Torana Question

Ember

Hello to all you Torana fans and afficienados. A quick question for you all. I'm working on a repaint of the Scaley Torana. I just got sick of looking at yellow ones and decided to paint one up based on my brother's LH. I'm in the process of putting together a decal pack for it. Although it wasn't lime it was this version:

384278388QEnYRU_fs.jpg

The question is, does it have the black in the rear spoiler the same as the black bonnet rendition?

29260180005_large.jpg

And if it doesn't, does it have the hollow SL/R 5000 in the same position? I don't remember and for the life of me I can't find any photos from the rear that I can definitely say belong to the non-black one.

Thanks lads

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Bugger!!! That's what I didn't want to see.

Hang on! That isn't original. It's got colour coded bumpers. Shouldn't it have chrome?

Plus they've just used a standard Euro font on it. The 5 and the R are incorrect. The R particularly. It should have a straight leg/tail not curved.

Yikes! I'm becoming a Torana nerd. My dad will disinherit me!

Edited by Ember

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Curiouser and curiouser. That one seems to have a black bonnet. Damn the ability to option! :wacko:

Though I'm thinking that tail with the big SLR is the later rendition.

Edited by Ember

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

I don't know if this will help.Straight out of the 1:43 display, so Trax did the research. They are normally pretty good. Shoot me down if need be. Photos and captions not in any particular order.

The orange car is the A9X variant, and does not have the text on the sill panels, but a different size font on the spoiler, and is the only one with the bonnet hump standard, and has round headlights, in the square surround.

P9111629.jpg

All the SLR 5000's should have the text on the sills, LH or LX.

P9111628.jpg

I think your photo of the green car (mint julep?) has correct decals for a SL/R and someone has added the 5000 to it.

P9111627.jpg

Ineresting that while the black bonnrt is gloss on the blue and red models I have, the Tuxedo Black one is matt black.

I have just bought 1:1 an SL and an SL/R so more research may be needed yet.

Cheers

John

"S#!t Happens"

Sorry... Must've been the onions.

Edited by Ember

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Thanks for those John. I think my head might explode.

My brother had both the '74 version and the '77. Ever the black sheep, he was the only Holden fan in a family of blue ovals, although his first car was an XW.

From my understanding, memory and very limited research: The '74 that he had (which is the SLR with the round headlamps, yes?) was an orange version of the model pictured above. Here's a real photo of a silver one:

slr.JPG

And another in mint:

1974_Holden_Torana_(LH)_SLR_5000_L34_sedan_(2008-04-06).jpg

I don't recall it having the SLR 5000 across the rear spoiler. I still think this was only on the later one.

The '77 that he owned later was the full bling SLR5000 in gold with the SLR in negative on the black sills, like this one:

P186129FJR003DNU_medium.jpg

The '77 had less chrome than the earlier edition with the mirrors and door handles in black. I've seen a lot of photos in my limited period of research with self coloured bumpers, but I believe these have been done as aftermarket updates. I don't remember coloured bumpers on cars as being the norm until they became plastic(the bumpers, not the cars).

The trouble is the only rear view images that I've found that don't have the SLR5000 across the spoiler are the first one I posted and this one:

26101390006_large.jpg

Oh what the heck. I'll just go for the full black tail and the smaller SL/R on the spoiler. It looks better to me. I never did like the big SLR guff.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Thought this might help. Earlier LH square headlight had small slr5000 decals on the front guards and right hand side of rear spoiler black stripes on side and rear spoiler colored bonnet. Later LX round headlight had black bonnet and large slr5000 down both sills and spoiler. Currently building an LX replica 1:1 and have just travelled down this road.

YAY!!! Thankyou! That is just what I wanted to hear. If you weren't a Torana fan I'd kiss you.

Oh what the hell!

smiley_kiss.gif

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

The 74 model was a LH. The common garden variety torrie and the slr5000 had square head lights. If you bought the optioned L34 package it came with round headlights. The LX came with round headlights regardless. The A9X optioned LX came with the yet to be released UC Torrie floorpan. This allowed the fitment of rear disk brakes on the LX.

Edited by rick1776

cheers

rick1776

The 74 model was a LH. The common garden variety torrie and the slr5000 had square head lights. If you bought the optioned L34 package it came with round headlights. The LX came with round headlights regardless. The A9X optioned LX came with the yet to be released UC Torrie floorpan. This allowed the fitment of rear disk brakes on the LX.

I think you are spot on

Knew I had this somewhere, 1974 LH SL/R 5000

I always thought the larger decal/signage on the LX was a bit gaudy and over the top.

I really don't think I took much notice of these (LH), as I was into bikes at the time, but you couldn't miss the later LX on the road

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

"S#!t Happens"

Embs,

We have a few torries in the family.

I'll pretty much confirm what a couple of others have posted.

LH Torana... (1974 to 76ish)

Stock slr5000 - Square head lights. L34 (upgrade option) SLR 5000 had round headlights.

Black paint outs as per the car in your first post.

SLR5000 Decals as per car in your first post.

They also had the "TORANA" badges spaced out above the grill.

I don't think the L34 had the thin black sill like the standard SLR500 in pics directly above.

LX Torana... (1976ish to 1979ish)

I'm pretty sure this is where colour coded bumbers was introduced as an option. However, A9X DEFINATELY(!!!) had chrome bumpers.

Black outs over black bonnet - This was different between the sedans and the A9X hatchbacks... I think Black bonnets were optional gloss or satin too... seen both on original cars anyway. SLR5000 on rear spoiler (written in large letters all the way across)... Sometimes black and sometimes silver. No blackout between rear spoiler and bumper... except SS (Not on A9X option as A9X hatch didn't have blackouts on the back).

Optional SLR5000 written along sills of sedans - This was not an option on the A9X toranas. I'm pretty sure the small SLR 5000 decals on front guards deleted from LH model (I may be wrong on this... definately wasn't on A9X sedans).

Badges on LH above guard were deleted and replaced with the "Torana" decal offset to passenger side.

My linkwww.a9xclub.org.au/

Should be some original A9X and L34 cars in their gallery. Their is a lime green L34 (LH) with "No.64" on the door and a white L34 (no black bonnet just bonnet stripes). Many other A9x toranas though... you can see difference between A9X hatch and sedan bonnet black outs there. Black on sedans ran lower over front guards and ran around side windows... hatches didn't. Having said that, If I had a hatch (not orig A9X), I would paint blackouts like the sedan as it looks better in my opinion.

My linkwww.gmh-torana.com.au ... for all your torana needs. :D

Edited by Captain

Thanks lads. I knew I could count on you lot to get it all straight.

That orange one in Kenny's brochure is the colour of my brother's first T'rana. I don't remember the black sill and I remember his as having round headlights, but memories are frequently incorrect. I do also recall he had the 'bolt on bits' as I called them at the time in a feeble attempt stir him up. I'll admit, it was a rather impressive car when I was a little kid. Particularly given that biggest brother was driving around in a '63 Datto Bluebird wagon.

I've used an orange with a bit more bling (actually a lot more) for the repaint, but it does quite suit the car.

Now that I know for sure what it should look like I can finally do something about finishing off the rear end of the car.

Again, thanks everyone.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg