Brett Davis

Scalextric Digital And Pit Pro

Hi All

Well soon on ebay will be all my other hobbies to fund this venture from my youth and hopefully get the kids interested in something besides fighting each other :angry: .

I am going to buy the 6 car deluxe set to kick off straight away, figure it is pretty good value for the package.

What I wanted to know though was about the SSD pit pro option, I want fuel management and know that I can get it with SSD for a race management system, but is it worth it? I like the idea of lights and things and fuel levels on track side. Does anybody have it or do they know were to get it I checked the SSD website but can only find info on the cables :wacko: .

I cannot wait to get this lot and start racing A1GP cars and F1 cars on enough track to do Hockenheim justice but the process is long and slow on single income :unsure: but I just wanted to do my homework first and get value out of every dollar. Does anybody use the Pit Pro package near me that I may be able to come and have a yarn and look at it, I am in Emu Heights.

Kind Regards

Brett

Hi Brett,

Watch out as it's a very addictive hobby but great to get back into it especially when you don't have to wait for Xmas time just to get the next bit of kit, but it can become expensive.

Pit Pro is a coittage industry & can be got from the PB Pro team - the ones who do the digital powerbase computer cables. PM RikoRocket or email him or RichG via the cables' emails on the SSDC site and they will give you a quote, usually the same day, to upgrade a pit game or supply an all-in-package (they get the base kit at a cheaper price than retail and pass that saving on). Both are in the UK.

I haven't tried it yet but it sounds great and converts a toy to a serious bit of kit.

Have fun.

Cheers

Chris

Edit: Also, I think MIH on this forum still does it from NZ which is a bit closer: http://www.electrici...at_is_Pit-Pro_8

Edited by chris99

Hi Brett,

You can use the fuel management option with the SSDC software without Pit Pro to start with, the only thing is that you can refuel anywhere on the track whereas with Pit Pro you can only refuel in the pit lane. I don't have Pit Pro (yet) so I'm no expert when it comes to using this option but I have used it on someone elses track and it is great to incorporate this into your layout. My advice would be to get the Platinum set with all the fruit and play with this and add to it as you go. A good idea is to order the cable from RikoRocket as Chris has said above and at least use this to upgrade the 6 car Advanced Powerbase (APB) to the latest firmware (not sure what version scalextric are up to). The same cable is also used to hook up to a computer and plug into the APB and run the SSDC software. From the link which Chris has given you above you can download the SSDC software which I think gives you a 30 day trial before you purchase the software. You will probably want to add in the pit lane pieces for either a single or double pit lane as well. If you do get addicted to the slots (like most on the forum) you will probably want more cars before anything else after your initial purchase of the set. The cars in the set are good to start with and I'm pretty sure these six cars are the high resistant kind which can take the heavier knocks more than the higher detailed cars. If after time/upgrading to SSDC/pit lanes etc you might want to upgrade to Pit Pro in the future as well, which is the stage I'm at the moment, just too many cars that need my money before Pit Pro. If I have missed anything (I know I have) I'm sure there are plenty here on the forum who will add more if you want to know.

Matt

To give you the Fuel management, you actually need a number if bits. This pushes up the price, but as far as adding realism, it actually cannot be beat. The thing is that its all the bits that come with the setup, just to make the Fuel management work...

You need

A PC with 2 spare USB ports - most use a laptop

SSDC - version appropriate for your powerbase (see http://ssdc.jackaments.com/)

Pit Lane Game - upgraded to Pit-Pro (see http://www.electricimages.co.nz/Pro_Upgrades.ashx)

USB cable appropriate for your powerbase (see SSDC or upgrade site as appropriate)

USB cable for Pit-Pro (see upgrade site)

You'll need to upgrade your Powerbase firmware. For PB6, it'll have to be sent away to upgrade the first time (see upgrade site) For APB6 you can do yourself directly (see ssdc site)

The pit-lane adds in/out monitoring through the SSDC, which allows pit-lane refueling only.

I say, if you're gonna invest in realism, then the Pit-Pro gives it.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

Thanks heaps guys, feeling addicted already and I haven't even raced a lap yet :D , I cannot wait. I think I will go with the basic package with SSDC software and extra track for Hockenheim (love that track).

Ian thanks for the reply mate, will be in touch once I am ready (if you still offer the service) fingers crossed.

The best I can equate it to is this:

A mate of mine once built a new Harley from the ground up. He added all the bells and whistles to this bike, custom forks, lowered and raked it, custom paint even a custom seat. However he used $80 tires to finish the job, neadless to say a broken arm and a few broken ribs later he realised the complete package would of been worth waiting for.

Now to sell my Wargaming stuff and convince the Minister of War and Finance that this is something that our family needs to continue to exist as a family :lol:

Brett

Edited by Brett Davis

I've got all the bells and whistles, and it all works very well, but you really need to get a very serious group together to appreciate what it all can do. Very hard with my mates, as we are flat out just organising a race of some sort. Kid's are even worse. They all just enjoy cutting laps. If your'e just after fun, go for the best digital set, if that's what you want, and worry about the bling later. The best bit I've got is the Rich G lap tower I bought off Miveson. I haven't used SSDC since I got It. I wouldn't try to re-create any real race track too well, something similar maybe, but not too real will work, if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Kenny

"S#!t Happens"

Hey Brett,

How did ya gowith negotiations...?

I bought the platinum set and it's great fun.

Also invested in the SSDC and a cable which is on it's way from the UK...

Would like the pit lane realism too but I think as Kenny says it needs a mature player to appreciate this and at a bit over $100 plus a lot of postage it's a bit out of budget at the moment. You are both a little way away from Melbourne for me to "be a friend" and pop over for a race just to make up the numbers. ;)

As for tracks we have a challenge to recreate every round of the GP this year buying bits of track to make the layout as real as the "director of track laying" requires - within reason. need more R1 corners for most tracks...

If you haven't gone the SSDC yet I'll provide an update as soon as I can.

Have fun with the new "toy"