Sign in to follow this  
K1W1

Scalex Digi And Routed Analogue Combined

Hi people and happy new year

I am looking at combining digital and routed so that only the digi power base track section, three lane changers and a lap counter are included. The track is permanent so I want to leave these in place fitted in with routed MDF track. The question relates to powering the track - I want to be able to run digital or analogue without changing track pieces around so the plan is to have a digi/analogue switch between main power source and the track - one switches to the analogue connections, the other switches it to the digi power base.

I will be copper taping the entire track including over the Scalex rails so the only issue I have is whether the analogue power can be sent direct to the track per std analogue without affecting the digi power base (when the power to digi is off)

Obviously, I don't want to fry my digi system so would apreciate answers from anyone who has either done this already or is very experienced with digital and confident in their answer please.

Thanks for the help - Wayne

"Don't trust everything you read online" - W. Shakespeare

The new Advance Powerbase has the Analouge mode i have a routed track with the Digital pieces inserted including lane changers and the only thing i have to to make it analogue is switch the Powerbase to analouge mode but you must have 2 power supplies plugged in to get 2 lane analouge.

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

Thanks John. Only have the old four car p/base and trying not to spend the money to upgrade at this stage but maybe that is a much simpler solution.

Appreciate your response.

With your set up, do you have to do anything to the lane change paddles when in analogue or does the system lock them in somehow? Also, can you use different controllers when in analogue - ie: Prof Motor or whatever? or are you stuck with using the Scalex ones?

"Don't trust everything you read online" - W. Shakespeare

No worries, it would be worth the extra to uprade from 4 car pb, as it would be less of a hassle. Yes you will have to use the digital controller when in analogue mode but i dont use the scaley controller anyway i either use the 2 button Truspeeds or the Parma converted Truspeed controller. And atm i dont use anything to pin my lane changers open but i only have xlc's and it probably would be better if you can lock the flippers somehow, but i very rarely use my analouge mode.

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

If you want to remove the issue with flippers in Analog mode - run your track in reverse.

As long as the Digital powerbase (PB4) is NOT electrically connected when running analog mode (and the analog one is not connected when running digital) then you will be ok. Use a big, grunty change-over switch to achieve this - needs to happily carry 10amps - then just disconnect the wires and send via the switch.

DON'T use any curved lane changers, unless you know how to isolate them electrically, as they cross-connect the lanes.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page