New Zealand 1/32 Club Racing

This area is for general notifications and admin, information about the national events etc.

General chit chat posts will be removed to a non-sticky thread in the general Club Racing Area

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Well, we sure haven't used this much have we.

The Nationals were this weekend, I don't know all the results as I had to be other places after I had tried and failed miserably in the 2 classes I entered.

Anyway, a few pics and some video.

nationals2012-1.jpg

nationals2012-2.jpg

For some reason, Munter's beloved turned up with a huge slab of chocolate cake for us all - and made him cut it up for us.

nationals2012-3.jpg

Preparing for NASCAR

nationals2012-4.jpg

First up was NASCAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKLnSWLVSV4

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

nah, munter is local, the motor home is Orakei Racer and his cousin from Auckland. They usually bring it down and park up in Kennedyrd's driveway, ya can't sleep closer to a track than 5 metres away eh!

as for those symbols, I am sworn to secrecy, - which is why I only posted one photo...... :lol:

What happen to sharing (cake that is )

Looks like a great day will we have more results ECT......

By the way I still love the track..Just something about the colour..

So more results please and photos of racing or video what ever is best for you...

Steve

Steve

ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS BEFORE OR AFTER

IS JUST WAITING RACING IS LIFE STEVE MCQUEEN

Group C

This was the last group to run, and included the 4 fastest qualifiers, all 3 podium takers were in this run. nymyre won it (black and white Toyota), but unsure which way around SlotMadMac and Keiren were for 2nd and 3rd spots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm2eXg6e-Xs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8fFBzeDa8A

A great weekend with a great vibe.

Some unbelievably fast cars. Lots of laughs. Munnnnnnntttttttter turning bright red. What else do you want?

There is no doubt that the bar has been raised significantly since last year and it was cool to see the Bay boys keep 4 out of 5 titles.

Mac

Podiums are for short people.

there was a 5 and 9 used on the cake....

95? Sheez Munter. You hide it well.

rofl_hard_smiley.gif

Belated happy birthday Munter dear.

smiley_kiss.gif

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Here you go, full results.

My best result was an eighth place, - by a visiting proxy driver using a GT car I prepped in 5 minutes (clean braids) LOL.....

Nationalsresults1.JPG

Nationalsresults2.JPG

Nationalsresults3.JPG

Thanks to Chris for organising another great weekend of competitive racing on his awesome track. Thanks also to Derek and Rob for keeping things ticking over smoothly. And of course thanks to Mark (SlotsNZ) for sponsoring some great prizes.

Was great to see how much everyone has improved. Already looking forward to next year.

Craig

5 x National Champion

2 x National Enduro Champion

2 x HBMRC V8 Supercar Enduro Champion

• 6 months later...

WHAT TYPE OF CONTROLLERS ARE USED AT THE NATIONALS?

CHEERS.

2019 NZ RTR Nationals Gt 3rd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals NSR Classic 2nd

2017 NZ RTR Nationals Group C 3rd

2017 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 NSR Classic Challenge 2nd

2014 NSR Classic Challenge 3rd

2015 Garden City Invitation Overall Champion

Hi Branco.

A fair number use the Professor Motor controller with brake and sensitivity controls. A couple use Slot-it equivilant. A number of the keener ones have various more up-market ones that they can also use with metal cars. If you only want to race RTR Hard body cars PM is hard to beat.

Do not hestitate to ask if you have any specific questions.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Thanks Chas.

I am keen to enter nats in wellington next year as not far for me to travel.

As I run digital on plastic it might be tricky to set a car up for wood but rules seem basic (which suits me!!)

Hi again Branco.

I have been to Nats three times and had only raced on plastic in this life (first life about 50 years ago in Christchurch in 60's) before first time. I have still not got anywhere near my NASCAR time from first event in last two despite later wood track experience. Other classes however have gradually improved.

As I think you race with magnets biggest hurdle will be to try racing non-magnet. Many of the Scalextric cars can be made to run quite well non magnet but you will find it a bit of a shock to start with if you have not tried previously. A PM controller would help a lot.

At home in New Plymouth we race both NASCAR and Porsche 911 GT cars as completely standard classes . Muscle cars and most GT's also go quite well and there are no doubt others.

No idea if any wood tracks in Westport or at least on Coast but non-magnet racing is most important. If not already Slot-it cars are some of the best engineered and not much dearer than Scalextric.

Send me a personal message if you wish with phone number and I will give you a ring to discuss in more detail. Alternatively look up Green Acres Slot Racing Group, New Plympouth on NZSCA or Slotraceshop web sites for my phone number.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

If you're serious about racing stay away from Professor Motor or Slot.it controllers, and go straight for a Carsteen, Difalco or Third Eye. They range in price from around $250 - $700. Since you race digital though, you may prefer the Slot.it controller as it can be used for both analog and digital (with the additional module). Personally though when I raced digital I was faster with a cheap Ninco controller than with the Slot.it controller. Professor motor is a good mid-level controller for everyday use, but there was only ever one racer who did well with a Professor Motor controller, but he would have done well with anything.

5 x National Champion

One other important point, whatever controller you use, will need to be converted to XLR plug at the least or the IEC plug (similar to jug cord). Most wood track around NZ use either or, but the Wellington track and the previous nationals track in Napier both use IEC. Most of us have adapters to convert our controllers to one or the other.

5 x National Champion

Agree with what is said about likes of Carsteen, Third Eye etc (2 of our club members have them) but they have had their problems sometimes (e.g. blown fuses). Many of these controllers certainly have lots more controls but then you still have to learn how to get the best out of them. Most of them appear to be in the plus $500 range but you might be able to get overseas or perhaps secondhand cheaper.

Professor Motor controller however is good entry level and very reliable as long as kept clean and oiled. Many of those with the more expensive options would probably do just as well with PM but have come from ranks of metal car drivers so just use the controllers they already had. Metal cars need much higher amps for racing and these controllers are especially made for them.

Had not thought of Slot-it controller being able to be used for both digital and analogue so that may be an option. Slot-it of course have their own digital system. You might need to find out more about that. They are about the same price as PM but you may need a different cartridge for digital.

Hope this is of some help. Which ever one you buy it will be far better than any Scalextric controller.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Lol $500 for a controller!!!

Since my recent return to this "hobby", technology has certainly taken a leap forward, having spent 2 g on my digital track and so forth I might just stretch to a PM controller.

I shall try and find a wood track to test my skills on.

By the way guys, if ever you are passing thru the West Coast come pay me a visit. Would be great to race against some guns.

cheers and please keepthe advice coming, I need all the help I can get.

I am certainly no gun these days but more than happy to help. Hope I am at least still competent. I am getting increasingly interested in proxy events as I do enjoy mucking about.

Agree $500 is a lot for a controller but the dearest I believe are more than twice that. They still depend on your hand to guide them though.

With PM controller there is one about $105 with no tweaks, $143 for one control only and $200 for variable brakes and sensitivity. I find the brake control invaluable as with non-magnet cars motor braking can vary quite markedly. If you are electronically minded you can add a brake control to one of cheaper models. One of our members have done that.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

• 4 months later...