slotmadmac

Easy Guide Mount Fix

I was fixing a broken guide mount for one of the guys and was going to use my usual trick of reinforcing the epoxy with a piece of wire. (The wire gives you something to glue to the chassis). It's always a hassle keeping the wire in place while the epoxy is setting - so I looked for a better way. Here is a brief how-to using a safety pin.

First grind out the old guide mount ready to take a 3/16 piece of brass tube cut to the length of the broken guide mount. I also dremmeled away some of the plastic where the guide meets the inside of the chassis. You'll see why soon.

guide4.jpg

Get a 50mm safety pin, open it out wide and fit the brass tube into the hole at the end. It will fit perfectly. Slide the safety pin so it's all the way down one end of the cut tube. The tension in the clip will hold it there nice and tight. Run a bead of epoxy around the clip to lock it in place. I used 5 minute epoxy.

guide5.jpg

Trim the safety pin leaving some wire out each side. Epoxy the tube to the chassis. If you wait until the epoxy used above is tacky, this is much easier. I also roughed up the side of the tube that was being glued to the chassis with a file to give the glue something to adhere to.

guide3.jpg

I then used JB Weld to set the new mount in place. The cut paper clip acts as reinforcing. Dremmeling out the plastic where the guide meets the inside of the chassis lets the wire sit flat, ready for the JB Weld - or epoxy if you prefer.

guide2.jpg

This method keeps the bottom half of the guide tube 'clean' so the guide will rotate smoothly when it's fitted.

guide1.jpg

Hope this was of interest. I've never repaired a broken mount faster.

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

Ingenious. Filed away against future need.

Thanks

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Great effort, I always hate fiddling around trying to bend & keep a small piece of wire in place, the safety pin idea looks a lot easier & more effective.

Cheers

Phil

MATE

You are on it

Thanks for that great idea

Can't say I have ever broken a guide yet but will keep that in mined for a later date

Thanks again for posting your fix...........

Steve :o:DB) B)

Steve

ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS BEFORE OR AFTER

IS JUST WAITING RACING IS LIFE STEVE MCQUEEN

Great tip .....it should be pinned.

Edited by munter

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Fantastic invention.

How well does the JB Weld adhere to the plastic chassis?

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Awesome thanks for posting that up I was just getting on here to post up & ask how do ppl repair these!

I broke one today & have a few other cars with broken ones so I thought I'd ask how do ppl repair them, I'll be giving this a go for sure, cheers!

I Miss Brocky...

Fantastic invention.

How well does the JB Weld adhere to the plastic chassis?

Perfectly. I like it more than epoxy because if you want to change something it can be chipped off cleanly after it sets.

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

Thanks slotmadmack, that's a great way of doing the repair. I'll be on it as soon as i get a safety pin. Thanks for the photos too.