Multi Level Drift Track

6 replies to this topic

#1 Madeye

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

After having a go of silver rockets rally track i couldnt help but be hooked. With the long weekend and all i thought that there was no better time than to start putting one together.

Due to limited space but still wanting a technical track with lots of corners i decided to make it 2 levels.

The bottom level is slightly wider than the top being 4100 x 1200

My fav part of Ira's track are the dirt sections where you can get the car sideways. I drive a bit like a cut snake trying to get the car sideways as much as posible and spend alot of the time crashing rather than putting together fast laps.

Hopefully this track will get the wheels spinning

Layout was way harder than i thought but im pretty happy with it. Though the proof will be once its running.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Madeye

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

Ok now for some questions.

I have been told that braid is way better than tape. But i really like how much cheaper and easeir it seems. Is braid really that good?

Whats the simplest and cheapest way to time the track ? And no i dont have a lap top or spare pc

Any tips on what 2 cars to buy first. I would like them to be as close as posible. Have always liked the old gt40s Ferrari f40 and also like the new merc sls.

Lastly does anyone in WA have some second hand parmers they want to get rid of ?

Thanks guys

#3 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

Looking good Jaydo... :D
I Miss Brocky...

#4 dangermouse

Kart Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

Cool looking track.

Have you seen this track -
I would put tape down - by all reports braid is better - but tape will do the job for your first track.
Timing - there are timing systems from SCX or AFX or Carrera that may work - expect to pay $60 or so though. There was mention on another forum of a radio control car timing system. Will do some searching and post what I find.

cheers
DM

#5 Yngwie

V8 Supercar Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

View PostMadeye, on 30 October 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

Ok now for some questions.

I have been told that braid is way better than tape. But i really like how much cheaper and easeir it seems. Is braid really that good?

Copper tape will require maintenance. You will have lifting problems in hotter weather and will need to re-bursnish it. Also, tape will split in places so you will need to fix this issue. Braid is that much better!

Whats the simplest and cheapest way to time the track ? And no i dont have a lap top or spare pc

The cheapest timing system is a PC. You can get older PC's for nothing these days *check ebay under Computers -> Wholesale lots. Get the timing sensors of Syd (in WA) and a parallel cable). Download SRM from the SRM and this system will be fool proof and needs very little in the way of processing power!

Any tips on what 2 cars to buy first. I would like them to be as close as possible. Have always liked the old gt40s Ferrari f40 and also like the new merc sls.

Buy the cars you like. Just buy the same car but different livery and you should have a good chance of having evenly matched cars. Need to find 2 evenly matched drivers now!

Lastly does anyone in WA have some second hand parmers they want to get rid of ?

Thanks guys

Edited by Yngwie, 31 October 2011 - 08:21 AM.

#6 Madeye

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

Have been busy.

Legs are in and it starting to take shape

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have also now routerd the recess for the braid.
Painting and laying braid next. Not looking forward to laying the braid though

Does any stores in WA sell parmers ?

#7 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

Try Col's shop at Maddington or maybe pm Syd he might have some spares kickin around...

Ehhehehe oh & btw it's Parma :lol:

Tracks looking good but!
I Miss Brocky...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users