slot.it proxy 2011

15 replies to this topic

#1 shodan

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

Well it's been a long time but the dust is finally settling.
I thought I'd start this thread to share my thoughts on the whole experience, and I'd like to hear from all of those who participated.

I'd like to acknowledge the following people:

First of all, thanks to Steve Littlehales for kicking this off. I'm sorry you could not take a more active role in the series you helped create.

Thanks Maurizio Ferrari for your endorsement!

Thanks to the following people for running rounds and generally doing the needful:

Round 1 & 2: Chris for running and Ged for hosting. Tobais & other drivers
Round 3: Brett & drivers Chris,Tobias and Joe
Round 4 & 5: Tony & Ian
Round 6 & 7: Terry & Ian
Round 8: Tazracer
Round 9: Chris

Cheers to everyone who entered a car.

Finally, congratulations to Tobias for the Series win, well done mate!

Thoughts on the car.

I'm delighted the paint job was well recieved, but disappointed in the performance.

Here's my part list:
  • SICA06Z - Mercedes Sauber - White kit
  • SICH07 - Wood track guide
  • SICH47 - Spring suspension, medium springs
  • SICH60 - EVO6 motor mount
  • SIGA30 - 30t AW crown
  • SIPS10 - 10t 6.5mm pinion
  • SIMN09H - Flat6 20k open vent motor
  • SIPA25 - Axle stopper
  • SIPA39 - Independent front axle
  • SIPA47 - Axle spacers
  • SIPT27 - F22 Raptor tyres
I'm new to proxy racing, and didn't really understand the nature of it. I had no idea that the cars would be tuned along the way- I thought they would be run as is aside from anything major like wheels falling off.

In summary- I don't think I put enough time into tuning it, and I think I made it too complex. I also let it go despite not being happy with the gear ratio.

Thanks to everyone who fixed, fettled or poked at my car.

I've learned some valuable lessons and will be contesting some more proxy races.

Regards
Bry

Edited by shodan, 17 November 2011 - 10:09 AM.

#2 shodan

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:35 PM

*tumbleweeds*

#3 bov

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

Hi Bry,

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you on this, but then that's pretty much been the theme of this proxy - life getting in the way of other plans....

As I've said before, it's kudos to Chris & Brett for taking up the challenge and getting the proxy to it's conclusion - after Steve's great initial enterprises pretty much became completely unglued......

Biggest suprise for me in this proxy - compared to all the others I've been involved in overseas, was the deafening silence of the entrants... This proxy could go for weeks without anyone showing any great interest in what's happening - in the overseas proxies, if 2 days went by without someone saying something about what's happening - it'd be a case of "what's up with that?"....

Maybe it's just the Aussie 'she'll be right' attitude, but of the 12 entrants - I reckon there's more than a few who haven't posted hardly anything about the races, their cars or how hopeless those Sydney hosts are... (you know, the usual light hearted scorn and ridicule that go along with most proxies I've been involved in....)

Up here we were in the fortunate position to host both the ASPS and the international Slot.it Shootout Summer Series - very similar rules, just F series on the ASPS / spec C1's on the SSSS....

It would be fair to say that the front running ASPS cars would compare and fit in quite well with the front running SSSS cars - dependent on the track in question (at quite a few of the SSSS tracks, the 'teal' 19k motor was dominant...)

If the ASPS was re-run on exactly the same tracks to the same set of rules, what would I do different to my Sauber? Well, I'd go with the F22's rather than the F30's (so much for my theory about the ferrodore tracks wearing out the softer tire...); I'd go with an Orange endbell rather than the Yellow (easier to drive beats faster...); and I'd use Slot.it's new grub screw guide system (bulletproof...) - and probably a few other 'tweaks' as well.....

However, as it stands right now - when the Sauber does get back home, it's set-up will change to do battle at Armchair Racer... (But that's another Chapter, if not a completely different story....)

Edited by bov, 25 November 2011 - 04:47 PM.

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go
2. What's the Lap Record?

#4 manimmal

I'm Rad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

I think we didn't meet a 'critical mass' in our number of entrants, not a great deal of banter throughout the series as a result. I expected more entries, and i don't know if it was fear, funds, convenience or something else that lead to a small number of entries - ie Manimmal, Espsix, Bastumannen, Ged, Obsidith and Slittlehales are all mmr entries - half the field. I guess my point here is greater numbers would have helped momentum.

I found with my moving house early in the series, and Steve's withdrawal meant finding enough drivers to run my track on any given day was ultimately impossible. My track would have been a great addition to the series with her tendence to reward handling over power, so it was a bit sad to see the event move.

I was very impressed with the top three cars, and in particular i learn a great deal on set up on one of these cars when i opened up the bovmobile to reattach the wing and fix the wire.

Should the event run next year i will enter a car for sure. Host a round? not likely, I don't need a repeat of my effort this year. Organise the series? let's just say organisation, planning etc are not listed as strong points on my resume...

For the guys who have pm'd me with return address', your cars are on their way. I'm still after an address for Chris p and Jaak b, These two cars are still with me, and I'll keep them safe and ship them out once I've got shipping details.
My mum says I'm an excellent driver

#5 miveson

Raid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

Car arrived back today... lucky it was the proxy car and not another shelf queen.

Whilst the series was slower than some of the other proxy series, I saw little point in complaining.

I appreciate the hard work everyone put in to running the proxy and for the maintenance work that was done on my car.

I'd have to agree that with the limited number of entrants it was at times difficult to get any momentum going, hopefully next year (if there is a next year) we may get some additional entrants.

Mark

#6 Stubbo

Classic Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

View Postmanimmal, on 26 November 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

I think we didn't meet a 'critical mass' in our number of entrants, not a great deal of banter throughout the series as a result. I expected more entries, and i don't know if it was fear, funds, convenience or something else that lead to a small number of entries - ie Manimmal, Espsix, Bastumannen, Ged, Obsidith and Slittlehales are all mmr entries - half the field. I guess my point here is greater numbers would have helped momentum.

Should the event run next year i will enter a car for sure. Host a round? not likely, I don't need a repeat of my effort this year. Organise the series? let's just say organisation, planning etc are not listed as strong points on my resume...

To all,

Do you think it is possible that the timing of the event was an issue? From memory cars had to be in the hands of the organiser on the 30/12/2010.

Mannimal, I noticed your predicament with drivers but unfortunately I didn't have time to reaarange things to be able to offer to help out. If you host a round next year I am sure that with a bit of notice we could be available to help out with driving if needed. You might even be able to get Slo1quick to help as well.

If the series was to be run again and time allowed I would probably enter.
Alan Stubbings

#7 bov

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Hi Chris,

Happy to advise that the #6 Sauber arrived back today.

Looks in remarkably good shape - a credit to the hosts for looking after the cars so well!
Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go
2. What's the Lap Record?

#8 shodan

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

Number #47 Sauber also arrived back the other day, thank you!
In very good nick too I might add, it is only missing a mirror, a decal & a considerable amount of rubber ;)

Good point Stubbo, the timing was not ideal, but I don't think it had too much negative impact- I think the major issue was communication fell apart unfortunately when Steve, as organiser, was no longer able to direct the show.

If it is run again, I would be keen to enter and try to redeem myself.

#9 haystack

Lawn Tractor Pilot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

#60 Sauber was dropped off by the postie today, well packaged and in good order, thanks mannimal.

Edited by haystack, 05 December 2011 - 03:09 PM.

Chris
H.M.C.C

#10 SlotsNZ

Formula 1 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,429 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:36 AM

I was initially going to enter this series, but I had strong issue with the rules and Steve's repsonse when I pointed out that the draft rules were not what I thought a good balance. I know of at least 2 others who initially advised they were entering, but subsequently withdrew for the very same rules issues. - As I was receving PMS thick and fast.

I resolved not to be a wet blanket and post anything further negative. But Bov, you and I had some discussions by email about what we felt were shortcomings in the rules for both this series and the SSSS.

If the rules were balanced, and thus provided encouragement for experienced builders to fully tune a car, and see it run under good hosting conditionss I think you would acheive more entries, greater interest, more people sticking their hands up to host as well as entering . . and that might provide critical mass.

I wouldn't like to host an NZ round in Hawkes Bay in 2012 as we have both the NZPR and at least one round of the Tasman series to host locally, and our club calendar already looks full with those, the nationals, and the 12 hour enduro; but I'd certainly be willing to put in an entry, and we would probably get other Kiwi entries from here, and perhaps New Plymouth and Auckland groups.
I also have my NZ slotting newsletter which goes out to around 250 people here and a few further afield which could be used as a promotion tool.

cheers

mark
Slots addict 1st class * Inaugural and undefeated "Pie-Bone 400 champion" For of course, team "We Don't Gloat" * Slot.it Shootout Champion 2015 * Harmon Memorial Winner 2017 * Lathe Addict Extra-ordinaaire * Itinerant Mediterranean cuisine junkie * Hobbit 3rd class * Legend in my own imagination * Classic quote for 2018 "The older I get, the faster I was" * My Track Oakland Raceway V2 | * | Club intro on Youtube

#11 espsix

Garage Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

I'd just like to say thanks to Chris (Manimmal) for taking over when Steve Walked away from the series, also to the hosts, for helping out with running the rounds and getting the cars to the next round in great condition, also to the entrants for being very patient with what were some long delays between rounds..

i doubt this series will see the light of day in the near future, but, again, thanks to all involved!

Edited by espsix, 10 December 2011 - 10:55 AM.

#12 Obsidith

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

Any idea where Jason's car is?

Mark Dickson.
Posted Image

#13 manimmal

I'm Rad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

Sorry Mark,

I forgot to reply to your pm a week or two back. The car is at Ged's ready to be collected. If Jason doesn't want to come get it then it would still be great to meet you. To arrange a time call Ged 12-6 9484 0891.

Cheers,
Chris
My mum says I'm an excellent driver

#14 Obsidith

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

Jason is unable to do so due to having to be under medical care.

We will have to arrange postage of this car as distance to drive and work times are an issue.

If payment for postage is an issue please message me.

Cheers
Mark
Posted Image

#15 espsix

Garage Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

Chris, make sure you recoup all costs associated with jasons car.

#16 Jaak

Slotalot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:08 AM

Hey,

I am one of those who did not let himself be heard,
and i am very sorry for that i had real life issues (Mom very ill and passed away) which kept my mind on other things.

I do not see it as a valid excuse not to spend a few minutes on the comp to show apreciation or let myself be heard.
You can put me down for next proxy whatever rules you set up and i promise i will give you guys a hard time (banter)

Who and what do i need to pay or did i already xD (forgot)
and do i need to give address details if so to whom?

In annyways i like to thank all Hosts and all the people who helped & participated and where involved in this proxy. ;)

EDIT: just found out who i need to PM :rolleyes:

Posted ImagePosted Image
THINGIEPHILE REBEL EXTRAORDINAIRE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users