Roger Miller

Alternative ? Tyre Info....

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pauls-Slot-Car-Shop/XPG-Extreme-Racing-Tires-/_i.html?_fsub=1110236012&_sid=563998122&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Howdy,

I Bought these to try out.

Curious as to shore rating you would give these ? and or comparison to slot-it or NSR range of tires.

Thank You

Hi Roger,

The urethane I buy for the XPG compound is not Shore Durometer rated by the manufacturer. It is originally designed for making prosthetic limbs for amputees (a sideline of mine). By comparison with the urethane A30 & A40 I use for the X-Soft and Soft compounds I would guess the XPG is about a Shore A20. I stopped comparing to Slot.it and NSR tires years ago when my cars were first beaten by local racers making their own urethane tires. And they were running the Shore A40. I can say that they are easier to true up, don't need any oils or treatments, and almost never need any cleaning unless someone else has used oils on their tires. Never use tape to clean them or you will always need tape to clean them! Most of my Aussie customers are converts from MJK urethane tires and Slot.it/NSR before that. You won't get any sticky marbles on the track like you get from NSR/Racer/BRM natural rubber tires. Traction is very high compared to rubber and silicone tires. I am still trying to find a suitable method of comparing the Co-efficient of Friction between the various types of tires. After all, balsa wood has approx. a Shore A40 rating but zero traction!

More importantly, when you first try them you may find the traction excessive, this can be altered by buffing them on sandpaper. I like the traction I get with a 240 grit, others like more and use upwards of 600 to 1000 grit. Just a quick spin on the paper, 2-3 seconds is all that is needed. You may also like the handling better if you swap the rear air-ride wheels with the solid fronts, if they are the same size, as most NSR cars are. Build the car "tight"! No sloppy axles or sideplay, gluing the motor is good too. If you are using a wood track with latex paint or Carrera/Scaley Sport you will be very pleased. Feel free to ask as many questions you might have, I'm here to help...cheers...paul

...............Take it easy

OK im curious,very.How does one go about making urethane tires/tyres?(send me a PDF) or purchasing the above mentioned locally home made: Has to be easier than calculating any chemical dangers: Dont really want to lose a limb for this. I have a small collection of spares of which may come in handy for door stops or knee reconstuctions. As a new guy i hadn't heard of urethane on slots only on skateboards(yes 3 months new,almost a virgin) but always interested in better handling on track. Using scalextric digital pro track at present & loving all the rear end slides, just the de-slots on hairpins that trouble me & getting some traction exiting. cheers from Gaz Ave a good w/end.

One can purchase urethane tyres. MJK produce locally and sell through the sponsors websites for around $14 per set. They produce a good all rounder that seems to hook up on most surfaces.

Everyone has their tyres favourites like anything else. I tend to run on MJKs or homebrews from friends on Scalex Sport track.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Mjk's do seem to work nicely on most surfaces. They won't grip life an F15 or F22 but on some cars,especially taller sedans,too much grip can be an issue. Car setup is as important though.

www.sigmamansmodels.com

Howdy,

These arrived a few days ago. Only just really looking at them today.

They fit the rims [sloting plus 16x10] nicely and don't seem to want to rotate without glue.

However Im not hopeful of their performance, bu just looking at them.

Way harder than NSR/Slot it euro-thanes. Opaque black in color

They really look like a cross between silicone's and euro-thanes.

I test them out and get back.

Paul gage tyres are used by many folks and they are pretty good. Hoffy tried a set of the supersoft jobs on high powered proxy car. LMP from memory and they had great grip but balled up and went greasy on ferradore. I think it was Daves track when it was really new.So he used MJKs instead and finished mid pack i think.Dennis had great results with them before they were banned. I think he used them on lower powered cars like scaley v8s?? but he will know for sure.

The XPGs are softer again so beware putting them on a torquey motored car like a reynard but until you try you never know. The shore rating doesn't always tell you the resiliency of the compound. I have never seen NSR supergrips ball up but i have seen f22s do it which are supposedly harder. So give those suckers a whirl and let us know how they performed.

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

I finally got around to assessing Paul's tires.

On my Reynard I had deslots in a straight line.

On my FLY 917 deslots in a straight line.

Therefore slot is coming out of groove, via wheel stand.

So the grip must be a lot better than you expected?

BTW - Neither Slot.it nor NSR make urethane tyres.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC