SlotsNZ

New Zealand 1/32 Club Racing

Thanks for posting the results Mark.

Had a great weekend, was nice to meet you all and you guys certainly have some quick cars.

Mine were seriously lacking in getting the power to the ground. My tuning department have since been sacked!!

It was a great shame that Craig did not get to compete as his cars were awesome and I am sure he would have been at the sharp end of the results.

Very disappointed at the turn out for our Nationals. The numbers seem to be dwindling each year and this needs to be addressed for it to be a continuing success.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

I shall now bore you with my race by race performances.

NASCAR

First up the virtually box standard Scalextric Nascar.

Armed with Jimmie Johnson's No48 Lowes rocket that was purchased especially for this event.

Car prep;

lightly sanded rear tyres. I notice that you can't sand sidewinder tyres down too much as the spur gear hits the track, go online and order some more tyres!!!

Qualified in 11th place, slightly disappointed to be 1.52 seonds off pole sitter, Chris Dillon and his well sorted car (lol).

Race;

On the start line for my 1st race in many a year and my hands were perspiring. The countdown began and I wasn't sure if the power was on or not so finger was well off the trigger on my cheap and cheerful Professor Motor controller.

Go go go!!!

My race plan was simple, "Don't take anyone out on the 1st corner" This worked well coz I was last away and managed to pass a couple of "1st corner heroes" who were being placed back on the track by the ever present marshalls.

Finished 3rd out of 5 in my heat and a very pleasing 7th overall.

My slot car driving skills were still present but lack of grip and an average motor were good indicators that I was in for a long day battling the tailend Charlies (no pun intended Mr Le Breton!!!)

Onto the next race, Slot It group C.

I was looking forward to this class as my 956 Gulf Porsche is my favourite car in my collection.

car prep;

Again virtually box standard rules.

I was running Slot it F22's on the rear (should have been N22's but I glued the wrong set on!!!).

Qualified 12th out of 14. Not good, again some 1.7 secs off poleman Chris Dillon and his well sorted car (again lol).

Race;

Sussed out that the power was dead at the start so trigger depressed hard ready for green light.

My best driving of the day. Starting to relax in the midst of battle and won the heat.

I recorded the 2nd slowest fastest lap (?) on my way to a very pleasing 8th overall.

Being a newbie I didn't even have a "sticky tape board" so by the last segment my car was doing a good rendition of "Bolero on ice".

Edited by branco

Race 3 was the turn of the Ninco Classics.

Car prep;

Jaguar XK120 bought just for the day.

Sanded tyres and lead behind front axle.

Qualified 8th, 0.85 behind polesitter, Gil Andrews with his well sorted car (lol).

Race;

This was going to be a close run class as all cars were pretty even.

A couple of silly "offs" thru lack of concentration spoilt an otherwise good battle.

8th place overall was great but this time my fastest lap was the slowest in the class.

Only 8 laps covered the field after 18 minutes of racing, now thats what the large crowd came to see!!

No problem there Branco. I was dreadful. Over last few years seem to have gone from Best to Worst in the West. Glad I was able to provide you with some competition. A past podium finish at Nats is a distant memory.

Most of my cars were average to good but I certainly tested the marshals patience.

There is always tomorrow. Had a good time at Perth club nite recently so not all is lost.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Edited by charlesx

Class 4 was now the turn of American muscle and a chance for the modifiers to show what they can produce.

Car prep;

Scalextric Camaro fitted with 20k Scaley motor, Paul Gage tyres and some lead.

I admit to not being equipped as yet to tune cars sufficiently but as I was making the long journey to Wellington I thought that I should enter all 5 classes and I do enjoy driving my Camaro.

Qualifying did not go too well. My Camaro stopped halfway round the circuit on its 1st lap. I was informed that it was probably a lead wire come loose. I stripped car down but found no problem. Used the pre race warm up to test car and it ran fine.

Congrats to John Mac for pole position with his own well prepped car.

Race;

Really enjoyed driving this car as it had plenty of grunt, unfortunately it had no grip so it was sideways even down the straights.

I was maitaining a good position in my heat until an over zealous piece of marshalling popped my rear axle. (now these things happen in racing and it was an unfortunate accident, the marshall did the best he could and at the end of the day I shouldn't have crashed).

I didn't realise for 2 laps that the axle had popped and then I lost a few more laps fixing the problem.

Still managed to finish in 9th place.

Quite an ensemble of different cars in this class which produced some good racing. Chris Wong was going great guns until a malfunction put paid to his podium chances.

The last Hurrah!!

Class 5, the GT's

Car Prep;

Now with such a large array of weapons to choose from in this class I settled for a Nissan R390 from Slot It.

I had studied all the pro's and con's of which car to get for this class but the overwhelming factor was "$40 brand new on Trademe".

Fitted with a 25k Slot It motor and NSR Ultragrips.

Qualifying was my slowest in class yet and had the whole field in front of me. I just couldn't get the tyres to hook up and this was costing me big time out of the corners.

Keith Cheeseman had pole a full half a second clear of the next best in his well sorted car (okay last time lol)

Race;

I drove round and round but was not competitive at all but didn't finish last.

I thought that Paul Le Breton had the best drive of the day to take 2nd place overall.

Good to hear that you had a good time in Oz Chas.

