Show Us Your Mini Z

Chris1810

• 1 month later...

Hey , good one Cam. An underrated body in my opinion. I had mine going as quick as my Audi a while ago. Was even going to run it at APC in 2012 until the body broke away when I was taken out in the last practice session.

Interesting fact, the large wing on yours weighs less than the little one on mine. The foil is thinner to compensate for the side planes and ends up weighing less , go figure ?

Mclaren.jpg

Nice to see different cars being run , nothing like the feeling of putting something different on the track, awsome ....

Edited by paulthetexan

Here's a cracker that's in my box at the moment, Werner tracked it down for me a while ago. So far it has only done parade laps and I can't wait to get a light kit into it.

IMG_0528_zps0c88d7af.jpg

IMG_0527_zps72c8f9dd.jpg

IMG_0526_zpsb829dcf0.jpg

Back in Black. It's like an early version of the Enzo.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulthetexan

Hey , good one Cam. An underrated body in my opinion. I had mine going as quick as my Audi a while ago. Was even going to run it at APC in 2012 until the body broke away when I was taken out in the last practice session.

Funny how things evolve over the years, reading page 1 and 2 neither you or I could get a long tail Maca to go (I still have my Black Loctite body also).

I gave it its first outing on Thursday and had a shocker for various reasons but the times were in the ballpark..enough to encourage more development. Some tuning tonight and it has picked up significantly,

Looking forward to next Thursday, even at 169g with a light kit they are a good but the body needs to be set up high.

- Cam

Edited by Camber

Hoo Roo

Hi Cam

Evolution is funny looking back for both the cars and the way we prepared them as racers/drivers. I've lost count of the different ways I tried to get different cars going over the last few years.

I've seen a few guys up here try to set them up with the wheels inside the guards and they all struggle a bit. Small wheel/tyre diameter as wide as possible is how mine is set up with the body up over the wheels. Mines still prepared for a Pointer at 155grams , but one of my projects after APC is to rebuild it with a heavy base plate and Fox iv to bring it up to current regs. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Here's another funny/interesting bit of info. Looking back at my stat sheet from 2012 the McLaren was running 163 grams for APC when the rules where 155g. Coincidence or fluke , be interesting to see how it goes this time around.

Here's another project I'm just starting. Thought I'd lost this one then ol' mate Danger Mouse gave it back to me after it sat on his bench for a couple of years

IMG_0531_zps82badc6e.jpg

Nice to do some building of cars I like instead of race cars for a while. This will be one of them and I'm more exited about this one than anything else.

Cheers Paul

Edited by paulthetexan

I've seen a few guys up here try to set them up with the wheels inside the guards and they all struggle a bit. Small wheel/tyre diameter as wide as possible is how mine is set up with the body up over the wheels.

That's the mistake I made, I was thinking the long overhang would be better low as possible. High body, wide spur is way better than low body, narrow spur for this car. It is nice building different cars to the norm that's for sure.

Edited by Camber

Hoo Roo

• 2 years later...

Hi All, I've re-visited this "show us your mini Z" forum to start a discussion and see how everyone is fairing in their preparation for the upcoming MCN and APC with the new Mini Z rules.

As you are all aware the class now has different weights for different bodies. Werner has done this to get a broader range of bodies racing on the track and not have the usual McLaren procession.

As there is not much racing up here in Qld for Mini Z to this years rules I'm having a problem with comparative performance.. i.e. what works?

Do I slam a whole bunch of weight on my McLaren body to the rules and slow it down, or do I change change the body to what? Those tracks that race these cars on a regular basis must surely have faster/or slower lap times happening. :wacko::unsure::angry:

Or you can say nothing and I'll understand :rolleyes:

Edited by axman

Very nice thread mine there Kim.

I looked at weighting up the McLaren aswell, but even with double body mounts there was going to be over 20 grams of weight to place in the body.

So I went old school.

( Rears are in cold storage, and to lazy to get them out for the photo shoot)

59974006f6ff1e2b6df7c4656bfeb515_zpscb2wvggn.jpg

The long tail McLaren has a 1700, the other two are 1900's, both style chassis come in at approx 100 grams so if any weight is needed it will only be a gram or two, all three bodies are up to weight with no extra weight, only the use of Plafit parts.

Thanks Cam.. for sharing. It seems the other competitors are either:

A - Holding their cards close to the chest

B - Have no clue so like me wonder what's going to happen

As always Cam thanks for your input, I know from past experiance you share this information with the best of intent, and knowing you will still finish in front. Bahaha :blink:

Hi Kim

A few of us at Dapto went to the NSW titles a few weeks ago and ran under last years rules. So I have this week started to change Mini Z to the new body weights for MCNs I have finished 1900 Macca and almost done 1700 Macca and looking at a 1900 lexus? I will report back after a run tomorrow night

Rodney

Thanks Guys,

I'm really wondering if we will get near our 2016 Mini Z lap times.. We had a few seasons to really make the McLaren fly.

Maybe now the 1900 chassis will step up to the plate with the rule change cobbling the McLaren performance

Hi Kym

We recently ran a mini Z enduro at T Bird on the track the APC will be run on this year.

A Honda NSX Driven by me but alas not owned was top qualifier by .2 of a second over a Ferrari then the usual horde of Mclarens.

I must say I would really like to own that car

Big Mick

Thanks Mick, sounds about right. The Honda HSV was the last body I ran before the McLarens took over.. Performance is cobbled a bit with a narrow track and shorter guide lead (polar length) compared to the McLaren.

Whats the difference between the NSX and the HSV ?

Edited by axman

Thanks Mick, sounds about right. The Honda HSV was the last body I ran before the McLarens took over.. Performance is cobbled a bit with a narrow track and shorter guide lead (polar length) compared to the McLaren.

Whats the difference between the NSX and the HSV ?

The old and the new NSX were/are mid engine sports/super cars (the new one is a hybrid 4wd). The HSV is front engine, rear wheel drive to fit Super GT racing regulations.

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Next question guys... with the new body weight limits is the "new" 1900 Plafit chassis a better option?

( I know the Daptoids are the most likely to have tried this chassis option and know these things)

The last MCN must have had a few of these chassis competing ( did any make the podium? ) against the lightweight McLaren/1700 package. But now that we have something akin to horse racing handicap things are going to change.. Now other bodies might make it to the winners circle on a 1900.

For Adelaide I plan to fatten up my McLaren but also open my wallet and buy a new chassis.. 1700 or 1900 ?