Nsr Tyre Treatment

imugford

Guest jazzbell

Hi imugford,

I've tested with just about every product known to man with NSR's. You still can't beat 2:26 product. What i find with the NSR oil it doesn't penetrate into the rubber like the 2:26. All my treatment i do is at home back to back on the NSR tyre truing machine. A good 4hrs of treatment. I found with the NSR oil it needed a good 20hrs plus.

Tyre treatment is knowing how long and when to much is to much.

My opinion is the tyre treatment on the NSR'S just brings the tyres up to speed quicker,not lap record speed straight off. A good half hour of laps and keeping the tyres clean with a sponge brings the tyres on quickly. By now the the bubble effect should be forming and the best tyre on the market(my opinion)should be giving you the grip you want.

My advice is for ferradore surface too. ;)

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Edited by jazzbell

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ian

I found out the hard way that NSR's pick up the MJK pixie dust like nothing else at a proxy round at Oswalds place a few years ago. Have you tried the Slot It F22 tyre. I find they work well down at the South City tracks. As you know MJK's are a favourite there and the F22's don't pick up the tyre rubble left behind by the MJK's. Having said that I haven't tried them on an NSR car so the results may differ. The danger of using CRC or what ever is that it may affect MJK tyres if there is a enough residue left on the track by the treated tyres. The bonus for the F22 is that they give adequate traction without treatment. I don't believe you can treat them . My experience with that is any oil based product turns them to snot anyway. As far as treating NSR supergrip tyres I've rubbed in some 3in1 light machine oil then spinning them up on an oil soaked bit of sponge til they start to go soft.

Just my experience, others may beg to differ.

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

• 1 month later...
Guest jazzbell

However I am now interested in the mentioned 2.26 oil - what is that and where is it available from?

cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

The 2:26 product should be found in most electrical supplies. Here's a link to stores your end .

http://www.ambersil.com/csp/web/DisList.csp?lng=3&country=GB&idx=1761388

regards shane a

team thunderbird

I agree with Lenny. NSR's don't mix well with MJK tyres on the rougher tracks as MJK are a 40 shore eurethane and when they break down the dust is quite a large size compared to other eurethanes. I think its just something do do with the nature of the compound. They are made from reoflex i think. When NSR's get sticky they pick up the dust easily and lose their grip. It happened to me often enough that when i raced at south city i stopped using them there and switched to f22s. The grip wasn't better but it was consistent and didn't pick up the eurethane residue.

Like Shane i have used every tyre treatment known to man and still come back to 22-6. It can be used on any rubber tyre not just NSR's but the NSR's "come in" quicker.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I cant believe to win in 1/32 you guys have to go thru all this tyres mumbo jumbo. To an outsider of 1/32 racing (me) it sounds like a black art. If I've got this right you have to "prep" the tyres to the point where they are so soft they might blow of the rims, too hard and they wont have the grip. I remember Shane "blowing a tyre" at last years MCN and stating whoevers got the best tyre on the day will probably win. Is'nt it about time to run foam or Plafit type rubber in the NSR Mosler class (or Slotit group C) class and give good drivers a chance to be at the front?

Foam would be nice, but that means we all have to buy rims for the cars.

I never have used treatment and don't plan to, my that's my downfall..

Speaking of the MCN i got thrashed because I didn't have the drive out of corners or the mid corner speed ?? Didn't expect to loose by the margins I did!

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Hi all,

Particularly when racing on likes of Ferrodor I have to wonder why you would bother with treatment. I would have thought the necessary traction was a given.

Trouble is if somebody starts it forces others to follow. A little like it is with the drug cheats we have in other sports.

We have had the same trouble in NZ when some people have started practice although expressly barred byNational rules at time. Trouble was organisers stated they were unable to police. We have therefore now allowed treatment with likes of NSR oil but not goo but on race day only sticky tape or water can be used.

Personally I think it is all a backward step as tyres now grip so well anyway. Slot car racing should be about building, preparation and driving not who found the best chemical.

As an example we race a number of standard Scalextric classes in Taranaki NZ. With proper sanding and truing it is amazing how well you can get a standard car to go. I am talking without magnets of course.

One of the reasons I like the Canam proxy is because any form of treatment is again expressly prohibited. Hope this stays the same. I believe NSR tyres are treated already anyway. In my experience NSR, MJK, Indy Grip and Slot-it silicone, F22 and N22 tyres all perform well with no treatment.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

May I say,..I TOO find All this Talk of "Pre-Race/Event" - 'Tyre Treatments', to be quite Amazing and perhaps somewhat 'Disturbing',...Especially IF in 'Reference' to either the Past OR Future MCN's.

What you may do or arguably Even be Allowed to do at Your 'Local Club/Raceway in the Weekly/Monthly 'Club' events is one thing,..but Does perhaps Reflect Badly regarding the Possibilities and Outcomes, of a Meeting of the Scale and theoretical Importance of an Event like the MCN,..

Especially,..as the Rules for ALL of the Recent MCN's, Clearly, particularly and Exclusively, PROHIBIT the Practice.

As far as I am aware, the Rules have Always been VERY Clear on this.

Mind you I DO Have to Note that the relatively 'Specific' rules regarding Rear Tyre treatments as described in the 2011 MCN rules, were, shall we say, somewhat 'Dummed Down' regarding the 'Specifics' for the 2012 MCN.

Offered below are the Two versions from the NSR Mosler class from both years.

And I quote;

Extracted from the 2011 NSR Mosler rules

"3. Traction Glue (Goo) and Tyre conditioners are Prohibited. Only Shellite is allowed to Wipe the Tyres Clean.

5. Under No circumstances are the Tyres to be conditioned by means of soaking in tyre treatments, applying solutions of Any kind, by using mechanical means to Soften / condition the tyres.

The Tyres must remain as they were originally purchased."

Extracted from the 2012 NSR Mosler rules

"3.NO TYRE TREATMENT OF ANY KIND IS ALLOWED.

4.Cleaning with shellite is allowed."

Perhaps, (atleast within the NSR Classes, as Most probably Would choose to run NSR Tyres in those classes), the Entry Fee for the class should be raised to accomodate "Hand Out" NSR Tyres !!

This would Certainly bring the Playing Field onto a Far More 'Understandable' Level, with NO 'Black Arts' being involved !!

Whilst Understanding the personal Importance of performance in an event like the MCN, it does Not do the Event any favours when the 'possibility' of Some people having and running some equipment, (prepared to a state of performance), unavailable to others, Either by their perhaps Simple 'Reading of the Rules' or merely Experience.

The Statement that attending these Events is a Good thing 'For the 'Learning' Experience, of the first timers IS still True, but Obviously, any 'Tricks of the Trade', that quite Clearly Step Outside of the Written Rule, would NOT be Openly Discussed, thereby precluding the person from 'The Knowledge'.

Now,..Before you All start Jumping All over me, May I say, that my comments are based Quite Simply and honestly on the basic 'Personal' fact that in ALL MY Years of Slot Racing,..I CAN Completely and Honestly say that I have NEVER, Set up, prepared or raced cars that IN Any 'Intentional', or I'd venture accidental way, were in any way Outside of the rules and perhaps more specifically the 'Spirit' of the Rules/Event.

Coming from a somewhat different slotting background than Many of the typical MCN entrants, I may have acquired a different 'perception', but with the MCN in mind, apart from the classes where modifications are specifically outlined, Most of the classes could, as I have suggested previously, are for, Allowably and defined Well Set up 'Intrinsically' Standard cars.

I 'Read' that as Simply as it Suggests

Happily (for myself), most of my racing has been with cars and styles of racing which virtually by nature of the beast realistically precluded any 'abnormal' "Fudging" of the Tyres per se and in fact Most of my 1/32 scale racing was done with Everyone running the Same Type of Rear Tyre and Often with Everyone running Exactly the Same Silicone Rears.

From my own perhaps 'limited' perception of 1/32 scale racing, I'd have to say My own personal 'preference' is if Everyone Does run the Same Brand of Silicone Rear Tyre. We used to have Specific Brand based Car Classes that Included Hand Out rear Silicone tyres and the Racing was Great.

Not Much you can even Think about doing to a Silicone Tyre as far as 'Black Art' prepping goes mere minutes before the Start !!!,..lol

Sorry to 'prattle' on,..but this Whole "Conditioned" Tyre thing is something that I Have had conversations about with Some of My Older Racing Buddies, that also like myself, come from a similar slotting background and also find a bit disconcerting.

It IS Obviously something that people Can perhaps become a bit 'Passionate' about and is perhaps arguably a bit difficult to Police as such, but the rules also Used to Say;

"6. Suspect Tyres will be checked for Shore Rating compatibility (Hardness), chemical odours and consistency with Tyres of the same make and brand.

Any Tyre 'Tampering' will result in disqualification."

Once again, I 'read' that as Simply as it suggests.

