Slot.It Orange Can With Ssd Chip?

mark iliff

hi, this question has probably been asked a few times now, but I was wanting to find out the latest on using the slot.it orange can motor with a Scalextric digital chip(retro-fit Saloon), will the motor be too powerful and blow the chip?. I'll only be using the motor at home and my longest straight at the moment is only 7 long straight sections in length, I was wondering as my track doesn't have massively long straights would this mean that the chip is not going to be blown as easily by the slot.it motor, or does this not really make any difference?. Could the chip blow from over heating anyway regardless of the highest top speed I can reach on my track?. Should I just buy a slot.it chip?. Cheers for any replies, any help appreciated. :unsure:

EDIT: Thanks for the kind and helpful replies, your expertise and advice is all really appreciated, its always nice to have a second opinion, and thanks for your time to read and reply. ;)

Edited by mark iliff

hi, this question has probably been asked a few times now, but I was wanting to find out the latest on using the slot.it orange can motor with a Scalextric digital chip(retro-fit Saloon), will the motor be too powerful and blow the chip?. I'll only be using the motor at home and my longest straight at the moment is only 7 long straight sections in length, I was wondering as my track doesn't have massively long straights would this mean that the chip is not going to be blown as easily by the slot.it motor, or does this not really make any difference?. Could the chip blow from over heating anyway regardless of the highest top speed I can reach on my track?. Should I just buy a slot.it chip?. Cheers for any replies, any help appreciated. :unsure:

The standard SSD chip is designed and rated for the standard SSD can.

The length of straight is not likely to be any bearing, as an electic motor generally takes maximum current at zero revs, so it'll be more dependant upon how much accelerating you do, not how long you run at max power.

The SSD chips can be uprated, by replacing a number of components. Alternatively, get a slot-it chip (if you can) as they are designed for more grunt.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

I successfully use the yellow 20K RPM scaley motors with SSD chips however have found the orange 25K scaley motors either slow or blow the SSD chip. I use the SlotIt chip with the 25K motors and they work OK albeit probably too much power to try and keep under control.

Cheers

Phil

I know from what I've read that I shouldn't, but I run 4 Slot.it orange motors on standard Scaley saloon chips. They are basically magnet house cars and get a flogging with visitors. Have just had the first chip blow after probably 18 months of on and off usage. Sessions of one hour or more are the norm. I'll be replacing the blown chip, once tested, with another Scaley chip.

I,ve got more cars with other 21k motors that run on the same chip OK.

DON'T over do the magnets

Most of these cars , you wouldn"t fit a Slot.It chip in anyways.

You can get blown chips up-graded easily, and I've had many chips blow in standard Scaley cars

Cheers

J

"S#!t Happens"

I know from what I've read that I shouldn't, but I run 4 Slot.it orange motors on standard Scaley saloon chips. They are basically magnet house cars and get a flogging with visitors. Have just had the first chip blow after probably 18 months of on and off usage. Sessions of one hour or more are the norm. I'll be replacing the blown chip, once tested, with another Scaley chip.

I,ve got more cars with other 21k motors that run on the same chip OK.

DON'T over do the magnets

Most of these cars , you wouldn"t fit a Slot.It chip in anyways.

You can get blown chips up-graded easily, and I've had many chips blow in standard Scaley cars

Cheers

J

Thanks for the nice reply, when you say you can get blown chips upgraded easily, do you mean by a shop or by someone in the know that basically just knows how to fix them?. At least I know to keep any blown chips now. But surly the cost of repairing a blown chip - would it be worth it, I guess that depends on the cost. It is just tempting to use the Scaley chip, as I have a spare one, and if it blows I'll have to buy a slot.it chip anyway!. At least I'll get to find out if I try it myself, and I suppose it is only a £10 chip. Thanks. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Gday ken/mark . New fella here Gaz. We run a digital track with all the fruit i can think of. Our first obstacle was to work out why the track kept going into safe mode. was informed that digital can only handle so much load at once, it basically shuts down to protect itself.Then we had a few racers putting 20-25+rpm motors in their cars running standard scalextric chips.Apparently what can happen is the motor draws too much current/overload resulting in either safe mode time out or blown chips. Trust me i saw 1 car catch fire on track. Now us being grown men wouldnt accept this dilema & after making some enquiries got some very helpfull advice from Mr Armchair Racer(Kev) use the slotit chip sisp12 as it will handle more load & it works, no blown chips yet. However when you get 4 cars using 20-30 rpm motors there is definitley noticable load on track & things do get marginally slower. I myself have stuck with standard scalycar with sisp12 chip & have no problem racing in time with my mates. I think Scalextric had this all sorted before going to market with their product & would advise others to kep it simple light on magnets motors & enjoy.Does anyone use the brake button on their handset?slot it chip will adapt into almost any scaly saloon car, not F1s.icon10.gif

when you say you can get blown chips upgraded easily, do you mean by a shop or by someone in the know that basically just knows how to fix them?. At least I know to keep any blown chips now. But surly the cost of repairing a blown chip - would it be worth it, I guess that depends on the cost. It is just tempting to use the Scaley chip, as I have a spare one, and if it blows I'll have to buy a slot.it chip anyway!. At least I'll get to find out if I try it myself, and I suppose it is only a £10 chip. Thanks. :ph34r:

The following thread on SF sets out the how to fix blown SSD chips & this mod actually increases the motor size a repaired chip can handle.

I have attempted this mod a few times but stuffed it up on each occassion due to the mirco soldering required.

My local electronics guy repaired one for me and it works really well and the parts cost around AUD $5 per chip and I have left a heap with him to repair in his own time but that was a long time ago so I guess he is busy.

If you have to pay someone to do this mod it may be a bit pricey but given the power of the chip is improved I reckon it's worth it. ;)

Hope this helps.

PS. I have smoked a few chips as well and once your over the cost of the loss you can laugh about how cool the smoke rising from under the bonnet looks. ;)

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17259&st=0&p=184648entry184648

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

when you say you can get blown chips upgraded easily, do you mean by a shop or by someone in the know that basically just knows how to fix them?. At least I know to keep any blown chips now. But surly the cost of repairing a blown chip - would it be worth it, I guess that depends on the cost. It is just tempting to use the Scaley chip, as I have a spare one, and if it blows I'll have to buy a slot.it chip anyway!. At least I'll get to find out if I try it myself, and I suppose it is only a £10 chip. Thanks. :ph34r:

The following thread on SF sets out the how to fix blown SSD chips & this mod actually increases the motor size a repaired chip can handle.

I have attempted this mod a few times but stuffed it up on each occassion due to the mirco soldering required.

My local electronics guy repaired one for me and it works really well and the parts cost around AUD $5 per chip and I have left a heap with him to repair in his own time but that was a long time ago so I guess he is busy.

If you have to pay someone to do this mod it may be a bit pricey but given the power of the chip is improved I reckon it's worth it. ;)

Hope this helps.

PS. I have smoked a few chips as well and once your over the cost of the loss you can laugh about how cool the smoke rising from under the bonnet looks. ;)

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17259&st=0&p=184648entry184648

Hi, oh I see what you mean now about getting the chips fixed!, I think that is the Guy in Australia who knows how to do this, I remember now it was mentioned about it somewhere on this Forum. By the way I have my first Slot.it orange motor, and I couldn't wait for delivery of my new Slot.it chip, so I used my spare Scaley Saloon chip, and so far it works fine, although at the moment I haven't been racing for long periods continuously, but yeh it works!, at least it does at the moment, lol. :D