Stripping Paint

lenny broke

Hi all

I'm going to give my old Zsara rally car a birthday before I send it off to this years Rally Proxy.

When I strip an original paint job I sit the shell in a bath of Metho and let it soften the paint before scrubing it off with a plastic scourer.

I have previously sprayed the shell with Tamiya rattle can paints for plastic, so can I use the above method to remove the tamiya paint.

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

How long do you need to soak it for and does it make the plastic brittle ?

I used methanol ( by product of distilling alcohol ) on a car chassis once and it made the chassis brittle. Had very little flex and bits broke off easy.

Hi Lenny,

The answer is yes, at least I've done it on a few cars in the past. You will need to use more elbow grease and maybe a jex pad though, and it does take longer than say a scaley paint job, i wouldn't even touch the body until about three hours and after an initial rough up probably another hour or two before really attacking it. I've redone a few of my own liveries that i buggered up (including the corvette i posted pics of last week) and haven't had issues with the plastic becoming brittle, or for that matter no issue with glue joins, epoxy putty mods or styrene sheet. Of course the thicker the paint the longer the job.

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

Thanks mannimal, I'll get onto that tonight.

Slo1, usually 15 to 20 minutes on SCX paint and tampos. it usually starts to soften up and you can satrt scubbing with a plastic scourer. it I get a tough patch l'll drop it back in the metho again.

• 1 month later...

I use caustic soda.

me too

What is your mix guys? That is: strength of the mixture.

I usually have my caustic with a dash of tonic water, good for clearing the sinuses.

Edited by Bulsara

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto.

My poor Krell!

After a million years of shining sanity...

they could hardly have understood what power was destroying them.

I use caustic soda.

me too

I usually have my caustic with a dash of tonic water, good for clearing the sinuses.

I use a brand called Mechanix and usually get it at Safeway/Woolworths. Directions on the label.

Alan Stubbings

I use caustic soda.

me too

I use a brand called Mechanix and usually get it at Safeway/Woolworths. Directions on the label.

Thanks Stubbo.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto.

My poor Krell!

After a million years of shining sanity...

they could hardly have understood what power was destroying them.

I thought I'd go down the caustic soda route, what strength and for how long please, soak or scrub....

I use a cap full of soda to about a litre of water in an old ice cream container. Let it soak for ten minutes or so 'till the paint starts to lift, then put on some gloves and use an old toothbrush to scrub off the paint, then rince under the tap. If it's really stuck on you may have to repeat.

I actually removed Humbrol enamel paint of a vac. formed F5000 body in caustic with no ill effect on the plastic.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Late Model

I thought I'd go down the caustic soda route, what strength and for how long please, soak or scrub....

I use a cap full of soda to about a litre of water in an old ice cream container. Let it soak for ten minutes or so 'till the paint starts to lift, then put on some gloves and use an old toothbrush to scrub off the paint, then rince under the tap. If it's really stuck on you may have to repeat.

I actually removed Humbrol enamel paint of a vac. formed F5000 body in caustic with no ill effect on the plastic.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

What he said.

I have forgotten about it sometimes and left things soaking for over a week. Not reccommended but no problems far.

Be careful if you use a coloured toothbrush. Sometimes the caustic will cause the colour of the brushhead to fade and then your wife will find out you used her toothbrush.

Alan Stubbings