Slot-It Digital Controller Cables Too Short

10 replies to this topic

#1 Conditionally Human

Stranger in a Strange Land

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed at length already somewhere in this forum, but I just bought two Slot-it SCP-1 controllers for my Ninco Digital system, and while I'm extremely happy with my purchase, I'm frustrated by the short controller leads.

I had intended to buy more controllers (up to three more), but with a one meter cable for each controller, I can't see four or five racers fitting into a two meter area. When I was using the origonal Ninco controllers, I had extended all the cables using telephone extention cable.

I called Jim at Armchair and he suggested that I could not extend the slot-it cables and have the controller operate properly.

Any suggestions?

I've spent a fortune already (over $3500 so far this year) so I guess I'll need to keep on spending till I get what I want.

I've been impressed by level of expertise on this forum, so I'm hoping some of you electronics/slot car guru's can help.

Please help.

Kind regards, Peter.
"At last, after two thousand years of work, the illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator" - Marvin the Martian

#2 charlesx

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Perhaps I am missing the point somewhere but can you not spread out the plug positions. This is certainly what we do with analogue tracks.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#3 SlotsNZ

GP2 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

Peter,

just use the same extension cables between the controller and the Ninco box, the same as you would for the standard Ninco digital contollers, it's just a bunch of wires.
Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team WDG
Slots addict 1st class
My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | | Our club - HBMRC | | Club intro on Youtube

#4 Conditionally Human

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

SlotsNZ

That's what I thought. But Jim from Armchair told me that "There's absolutely nothing you can do to lengthen the cable and still have the controllers perform correctly".

I don't know why this should be, but I'm not strong on electronics or digital. Am I missing something?

I know enough to chip cars and solder a few controller wires is about all. I guess all I can do is try it.

Thanks for the help.
"At last, after two thousand years of work, the illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator" - Marvin the Martian

#5 SlotsNZ

GP2 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Heya Peter

how did this work out for you ?
Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team WDG
Slots addict 1st class
My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | | Our club - HBMRC | | Club intro on Youtube

#6 Mobbzee

VW Bug Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

yes id be interested to know
i'm a bit perplexed as to why it cant be extended...as long as its joined up correctly i dont see problems,unless its some sort of special cable but that still shouldnt matter :blink: :blink:

just had a look at this...just looks like a cat5 computer cable...not that hard to make at all,
http://slot.it/Downl..._2009/NINCO.pdf

Edited by Mobbzee, 27 February 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#7 RePete

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

So these wont work? http://www.armchairr...k4oqd6cqt4h6tc3
Keep it in the groove
Pete

#8 MIH

electricimages.co.nz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

View PostConditionally Human, on 16 January 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

That's what I thought. But Jim from Armchair told me that "There's absolutely nothing you can do to lengthen the cable and still have the controllers perform correctly".

Looking at the specs, the Ninco Digital does all the high-power work in the interface at the track. The power being sent to the/from the throttle is low, and can be extended without any significant issue. You may need to be careful with very long runs (maybe over 5m).

I think the Jim may be mixed up with Ninco Analog, which appear to send full car voltages over the throttle cable.

Ian
Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy
InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

#9 Conditionally Human

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

Apologies but I still haven't tried extending my controller cables.

This all started of course after a phone call to Armchair racer. I can't recomend them enough. The time jim and the staff have spent helping me is phenominal. Plus, the advice is always sound. This is the first time I've had cause to question their advice (or maybe I just didn't like the answer).

On the controller issue, Jim gave me a very convincing and detailed expaination about the attenuation of digital signals or something. My electronics experience extents to speaker crossovers and soldering Ndigital chips to my cars so it went way over my head.

With regards to the cables, their are two to extend of course. So I've been procrastinating about the question of extending the silicon power lead as well, or doing somthing so that I can run it untethered. I believe that Slot-it are realeasing a battery pack to go with Oxigen wireless.

Then, there is wireless to consider.

I think I'd have given up on Ninco digital electronics if it weren't for the variable voltage power supply and slot-it controllers. The controllers that came with the digital master set felt like on/off switches in comparison.

I don't get to spend nearly as much time with my track as I'd like. I've still not tried using the controllers in curve mode yet.

I'll post when I sought the problem out. I think I work too much and feel run down by the time I get home. It'll happen though. Promise.

Peter.

Edited by Conditionally Human, 04 March 2012 - 06:54 AM.

#10 MIH

electricimages.co.nz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

The technical answer on digital siglans is correct. However, its very much dependant upon the data rate, and the quality/type of cable. This is one of the reasons that USB is restricted to 5m (but uses balanced cables)

However, with the data rates in use here, imply the extension can be 20m or more. Why not just try it...? its only a couple of phone-jack type plugs. Even a simple handset extension cable will prove the point.

Ian
Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy
InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

#11 RePete

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

I know that Scalex controllers don't have any digital signal in them as they just have a number of resistors in them to adjust the speed and trigger the lane changers. The digital signal is on the track rails which allows the multiple cars to be on the same lane.

I'm pretty sure this is the case with ninco as well so there should be no issues with using the ninco extension cables you just need to run the power cables for the slot it controllers as the ninco ones don't require power
Keep it in the groove
Pete

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users