P1100238.JPG?gl=AU

And this is how it has ended up.

P1100361.JPG?gl=AU

P1100362.JPG?gl=AU

P1100368.JPG?gl=AU

P1100371.JPG?gl=AU

P1100373.JPG?gl=AU

P1100358.JPG?gl=AU

Have to do something with the lamina flow for the fountain.

Also hunting for some bird / wildlife for the lagoon area.

In particular pelicans and gulls, obviously at around 1:32 scale or 1:42 at smallest.

Have hunted around but all seem to be to large or ceramic.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I have checked out Schleick stuff but they appear to be too large, pelicans anyway.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a pelican but it migrated to Norway.

Have a look at the Britains Zoo collection or possibly New Ray things. Ducks and geese are easy enough to find from both brands. You may have luck on eBay. Toyworld also stock buckets of animals which may supply some interesting bits.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Thanks Embs I forgot about Britains and never heard of New Ray, I'll check them out.

Edit:

After doing a search I actually have heard of New Ray but only associated with motorbikes.

Edited by ZeGas

And I forgot to say, congratulations on the scenic work. Looking mighty good so far. Hope the fountain works as well as the rest of it.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Thanks for the kind comments.

As I said this is my first attempt at the landscaping side so critique, opinions and advice is more than welcome.

Embs, the landscaping better look good, it is your advice that has made it that way so if it looks crap only you are to blame :D, well maybe my brush strokes as well ;).

It was fun to do though, probably spent more time looking at the track than actually doing anything, anyway onwards and upwards, next stage started a bit of a cliff face.

P1100285.JPG?gl=AU

The banners will be replaced when I have finished.

Hey Curef99,

Thanks for the complement. It was never really intended as a rally track but could probably be one (Targa).

There is still a lot of work to do, if you want to see awesome rally tracks I suggest you check out Mohawk's, Phoeno's or RSClio's now these guys have talent.

I am running a Scaley PB4 digital power board with 12v power supply for the kids and 15v for the big kids.

It is set up as a catch and chase track in the same vain as the Race of Champions comps held every December.

There are a couple on knarley corners that can throw you, at 12v they are easy enough but pumping it up to 15v you need to be careful.

Even though the braid is not recessed the cars will still drift around the corners, I haven't had one flip because of the braid yet.

So note to the adventurous home routers out there, you do not have to recess the magnabraid, I am running low profile GT cars and haven't had a problem.

Bloody great looking scenery. I like the look of the odd bits like the pipe from the bridge and the fountain splashes in the lake. They add to the color and character of the scenery.

Excellent stuff.

Normal people worry me

I've made an executive decision to create the landscaping at O scale so around 1:43 & 1:48 or 1:50.

I am thinking the cars etc will be 1:43. The peeps will be one of the three scales above as I can find, I'll try and keep like scales in the same areas.

So with that in mind I have built a 1:45 Bridge (nothing like sitting on the fence), the two boys running are 1:35 but will be replaced with fishermen when they arrive.

The car park area and some of my old collection of 50's American classics are 1:43. This was purely to see what affect the different scales have in relation to each other, doesn't seem too bad I thought, thought it would have been a lot worse.

Some areas may still be at 1:35 ie sheds for the slot cars themselves.

P1100520.JPG

P1100523.JPG

P1100526.JPG

P1100528.JPG

P1100529.JPG

P1100533.JPG

P1100536.JPG

Wow, just wow...

Your scenary is really coming along nicely...

I had my first attempt at grassing in the weekend, got some static grass and "plonked" it down on the track. not sure it worked to well. I know ... I need a grassinator to make it stand up.

The initial look I was going for was a flattened look as though the downdraft from a helicopter had blown it over but I'm not too happy about it.

Is there anyone in SEQ (Brisbane to Gold Coast) that has some kind of static generator (negative Ion generator) that I could borrow for a week or so, or is there another way to create the standup look.

Also not convinced by the dirt look either.

This is the result at the first attempt.

P1100601.JPG

P1100595.JPG

P1100593.JPG

P1100592.JPG

P1100590.JPG

Puffer bottle works well for small areas.

If you can get hold of an electronic fly swat there's plenty of instructions out there for converting it into a grassinator.

For around the heli-pad the flatting needs to be directional. Apply it standing up and flatten it outward while the glue is still wet(ish). At least that's what I'd try.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Thanks for the advice Ember it is greatly appreciated, I'll try and find a fly swat when I get a chance and try it out.

In other news, the reserve officially opened and already there are visitors enjoying the perfect conditions to partake in a spot of fishing.

Need to think of a name for the reserve so I can make a welcome sign.

P1100754.JPG

P1100755.JPG

P1100758.JPG

P1100761.JPG

Damn dog hair gets everywhere, must fix that lump as well, maybe I'll make it another little rock or something.

P1100764.JPG

P1100767.JPG

put a fish head in the middle and it will look like a fish surfacing...

ps. Totally looks awesome...

Grant the lake and it's surrounds look really good.

A suggestion if I may looking at the photo's: to give the water a more realistic look of being "wet", if you have a couple of mm to spare in depth, pour some clear varnish or heated up Sellys All Clear ( as per Ontheflipside's suggestion in another thread) over the lake surface. It will come up looking like a 10m deep lake.

Normal people worry me

Thanks Triggy for the tip.

In the old version of the lake I poured a couple of mill of PVA and I was reasonably happy with that.

I had thought of varnish originally but discarded the idea because it is outside and the UV would break it down to a yellowy stain.

I had never thought of All-clear though, I'll try and find that thread.

Won't be happening this weekend though apparently rain is on the way and lots of it.

If there are any weather buffs out there I have a weather station that I post to the net hourly

http://dml-weather.host-ed.me/Mundoolun_QLD_Weather/Mundoolun.html

Follow the rain ...... if it happens

........I had never thought of All-clear though, I'll try and find that thread.

I used clear varnish on my first track, and although it was inside it it did yellow up a bit. On my latest Track I poured a whole tube of All Clear into my lake and it has stayed "crystal" clear. Basically 'flippers tip was to put an unopened tube of All Clear into a pot of hot water and let it soften. I knew it was soft enough when I squeezed the tube in the water with tongs and the tube itself was soft and flexible. Whack it into your caulking gun, cut off the tip of the tube, ( don't use the nozzle) and squirt it into the lake, as it i soft it will find it's own level. I think 'flipper also suggested you could play around with the surface by using a paint brush and hair dyer to move the All Clear around. I didn't need to as I just poured mine into my lake which is more like a dam.But it works a treat.

Found the thread post:

Yes & yes it can be poured all at once but if too thick say more than 10mm you might see a little slumping. If you only need a small amount (cartridge lot) it may work but would need to be heated well to be very runny.

Use boiling water for 20 - 30min or so replacing the hot water every 10 minutes. Don't use the nozzle - straight out of the cartridge. I suggest you heat the area first with a hair dryer, but not once applied.

Plenty of turps on a paint brush can also help level out (if needed). I did mine using the Brush On All Clear out of a 1L can http://www.selleys.c...ymer/all-clear/

I have just tested another product which has a very nice "blue tone" clear look. I heated it as much as I could but didn't help much then just kept brushing it out with a brush loaded (quite often) with heaps of turps. Seemed to level out OK but then mixed some up using 50% turps to make it very runny but ended up with lots of little air bubbles. Have poured it on so will see how it looks. May slump a little due to thinning too much with turps. Nice clear though - the product is - Selleys 3 in 1 Clear (clear just released - they also make a white that has been available for some time) http://www.selleys.c...ant-gap-filler/

My old lake:

Completedtrackpics033.jpg

My latest "lake" using 'flippers tips:

IMG_8268.jpg

The bubbles are the fish f@#ting ;)

Normal people worry me

Looks very good...

Love the all clear tip

Thanks for the tip Triggy I'll try a demo of it before I go the whole hog.

Here is a vid of my 3year old (2 if we are eating out) doing a few laps with his Porsche Spyder.

10x faster than I can in that damned capri (that I desperately want to love but can't) I know, stop whingeing

Anyway enjoy

http://youtu.be/1SmuoiyxYkM

This car is straight out of the box with no mods, it is very quick and as you can see even a child drive it.

Edited by ZeGas

That is so cool...

That car handles like it's on rails...

Nice driving too I might add...

My 7 year old is getting closer to kicking my arse...

He already beats his 13 and 11 year old brothers.

If he didn't love watching the cars crash, spin out, drift like crazy, I think he would destroy me...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Embs for the electric fly swat idea, got one from Hong Kong and rigged it up as per http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/grassinator/

It was too easy and works pretty well, haven't had time to try it on the track deco but did do a test try on a bit of wood and seems to work well, just need to hone my skills.

Plus it is wickedly good fun to give the kids the shits when you tap against an earth rod (nail). hehe.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

ROC Track is up for grabs, offers on viewing & testing welcome.

The short of it is,

Its scaley digital 4car, will come with three controllers no power supply will come with it

the braid sits proud of the slot a bit but has never affected a car, they slide over it in corners without hindrance.

Unfinished project.

Lagoon, carpark and helipad pretty well finished, no figures or cars come with it.

There is one nasty bend which might be better off increasing the radius.

Any questions please ask.

Just noticed photos were on old google account so have disappeared, here is some to remind what it looks like.

P1100516.JPG

P1100533.JPG

P1100363.JPG

I'll take some more photos in its current state when I get a chance

Edited by ZeGas