And Please !!!,..Understand that I am NOT Trying to Start an Argument,..

it is simply a Personal 'Observation' regarding an area that I have always had some difficulty with and find disturbing.

Personally, I think it is an area that Needs some thought and discussion to 'Control' at events Like the MCN, if for No other reason than to simply 'Preclude' the Theoretical possibility of any individuals running 'Prepared Tyres' thereby alleviating the possible concern of other entrants.

A perhaps Difficult Task,.... :blink:

With simply, the Best of 'intentions',...cheers,

:)

... it sounds like a black art...

:wacko: don't ya love it?

Slot car racing should be about building, preparation and driving not who found the best chemical.

Find the best car, finding the best motor, finding the best gear ratio, finding the best tyres. et al...?

Why is finding the best chemical any different?

Those who win have either found the correct balance over the years or simply spend more time, testing driving , preparing. No different than any other form of competition.

Extracted from the 2012 NSR Mosler rules

"3.NO TYRE TREATMENT OF ANY KIND IS ALLOWED.

4.Cleaning with shellite is allowed."

I didn't put any chemical on my tires but I may have touched them when cleaning my hands with Fast Orange ! Honest guv ;)

Edited by FLY in the wall

Outside the box looking in.

------------------------------------

You don't own stuff: Stuff owns you!

------------------------------------

Having a cold drink on hot day with a few friends is nice, but having a hot friend on a cold night after a few drinks - PRICELESS.

Having a "controlled tyre" formula is used in many forms of motor racing... and most forms of Slotcar racing.

Sure, in 1/24th chemicals (goo) is commonly used but the difference here its on the track, out in the open, for all to see... most often applied by the track owner to get the track in the best condition for everyone's benefit... Not some badly kept secret that everyone knows about and pretends is not happening in 1/32.

I just think a controlled tyre will encourage up and coming drivers to have a go at competing with "the fast guys" and with that the confidence to consider racing at other venues and big events.

Edited by axman

Hi all including Fly in the wall.

Finding "best chemical" - Lance Armstrong would just love you Fly in the wall. Hopefully you were kidding.

Where I was coming from however largely concerned standard cars used for National competitions where cars, motors, tyres, gearing is set but it can apply to all racing at all levels.

I do not mind what people do as long as they act within the rules. From my own point of view however with tyres being as good as they are these days why bother.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

I'm not sure what the black art is......you can find what everyone is using (CRC 2:26) on this forum and many others. If your rules expressly disallow the use of treatment prior to or on race day then the people treating their tyres are cheating, plain and simple. I treat my tyres leading up to our National events because it is allowed, and I like the effect it has on handling. Still, I would happily compete without it if that were the rules. Regardless of what the rules are, there will always be people who can build and drive significantly better than others. It takes me 5-6 hours to build a car, and 2-3 hours to true a set of tyres. Guys in my club talk about how they can true a set of tyres in 5-10 minutes and wonder why they never beat me. You'll find examples like that in any competitive arena.

5 x National Champion

2 x National Enduro Champion

2 x HBMRC V8 Supercar Enduro Champion

Agreed. In my limited experience, the guys who go the extra distance with tyre prep are the guys who build the best cars anyway. If treatment was banned, the same guys would still be winning every week at our club. Having driven a few loan cars that were tyre treated / prepped to a high level, they were quieter, smoother, faster and more responsive than anything I have ever built. Can't see much wrong with that.

Personally I have only treated a couple of sets of tyres and I did a pretty useless job. The thing is I can't be bothered investing the time to learn more about tyre prep. I do ok without it. But do I chastise those that do invest the time and work within the rules to make their cars faster, smoother and more responsive than mine?

No. I admire them.

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

Mac has it right. While we allow WD on tyres here for club racing, it still takes time to prep and true the tyres for a good finish.

When I prep tyres for proxy races where no additives are allowed I polish them with water to keep them cool, the result is very much the same, just takes twice as long.

Mac has it right. While we allow WD on tyres here for club racing, it still takes time to prep and true the tyres for a good finish.

When I prep tyres for proxy races where no additives are allowed I polish them with water to keep them cool, the result is very much the same, just takes twice as long.

interesting, how do you polish them with water?

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

I usually use 2-26 to dress and polish tyres with good results. It's the hours and hours of rotational pressure treatment using a tyre truer I was referring to earlier. It's a straight forward enough process I guess but, like anything else, it takes a lot of practise to get right. I wish I had the patience. The devil is in the detail.

Podiums are for short people.