~Scx Guide, Keeps Popping Out!~

mark iliff

Hi people, I'm after some tips on fixing the guide on one of my SCX cars, its an SCX Peugeot 908 HDI, "non digital", also similar to my SCX Audi R10, it has the original guide that came fitted on the car. Some of you racers may already know what I'm going to say is the problem!. It only happens on the Peugeot car I have and not on the Audi, it happens on the Peugeot virtually everytime the back end slides around too far, it has never happened once with my Audi which has exactly the same guide. Ok, "so the problem is just simply the fact that the guide keeps popping out", I would really like to get this fixed, can this be fixed?, am I correct in that I will have to put a shim or a spacer or something similar like a few washers maybe around the top of the guide post to stop the guide from coming out. Is their a particular sized shim or spacer that I can use?, that maybe asking a bit too much detail, but it would really help, if that is what is needed to be done. I know about the B-Nova guide mod - but seems a bit too much work for me!, as I don't have a drill. I love my 2 SCX cars, I think they are fantastic cars and great fun to drive, I would love to try one of the SCX Pro cars too, anyways, "thanks for any help shared" ~Cheers for now~ B)

You could get some Evergreen plastic tubing and cut a small (5mm) piece and once again lift the guide up and then place the plastic piece over the end of the guide as a sleeve. Works just as well but you need to get some plastic tubing for this fix!

Buy the hot glue gun as you will need it fopr many other tasks in this hobby!

Edited by Yngwie

You could get some Evergreen plastic tubing and cut a small (5mm) piece and once again lift the guide up and then place the plastic piece over the end of the guide as a sleeve. Works just as well but you need to get some plastic tubing for this fix!

hi, yeh that is what I was thinking about the glue gun, it will have many uses, like glueing motors in and stuff. What you mention about the tubing that is more along the lines of what I was thinking of doing, I'll have look on the Bay for some, maybe I can buy a selection pack with a few sizes in, I'm sure it won't cost too much, gotta be cheaper than a glue gun. Thanks for the help. ;)

Just had look on eBay, that Evergreen tubing looks brilliant, I guess I should already really own some!, it looks as though it could come in very handy. Do you think I should buy the plastiscky type tubing for this, not the metal or brass. I'm gonna have to make sure I buy the correct size though. 5mm is 3/16 in inches and works out at 4.8mm outer diameter and 3.4mm inner diameter. I think this will fit perfectly. Here is a link to the tubing I was looking at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastruct-TBFS-6-Round-Tubing-3-16-8-PLS90605-/180637443830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0ed4a6f6#ht_2245wt_891

Edited by mark iliff

He means Epoxy if you need to translate.

a ha ha, yeh I know what he means. Araldite or Epoxy, was buying some a few weeks ago, and got talked into buying something else and ended up with clear adhesive, I know its completely different! :lol:

WOOPS looks like I double Posted!, can I remove this and if so how do I do it?. Thanks and sorry.

Edited by mark iliff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, got some Evergreen round tubing, I ended up buying some 3/16" or 4.8mm, internal diameter is approx 4mm, it cost me about $5 with another item I purchased(some sanding sticks).

When I got it, I thought it was too small to fit over the guide, but I realised that was good as it stretches a bit, I only needed to cut a piece about 2mm thick with a sharp hobby knife and I sanded it a little to get it dead smooth and level and then pushed it over the top of the guide post, it fits really well, and because it has to be stretched over the top of the guide post slightly to fit the tubing on - the tubing stays on really snugly.

The guide has enough play left in it for the spring to work so the guide keeps central.

I'm really pleased with the outcome, it may seem expensive at first to buy the tubing, as you only need a small piece to do one guide, but it's definitely worth it for the result.

After a testing the car hard to make it spin out on the track, the guide never popped out once again, and I didn't even have to glue the tubing in place, so now the guide can be easily removed when needed.

Will post a picture of the guide and the tubing I put on, in the next 24hrs.

Thankyou so much for the tip, that really helped me out to fix this little issue.

http://www.ebay.co.u...2#ht_2369wt_891 the tubing I purchased.

Edited by mark iliff

Hi, here is a few pics of the SCX car that I had trouble with the guide popping out when the rear end slid out. A small piece of styrene tubing fixed this problem 100%.

http://i1094.photobu...th/DSCN6188.jpg

http://i1094.photobu...th/DSCN6193.jpg

http://i1094.photobu...th/DSCN6194.jpg :)

No need to glue in place.

If you buy the same size I did, the tubing at first may seem too small, but this is good as it stretches a little and so

this helps to keep the tubing a tight snug fit around the top of the guide post

A piece of about 2mm is all you need 3/16" or 4.8mm with an internal diameter of 4mm.

(Evergreen Styrene tube 226).

Cut with a sharp hobby knife and if you like smooth the edge with a sanding stick if needed.

After testing the car hard, and after numerous spin off's, not once did the guide pop out again, and it now has a better contact with the metal tabs/strips that go to the motor.

(Any left over tubing, which I had plenty, can be used to make drinking straws! :lol: ) NOT.

Edited by mark iliff