhilarating and a Whole HEAP harder than it looks !!!

As to Marshalling the Cars,..there is NOT Much chance of Serious Injury, the cars are Extremely Light weight !!

Having raced these cars half my life,..it Isn't all that hard, as with the Side Dams, it makes them relatively easy to 'Pick Up',..AND,...it actually Makes you a Very Fast Marshall and from my own experience over the years, I'd have to say that Wing car drivers make the Best/Fastest Marshalls, as they are Used to 'Getting the car Off the Track' very quickly,..if you Don't, then obviously,..all hell breaks loose as the cars are lapping well Under 2 seconds a lap !!,..lol

Paul 'Beuf' Pederson, set a TQ time of 1.438 sec's on the 155' Johnson 'King', (similar to the track in the Video), at Mobile Raceways recently at the Australia Versus the World 'Brock Trophy'.

It's Obviously NOT for everyone,..but it IS FUN !!!!

Edited by stoo23

I'm sure at one stage quite early on a 'car' flies off the front loop at the apex and takes an aerial short cut to the hairpin before bouncing into oblivion. But maybe I was seeing things. It doesn't float my boat, but I know of some that would love it. But you'd want good eyesight and tracking reflexes.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Not surprisingly I'm with you on that take Brad.

BTW: The bloke that posted the vid wouldn't happen to be a relative of yours? I think he rather outdoes you on the scary clown stakes.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Hi Stoo,

Your correct in saying driving a wing car is harder than it looks. I could never drive one so i stayed with the sedans. Marshalling them was fun, It helped me become a good marshal (I hope). It was mayhem if more than one car was off, the open class were fast. Redline fastest time I could remember was just over a second. As for getting hurt, well my fingers often copt it if I wasn't fast enough. I do remember one young lad who had one caught in his long hair, it had to be cut out.

see you

Wil

Hi Will,..Gee if you Remember Redline, then the Fastest times were probably Just Over 2 seconds,..Not One second.

The Fastest Ever Blue King time was a 1.3 something done a couple of years ago at Buena Park Raceways I believe.

Since Redline closed, the cars Have become quite a bit faster and as Kings go,..Redline was probably Not the Fastest, but was a More challenging track due to it Not being as Banked as some of the later Speed Bowl types of 'Kings'.

Only 'visited' a couple of times, but always enjoyed it !!

Yeah,..thinking about it, your fingers could take a bit of a whack at times eh !!??,..:)

Open class cars are truly a Hoot !!

If it wasn't as expensive as it is, I'd still be racing Wing Cars. Still occasionally have a run in the Local HSC Single Magnet Motor Grp27 class, as I still have some equipment that is suitable and still competitive.

Sounds like the Redline 'King' might be making a Return to Active Duty soon as well, :):)

Cheers :)

I used to think that my Group 20's and 15's were fast until I tried to race an open at Narellan years ago.

I was always told that the opens were easy to drive as you only had to brake twice each lap, :D yes and then lap times were just over 2 seconds! They are hard to drive and require very good reflexes,even with a great car. I miss running winged cars but don't miss the big cost of each race.

Ahhh,..Narellan !!

That was Another Great Gary Johnson Track !!

Yeah,..Perhaps ONLY Twice per Lap,..but as you Know,..its WHERE you Brake and for How Long !!,..lol

Staying Tidy and Being Smooth was Always the Way, apart from Just Pure Horsepower, From Recollection, I'd say Realistically, in a 'RACE" you would probably be Braking 4 times !!,.. :)

The 'Ubiquitous' KING track design IS a Very good design of track to Race Wing Cars on !!

In fact Pretty damn good for Flexi's and Similar cars as well !! :)

If there was a King at HSC, I think I would be far more interested in getting Back into racing them !!

With Most of the Racing these days being 'Spray Goo' it is Far Less Messy than it used to be in Full Goo racing, but compared to even the Narellan Era, it is Far more Expensive.

Cheers

:)

Edited by stoo23

You could probably build one for around $500.00 but then you would need a few spares! A good motor set up ( no armature) will set you back about two Slot It cars, chassis about the same. Controller would be needed to suit so another $300.00

Here is a pic of what a open car has under the body.

usra9917.jpg

Edited by kalbfellp

Those Open motors are awesome. 180+k, and you can't rev 'em free/no load, or they can delaminate the rotor and fly to pieces. Those top guys will have qualy motors with arms wound specifically for the lane, and can change motors during the race to suit the different lane sets as they go. Big money sport!!

Chris

H.M.C.C

Hi Stoo,

I think you are right. The times were just over 2 sec's. Mind you I trying to remember thing nearly 20years ago. Though think someone did a 1.98 in practice for the Nats or the Adam Miller.

Those were the days. I heard that TBirds has set up the old Redline track, but To get back into 1/24's will be two expensive for me. Pity, but I am enjoying the smaller ones.

Wil

Guest jazzbell

. I heard that T Birds has set up the old Redline track

Wil

Not set up as yet. When we move to the new premises the original track builders are even setting it up.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

A bit of history and useless information.

In 1989 I commissioned John Ford to fly out and help me build a Euroean style King track. Hasse Nilson (apologies for the spelling) had taken the King track design to a new level and John was building the same style tracks in the US.

I was more than pleased when John McKinley and George Bozoutis (again, apologies for the spelling) offered to come and help. Two outstanding racers and a couple of real gentlemen from the city of churches who went back to Adelaide after building one King track and proceeded to build another, the Redline track.

The track that John Mc, George and the rest of the Adelaide gang built is dear to me as I won the 1995 National Open Class Championship on it and it'd be nice to see it revived.

I've never held with the view that one form of slot racing is any better than another and I enjoy a wide range of different cars and styles but I have to say that racing Open Class (Group 7) cars is a buzz that's hard to resist.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill