Scalextric Digital Pit Lane Game Repair

Tally

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew what type of sensors are on the SSD Pit lane game ? Reason being mine got destroyed by a car with a longer type of blade!

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to repair rather than throw it away !

Am assuming you mean the Car ID sensor, not the slot guide opto-isolator sensor on the start/finish line...

The SMD sensors are generally unknown - however a larger device can be installed with a small bit of work. Off the top of my head I can't remember what the alternative is. Will find out for you.

If you have an unused PB6 or Digital Lap Counter, you could raid it for spares, and put that on. The very fact that you've worked out the fault probably means you have the skills to complete this swap-over.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew what type of sensors are on the SSD Pit lane game ? Reason being mine got destroyed by a car with a longer type of blade!

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to repair rather than throw it away !

Am assuming you mean the Car ID sensor, not the slot guide opto-isolator sensor on the start/finish line...

The SMD sensors are generally unknown - however a larger device can be installed with a small bit of work. Off the top of my head I can't remember what the alternative is. Will find out for you.

If you have an unused PB6 or Digital Lap Counter, you could raid it for spares, and put that on. The very fact that you've worked out the fault probably means you have the skills to complete this swap-over.

Ian

Ian

Yes it is the car ID sensor on the track attached to the pit lane game. It is some type of surface mount opto sensor but obviously too small for identifiers. I was thinking possibly I could get them from RS if anyone had carried out the repair before. I like your idea about robbing from another device may look at that as a last resort. I did contact Scalextric in the UK but they were about as much use as chocolate spanner !

The part used for Pit-Pro is a reasonably large IR optotransistor from Osram - SFH3100F. (Available from Farnell) This seems to work well, and mounted properly into the track, is a good solid part.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

I'm pretty sure what you need is available from Radio Spares.

Part # is an IR DETECTOR SDP8436

Ian, Didn't you give me this part #?? It's the one you use on the Pit Pro upgrade??

I've bought them on line and 2 cost less than $4.00 posted.

The pit game sensor is mounted too high in the standard track piece and needs to be spaced further down, read - lower the thing in the track, and the cars guides won't smash it again.

"S#!t Happens"

I'm pretty sure what you need is available from Radio Spares.

Part # is an IR DETECTOR SDP8436

Ian, Didn't you give me this part #?? It's the one you use on the Pit Pro upgrade??

Yes I probably did - RS had parts, whereas Farnell needed to import. The parts have slightly different wavelengths for optimum detection. The 8436 has a far broader wavelength detection range, which arguably makes it more susceptable to wavelentghs just above visible light, but at the distance used, both perform adequately. AFAIK, the actual wavelength of the Scaley parts has never been reliably determined.

Either work. Ian