Really enjoyed meeting you guys in Wellington and thanks for your valuable tuning tips.

In fact everybody was so helpful with giving advice on how to improve my cars performance.

Mark you need to organise a team for the 1/32 12 hour enduro. I'll help you tune a car if you need one.

5 x National Champion

2 x National Enduro Champion

2 x HBMRC V8 Supercar Enduro Champion

Have to agre with Branco, re Paul's drive.

That was a superb drive by Paul LeBretton's, He drove that car like a champion from start to the finish, not letting up anywhere.

Paul's driving has really come on over the last couple of years making him a front runner.

Watch this man, there is more to come.

When and where is it being held Craig?

Mark the enduro is on the 24th of August at the Wellington track. Teams of 4+ driving 30 minute sessions at a time. There will be 3 hours of darkness so each car needs a light kit installed. Class of car is Slot.it Group C. It's a great teams event, if you can't arrange a team you will be welcome in any one of the other teams. Hoping for 6 teams of 4+.

5 x National Champion

2 x National Enduro Champion

2 x HBMRC V8 Supercar Enduro Champion

Cheers Craig I'll see what I can come up with over the next 2 months.

On the heels of the Wellington guys sticking there hands up, I thought I'd share something about the Nelson club as they are not on forum

Led by some old hands from the 70s, they have added a couple of newbies recently, including a father and his sons; have a 2 lane and a 3 lane routed track, used alternate weeks.

nelson%20(1).jpgnelson%20(2).jpg

nelson%20(3).jpgnelson%20(4).jpg

If anyone else in the area reads this and wants to join them, holler to me and I'll put you in touch with Tony and the guys.

There is lots of old hand car building skills, but they're keeping it pretty social and friendly.

Rubbered up.

Classes

• Unrestricted Cars (any hard body car which may be freely modified including mix/match motors, chassis changes etc)

National Rule General Specs:

• Saloon Car Restricted (any hard top body excludes sports cars)
  • Sports Car Restricted (any open or hard top sports car)
  • Pre’70 Car Restricted (only treaded tyres 9mm max width, or slicks 7mm max width permitted)

yea as always i am keen to find out more.

i hope they race at weekends.

ANNOUNCEMENT

DO join the new Facebook group called "New Zealand Slot Racers"

http://www.facebook....01677539979478/

The idea is a slot community where you can share your own club or race group info., pics of your cars, custom builds of cars and or tracks, ask questions, get help with problems, find out where to get hard to find stuff, meet other people. Get news about the slot world in general, see interesting stuff shared by others from around the world of slot racing - and get inspiration !!

It also enables you to share a one stop page with people on Facebook by "pushing" the information to people who you would never get to turn up here at Auslot if left to their own devices !

As if I can think ahead!!!

Got these pics from Tony.

Only a 2 laner but good fun.

nelsonclub1_zps5445cc60.jpg

nelson2_zps24cf4012.jpg

A notice from Henderson club

Hi all,

Just letting everyone know that we spent all afternoon down at the club, we had been asked at short notice if the show could use

our track at the club to do a segment on there show, in return the club name gets out to the public and also they will put our website on there

facebook page showing the segment that they have done,

The show will be on T.V this Friday night at 10pm on T.V. 3

Regards,

Erin De Graaf.

Secretary,

H.M.M.R.C

1186142_456628771111409_439838201_n.jpg

For any NZ slot racers considering a spot of historic racing over summer, I am proposing a convergence upon Hampton Downs for the FIRST week of the Ferrari Festival Friday 17th to Sunday 19th January 2014. http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/

Early bird tickets which give you all 3 days on the weekend ticket with grandstand access, are $50 prior to 1st November.

http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/135

So spread the word around slotty mates, I think it would be a great chance to see some motor racing, catch up with faces from around the country.

We may even be able to still book some accom. together in Huntly, or if not in Hamilton for those coming from south, or Pukekohe for those coming from Auckland direction.

1186142_456628771111409_439838201_n.jpg

For any NZ slot racers considering a spot of historic racing over summer, I am proposing a convergence upon Hampton Downs for the FIRST week of the Ferrari Festival Friday 17th to Sunday 19th January 2014. http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/

Early bird tickets which give you all 3 days on the weekend ticket with grandstand access, are $50 prior to 1st November.

http://www.nzfmr.co....products_id/135

So spread the word around slotty mates, I think it would be a great chance to see some motor racing, catch up with faces from around the country.

We may even be able to still book some accom. together in Huntly, or if not in Hamilton for those coming from south, or Pukekohe for those coming from Auckland direction.

I'll be there for one of those days.

Can someone let me know which wires on a PM controller go where on a jug chord connector, any help appreciated.

So many tracks in NZ have different connections and polarities!!!

Here is a summary of the tracks I have been to and their controller needs;

positive polarity & male xlr connector;

Westport(branco), Garden city racers chch

positive polarity & jug chord;

Wellington, Nelson.

negative polarity & jug chord;

Christchurch (nitro404), Nelson

negative polarity & female xlr;

Nelson, Garden city racers chch

positive polarity & female xlr;

Nelson

I will edit this post if others wish to add their tracks info.

Nelson track caters for 4 different configurations, nice.

Edited by branco

Anyone in the south island doing any racing over labour weekend?

Rumour has it that the 2014 NZ Nationals are on in Wellington starting Friday 28th February.