Hi Guys

~KevJ~

hey all just wanting to say hi and thankyou for the forum and info already there for me to read and for any questions and help i may receive in the future :)

i had scalextric years ago (1st set was the green dick johnson/mobile brock sierra's) used to love the thing until my older brother took the track to his mates house to form a big communal track and i never saw it again. here i am years later and my son turns 7 in september and recently went to a birthday party at an amf bowling where they had a permanent slot car track, anyways he has fallin in love and ive convinced my wife my son has to have a race track at home. (ive assured her im not reliving memories but just between you and me im loving it)

so i come to my first question to the forum (and please if anyone knows of this being covered b4 please post a link or point me in the right direction to some current info on it, im happy to read anything rather than ask you to repost.)

where do i start..

my thought process is to buy a scalextric digital set so that im on current technology straight away , i believe scalextric is for me because the better brands are going to be more expensive and harder for me to access lots of cars and track etc, especially since the track is for my son and i and hes young so im thinking he will be alittle rough with it. id love to wait for the new platinum 6 car set but its out of my price range and so is the gt set.. that leaves me with lane change set, triple cup set or an analogue bathurst set(which would give me more track)..

i spoke to hobbyco at rhodes today and they are selling the triple cup set for $389 atm (best i had seen it is $469, do you guys agree this would be the best set for me to buy as you get the addition pit lane track sections and pit lane game over the simple lane change set for $299?

or do you think i should just go for the analogue bathurst set?

any info appreciated and thankyou again to the forum :)

Regards Kev

Hi Kev. Welcome. I think you've just told a tale many can match.

Might be worth buying analogue gear first to make sure everyone's going to stick with the plan. Can always add the digital bits later, either with a set or individual pieces. I'd go for the set with the most track in it. Unfortunately most of the Scaley sets come with only R2 and a few R1 corners. So, you'll have to buy R3 and R4s separately to keep things interesting.

Not running digital myself. Always planned the upgrade but there's only two of us using it most of the time so it's not worth the investment for me.

Enjoy poking around in the archives. Lots of fun stuff there to read. And enjoy the addiction.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Kev,

I'd get one of the V8 sets, you'll get plenty of track and a couple of V8. The V8's are impact resistent so you and the kids can smash them around, the cars are readily available. The sets cost around $199 for a basic figure 8 and an extended track set is $299, if you shop around you'll probably be able to get a few $$$ off of these. I'd spend any money saved on R3 and R4's with borders as they'll make the driving experience far better. A full 180 degree R3 or R4 with borders/barriers inside and out will cost you close to $100, inside borders probably aren't required.

If you then enjoy and want to upgrade to digital you can get yourself the Advanced Power Base and use the existing track from the V8 sets + any R3's and R4's. At that point you'll be well on your way and you can start thinking about pit-lanes, Race Management etc.

BTW - buy yourself a can of INOX from jaycar as it'll provide invaluable regardless of the set you buy.

Cheers

Mark

ok thats good info guys,

inox corrosion inhibitor, i guess to protect the track.. good tip.

now analogue seems to be the general consensus for a first kit, thats thrown me abit as my son was keen on the lane changing since he saw the youtube videos, i was under the impression that the scalextric standard track is interchangeable so i was thinking i could pick up a cheap analogue set off ebay to boost the track length and that having the digital to start with was going to be better, i cant see me needing 6 on track but regularly wanting 3 at least with my daughter in the picture also.. hmm more to think about..

other than the short track length was there a main reason ppl would advise analogue? ie is there something bad about it? if its to do with having to add chips to cars etc that doesnt phase me as ive previously dabbled with a friends dcc train layout which im sure is very similar and im heavily into electric rc planes so wiring / soldering isnt a concern either.. budget is 400 for initial set

gref im in quakers hill sydney.. :)

Edited by ~KevJ~

Go digital if you want because it will be you and your son driving on it and so long as you are having fun thats all that matters.

i said go analog because if your on a budget, analog will give you more bang for your buck, and if you have more track your more likey to keep changing the layout and keep the little one entertained for longer.

also if you want to start buying more cars you will need to buy a chip for them.

Of course digi has had it problems, check out the digi section of the forum

Love,

Kai smileyhawk.jpg

Yep, more track, more track changes, more fun. Digital can be done easily to what you get with analogue no worries. I'm looking at a "Thundering V8'S" set on ebay right now, 9.2m of analogue track, new for $314.95, thats including postage. It's from Perth but it sounds a bit cheaper. Does anyone else think thats an ok price for that? Could get you on your way with some slotting action. Oh yeah, its not mine either, just realized it sounds like I'm going for a sale! :o:unsure: Just wanted to give a hand.

KevJ,

You could pickup a 4-car digital PB on eBay relatively cheaply and simply add that to your analogue set and then simply purchase a couple of lane changers. The problem with the 4-car digital PB is that it doesn't do lap times and it can't connect to an RMS. Adding lap counting and an RMS just takes it to another level.

Have a search on eBay, if you can't find anything and your set on digital then simply buy one of the digital sets with the 4-car PB. The power warts for the 4-car PB work with the 6-car APB and will save you a bit of $$$. The real advantage of the 6-car APB is the dual lane analogue (4-car PB has no analogue). You can then race your digital and non-digital cars. You'll find chipping a range of cars can quickly add up, particularly with the lane changers and persons of a younger age - the outcome will be lots of damage to cars. I'll admit it's an absolute blast with digital and the kids simply love smashing the cars, more so than driving around trying to beat lap records.

So in summary, if you can find a cheap 4-car PB then pick one up and grab an analogue set for the track, you can then run in both digital and analogue and reap the benefits of both. If one or the other take your fancy or both and interest remains for you and your kid(s), then get yourself the APB which has all the bells and whistles (if you haven't already decided to build your own wooden track).

My 2 cents...

Mark

Hey Kev. Welcome to the mad house. One option for those on a budget is to build your own. May pay for you to look at the routed home tracks as well. If you can imagine being able to use a router, you'll find you can. This will allow you to have 3 or more lanes and if you want to convert to digital later, you can always install the Scorpius system later. This can also allow you to sneak more bits past the accountant over time. ;)

Stu

Old racers race harder

• 3 weeks later...

just to update, I did have a read up on the build your own way but i just felt i wasn't ready for that sort of commitment off the bat and i have seen some pretty cool standard track setups...

anyway we are in :) , ive picked up a triple cup set from hobbyco at rhodes on special for $389 and my son has his first add on car wrapped up with it for his brthday on the 20th, his pop went down to visit mr armchair racer the other day and picked the little guy up part#c2774 gt500 hes in love with :)

its funny im looking forward to my sons birthday as if its mine :)

And so the grand adventure begins. :D Sounds like the 20th will be a day to remember.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction