I want to install a reversing switch on my new track so cars can run in both directions, just wondering if anyone has done it and what parts you used.

Thanks

- Cam

Hoo Roo

Cam, I think it's covered in the track wiring primer that SlotsNZ pinned in workshop. Mine was done from a diagram found on Fergy's Place. Can't give you the link at the moment cos i'm on mobile but will post it when I get home if no one else has done so.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

a trip to jaycar for a 2 way swich with 6 pins on the rear, someone here can post pics or look it up using key words, not hard to do, just daunting to the unlearned(me aswell). Though you do have to be cautios if running a dead strip for timming,,I've been told.

One DPDT switch per lane, hooked in downstream- between your driver stations and the track itself.

The black lines below show which poles to join together, centre poles are the output.

dpdt.gif

Edited by shodan

Timing is a wonderful thing. Had just started digging through bookmarks to post it.

Thanks Steve.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Nope. I run electronic controllers. No change in them required. The redirection switch comes after the controller not before it.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

just a tip,,,,.. When testing your directional switch,, dont use a carrera car with a direction switch in it,,,very frustrating.

I also recall there is something you have to do if you are using electronic controllers like PM and Slot.it????DM

Some controllers have a reverse polarity switch on them, but that is when the power from the power supply is reversed, and not the direction of the cars.

From Wiki

Modern controllers usually require three connections - one to the power terminal of the driver's station (customarily white), one to the brake terminal (red), and one to the track terminal (black). Conventional slot car tracks are wired in one of two ways: with the power terminal connected to the power source positive and the brake terminal negative (called "positive gate"), or the other way around ("negative gate"). Resistance type controllers can be used with either positive or negative track wiring, most electronic controllers can only be used with one or the other, although a few electronic controllers feature a switch that adapts them for either gate configuration.

The 'gate' is the pole that the controller has going through it's circuitry.

Most tracks are positive 'gate'.

Neil, sounds like the makings of a good funniest home video.

Steve K.

As I am want to do sometimes, dragging up another old topic. Finally got around to having a go at this. After running a few of my Carrera cars in the opposite direction (via their handy little switch) I decided I want to be able to run any car in either direction - so I installed one of the Jaycar switches tonight and hey presto I can switch direction - I now have a whole new track to drive. Awesome thanks all who posted here.

Huzzah!

David

Can anyone there please explain the reversing switches?? as used on Rally/Hill climb tracks to reverse the track direction at the top of the loop. Also where they are available.

Basically a switch operates a relay which reverses the voltage so you can drive back down the hill. Have a look here:

http://www.oldslotracer.com/Hillclimb4.html

Also have a search through Auslot, I remember at one stage trying to explain this to someone, there is quite a lenghty thread somewhere with lots of information.

The people in charge don't know what they are doing, but they have no idea that they have no idea what they are doing.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Gday

I've been through many posts on here without luck.

My track is positive wired analogue, Trackmate relay & RC software, 3 lanes routed.

I only want one reversing switch for all 3 lanes, ideally located at the power supply, and don't want to blow up electronic controllers!

Any assistance greatly appreciated, cheers

If you only want one reversing switch you will need to add a change over relay for each lane is the best option.There are industrial switches available that will work also usually rotary switches.

You need a six pole double throw change over switch, that breaks before makes, To ensure it does not short the power.

A switch before the controllers will not work with electronic

This switch is an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122466732165?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

A single switch might seem convenient, but it is actually much easier to have a bank of three DPDT switches instead, which also gives the ability to flick one over if one of your racing muppets turns up with a car wired wrong way at the braids.

As they go to the "track side" of the controller, they cannot affect controllers.

You simply run the switch wired cross-over with both wires to the track

Recovering Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Thanks Mark, might have to hide the switches from the practical joker muppets in our club!

Hi electrical gurus,

I have a 3 lane routed track,positive wired [power supplies' negative terminal wired to the left track braid in the direction of car travel] with the Trackmate relay.

Plan to install one reversing switch to do all 3 lanes, can this be done without affecting electronic controllers?

Cheers

Caddo

No need to reply, unless there are new developments on Phil's advice here:

f you only want one reversing switch you will need to add a change over relay for each lane is the best option.There are industrial switches available that will work also usually rotary switches.

You need a six pole double throw change over switch, that breaks before makes, To ensure it does not short the power.

A switch before the controllers will not work with electronic

This switch is an example.

http://www.ebay.com/...mMakeTrack=true

I am using relays on my track.

A 16 terminal Rotary switch will work also.

The change over switch or relays go after the controllers just before the connections to the track

I will draw up the two options over the weekend.

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg