mark iliff

Quick Change Digital/Analogue Mod.

Hi, thought I'd share this little bit of work I just did to make things easier when switching between digital and analogue racing, and also enables quick change of a motor without having to re-solder the chip. I know you don't have to remove the chip to switch between Analogue or Digital but some people may prefer to remove the chip when racing Analogue. I used new shorter motor wires and micro male/female 2 pin connectors. When the chip is either un-connected or removed from the car completely I then use a motor wire extension from the guide to the new connector that I soldered on the motor wires, the extension wires are made from Slot.it soft silicone cable with Slot.it brass eyelets on the guide ends and a new 2-pin connector on the other ends which connects to the motor.

Shown in the pictures is a Slot.it digital chip and Slot.it orange motor, showing the connectors I soldered on. The connectors I purchased(expensive I thought) from eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320694880612?

ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1612wt_754

http://photobucket.com/markiliff

I haven't shown the picture of the motor extension wire for when the chip is not used or in other words when racing Analogue as I haven't finished soldering it yet, because I'm not sure how long to cut the wires, as I'm waiting on delivery of the new car to fit the chip in. Will upload picture when done. Hope the pictures are ok for you all to see. Any questions, thoughts or comments welcome of course.

The micro connectors can be fiddly to solder, I used a helping hand soldering clamp to help, also used some 3mm shrinktube and a hairdryer to shrink the tube around the ends. (The bare wire you can see exposed still, I just left like that as it was not really possible to put any shrink tube on, but I don't think it needed it anyway).

Edited by mark iliff

Ok, I realised the wires are way too long!, I will shorten the wires on the motor but still leave a 2 pin connector on them. I think you get the idea of what I was trying to show though.

Friend of mine did something similar with his V8s. Works well.

It's funny cause when I got into slot cars recently, I was all set to be a digital racer, I thought Analogue was a no no, but all I do is use my Analogue set-up at the moment. Although cost is major factor, I'm sure as soon as I got a new 6car PB(on my wish list), I'll be enjoying digital the best and of course will have the option to use Analogue cars without having to swap around the power bases, I have all the basic stuff to play/race digital, but have been using my Analogue stuff instead at the moment. :)

EDIT: been playing with the digital stuff now I have my new Racer with slot.it digital chip in, it goes way quicker in digital, just need to get a few more decent cars now, have Slot.it Porshce coming soon and another chip.

Not a fan of Scalextic cars(but haven't had many and maybe my opinion will change), although I like the LMP SCX cars I have, maybe need to chip em though now to use on digital - not sure if I will or won't yet.

Edited by mark iliff

Digital racing is a different world. While car speed can be important, strategy and timing for lane changing and passing is more-so. I don't think the two can be directly compared, and shouldn't be. Its a bit like trying to compare Rally with F1 - both are motor races, but the challenge, skills and kit are quite different.

Enjoy both.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

Hi, here is a few pictures of the finished result after fitting the chip and motor to the car, I had to shorten the wires to get the bodyshell to fit and note that their is very limited space between the top of the motor and the bodyshell, I was just able to get the shell on, which I guess was lucky, the shell goes on as as it should but only just, so you have to keep the wiring tidy.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/f1rem0uth/DSCN6249.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/f1rem0uth/DSCN6250.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i452/f1rem0uth/DSCN6251.jpg

I can now unclip the 2pin connectors and remove or change the motor or complete pod without having de-solder the chip, of course it means I will need to have the 2pin connectors on any other re-placement motors.

I can also remove the digital chip and use a set of wires from the motor(with a 2pin connector) to the guide for just Analogue racing, some people prefer to not have the chip in when racing Analogue as it slows the car down

Is there any reason why some people prefer to remove the chip for analogue? Is it just for weight saving purposes?

Is there any reason why some people prefer to remove the chip for analogue? Is it just for weight saving purposes?

Hi, weight saving could be one reason to remove the chip when racing Analogue, but for some reason unknown to me, when you have the chip installed in the car and you race on an Analogue track the car doesn't go as quick, it slows by about 20% approx at a guess, you can definitely feel the difference.

Some people don't mind this and perhaps is not a big enough deal to warrant removing the chip if you swap between a digital and an analogue set up, especially if you do it often.

I'm not sure if this speed reduction applies to the 6car Power Base as I don't have one, but when I switch between my Scalextric 4car Power Base and Scalextric Sport Analogue set-up, my digital cars don't run as quick as my cars without a chip in, they feel sluggish, but as I said this could be preferred by some people as you will have less spin off's and crashes from going to fast!.

To be honest I don't remove my chips at the moment, I just use the cars as they are or use a different car for each type of track, so an analogue car for analogue and a digital car for digital, and I still sometimes use my cars that have a digital chip in on my analogue track.

I just liked the idea of being able to quickly dis-connect the motor and chip if needed, with the use of the 2pin connectors that I soldered on the motor and chip wires.

I doubt if racing in a competition or club it would be legal or in the rules to have these 2pin connections on your motors though, I'm not sure on this.

I just shown it as option, something different really, don't think too much of it, most people won't feel the need to go to the trouble of soldering 2pin connectors on their motors and chips, its not necessary to do this, but was just shown as an option. ;)

Edited by mark iliff

In the scaley world, the cars are slower for electrical reasons when the digital chip is installed. there is nothing that can be done about it, except to remove as you're doing. Also analog braking cannot be used when a chip is installed, also for electronic reasons.

Best analog performance can only be achieved on a chip-less car.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

In the scaley world, the cars are slower for electrical reasons when the digital chip is installed. there is nothing that can be done about it, except to remove as you're doing. Also analog braking cannot be used when a chip is installed, also for electronic reasons.

Best analog performance can only be achieved on a chip-less car.

Ian

Hi, thanks for that!, I knew their was a reason and I could definitely feel the difference with the chip fitted in the car on an Analogue track, I wasn't sure why but guess it was something to do with what you said and not much that can be done about it, other than to remove the chip. ;)