What Is The Reason For Using One End Other The Other, End Bell Or Bell End?

mark iliff

Hi all, I have question, I have often wondered what the difference is between "can-end and bell end" is regarding motors, of course I know it refers to which end of the motor is driving the pinion/gear, but what is the reason for using one end other the other? :)

Edited by mark iliff

Isn't there two answers that apply to every question like this? Choose the one you find most appropriate:

i) Because they can.

ii) 42

I really do hope someone can come up with a realistic reason. One of the many things that has had me curious for a long time. But, I figured I'd probably asked my quota of possibly stupid questions. ;)

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I reckon that one company came out with a car using the can end, so their competition came out with a car using the bell end so that 1. they could claim they were better/different 2.you couldn't buy motors from the opposition 3. because someone at the factory made a mistake and put the motor in the wrong way.

DM

When Can type motors first came on the market they were all end bell drive, and the heat build up from brushes and the bearing tended to melt the crappy plastic end bells. Then some suppliers started to supply Can drive motors and the bearings in them tended to last much longer and they became the weapon of choice. These days the quality of the plastic end bells is much better BUT IMO the can drive motors should be better simply because the bearing is located in a solid metal can. The endbell bearing is S cans is a self aligning bearing that clips into the plastic end bell so will not stand the same loads as the can end bearing.

When Can type motors first came on the market they were all end bell drive, and the heat build up from brushes and the bearing tended to melt the crappy plastic end bells. Then some suppliers started to supply Can drive motors and the bearings in them tended to last much longer and they became the weapon of choice. These days the quality of the plastic end bells is much better BUT IMO the can drive motors should be better simply because the bearing is located in a solid metal can. The endbell bearing is S cans is a self aligning bearing that clips into the plastic end bell so will not stand the same loads as the can end bearing.

Great explanation, I did have slight idea that it had something to do with what you had said as I did read this somewhere before, but kind of forget what I had read.

But what about the Slot.it motors, such as the orange coloured, they come in different versions, is the only difference which end the pinion is on the shaft, so take my Slot.it orange motor with the pinion on the bell end, if I put the pinion on the can end - this should possibly be better for the motor, just I would have to change to a different motor pod for the motor to fit.

This would mean can-end is the way to go. Also don't they have the screw holes for fixing the motor to a pod- in the can end only.

Still makes me wonder why have the bell end option?, if can-end is better, I guess its because like you said that is how they were first made.

Edited by mark iliff

Isn't there two answers that apply to every question like this? Choose the one you find most appropriate:

i) Because they can.

ii) 42

I really do hope someone can come up with a realistic reason. One of the many things that has had me curious for a long time. But, I figured I'd probably asked my quota of possibly stupid questions. ;)

I like Embers second answer. Those bloody mice! :D

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto.

My poor Krell!

After a million years of shining sanity...

they could hardly have understood what power was destroying them.

Does get a little confusing when one compares the radio series, to the books, the video series, and the old dos based text adventure...

We apologise for the inconvenience.

Now back to the previous discussion.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction