ToddsPartyHirePerth

20 Questions On Setting Up A Mobile Track

Hi All,

My Name is Todd, I run Todd's Party Hire in Perth.

I am looking at setting up a mobile track to hire out for kids birthday parties, corporate team-building etc.

My budget is $1500-$2000

I want to start with digital as this would be a new experience for many adults and I can fit more cars on a smaller track.

Has anybody tried a digital setup for hire? The analog ones are huge.

I am considering using Ninco as they allow up to 8 cars at one, compared with Scalectric's 6.

I know Ninco is not as popular here, but is there any reason not to use it? ( I don't need interoperability with other enthusiasts)

Would 4 lanes be enough to run 8 cars at once?

Or should I go 8 lanes into 6 into 4 into 2 or a combination thereof?

I intend on mounting the track on 2 or 3 sections of plywood, each no larger than 1.5x3m, (so i can fit it in my van) with only minor joining required on site.

I want to buy 10 cars ( 2 spare) , 8 controllers, transformers and enough track for a decent layout.

Would it be more cost effective to buy a master track kit and one starter kit plus the extra controllers/ cars i need?

Or one master track kit and several starter kits?

How many transformers are required to run 8 cars?

What sort of cars should I use? Ninco only, or other brands re-chipped?

I don't need to win races or have rare models, just have different styles/ colours with even racing.

Durability is also a factor.

Would magnets make it more durable/ usable or less?

Is there a way to nobble the equipment so small children can play, or adults don't thrash the cars?

Finally, can any shop owners out there do me a deal?

I can offer sponsorship on my track, so you may gain some customers once I introduce them to the hobby.

Thanks for you help,

Todd.

Hi Todd. Greetings and welcome. An idea of where in our wide brown land you are based might help us to direct you in useful areas.

Others will be able to give more information than I. But 'nobbling' the system is certainly possible with a variable power supply. Running without magnets may also make for less damage to running cars. However, it will mean that punters will have to actually drive the cars. This may result in some being frustrated as it will not be as easy to do at speed as they may expect.

Anyway. Enough from me. I shall hand you over to others better able to answer your questions.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

G'day Todd and welcome to the forum. If you look up TableTop Supercars on the net you will find a business that has been set up here in Perth which caters mainly for the corporate world. They run Scalextric Digital with the 6 car Advanced Powerbase, SSDC (Scalextric Sports Digital Console) and Pit Pro. They have their track set up on purposely made tables that once put together make a table size of roughly 6m x 1.8m. I can't help you with Ninco Digital as I have no knowledge of their product, someone else here on the forum should be able to help you out. With the Scalextric APB you have different settings which allow you to control the speed at which young kids can drive the cars around the track without destroying the cars, and Scalextric also make a high resistant cars that can take a bit of a beating. You can also get higher detail cars for the Adults (but they too will crash and burn). I would definately keep the magnets in the cars especially if you are going to hire them out.

Matt

Hi Todd. Greetings and welcome. An idea of where in our wide brown land you are based might help us to direct you in useful areas.

Others will be able to give more information than I. But 'nobbling' the system is certainly possible with a variable power supply. Running without magnets may also make for less damage to running cars. However, it will mean that punters will have to actually drive the cars. This may result in some being frustrated as it will not be as easy to do at speed as they may expect.

Anyway. Enough from me. I shall hand you over to others better able to answer your questions.

Embs

Thanks Embs.... I'm in Perth, as I mentioned on line 2 of my post...and my username is ToddsPartyHirePERTH...

G'day Todd and welcome to the forum. If you look up TableTop Supercars on the net you will find a business that has been set up here in Perth which caters mainly for the corporate world. They run Scalextric Digital with the 6 car Advanced Powerbase, SSDC (Scalextric Sports Digital Console) and Pit Pro. They have their track set up on purposely made tables that once put together make a table size of roughly 6m x 1.8m. I can't help you with Ninco Digital as I have no knowledge of their product, someone else here on the forum should be able to help you out. With the Scalextric APB you have different settings which allow you to control the speed at which young kids can drive the cars around the track without destroying the cars, and Scalextric also make a high resistant cars that can take a bit of a beating. You can also get higher detail cars for the Adults (but they too will crash and burn). I would definately keep the magnets in the cars especially if you are going to hire them out.

Matt

Thanks Matt, tabletop supercars looks like a pretty professional setup.

It also confirms my suspicions that you don't need 4 lanes running the whole course to run 6 or more cars.

My target market is mainly parties, but with a population of 1 million cashed up bogans here, I'm not afraid of a little competition.

Thanks Embs.... I'm in Perth, as I mentioned on line 2 of my post...and my username is ToddsPartyHirePERTH...

:lol: D'oh! Call it a blonde moment. :D

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction