Nascar Mjk

Jerimiah83

My entry for the xtreme trax thursday night MJK NASCAR series is finally completed. Just in time for the final round of the series tonight. Reasonably happy with how this worked out, only disappointment is the red decalling on the front. Have no idea how i could have managed it better, but one decal piece being applied to about 4/5 different contours just ends in bubbles.

Happy with the blue base, seems to work really well.

P1010410.jpg

Finished product

P1010437.jpg

P1010441.jpg

Time to go racing.

Cheers Jason

• 2 years later...
Guest jazzbell

Love this car Jason.

If any of you guys want to sell any of your spare Nascars,or don't mind building them to sell ,some guys at my club are interested .

Regards shane a

Team thunderbird

Guest jazzbell

Great looking car but pity you have had to hack front guard. Should front wheels not be centred on guard.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Chas I'd think the cars just sitting on top for the photo.Not mounted.

Regards shane a

Team thunderbird

When I built this car 2 years ago it was my first crack at a MJK dog bone chassis. They are the Xtreme trax 1/24 house class, and by no means any easy car to build. The slightest imperfection and you can easily be 8/10th of a second off the pace. Mounting body is a bit of a dark art, like most slot cars it seems, but perseverance is a key ingredient. And of course the body style is all important with older thunderbird and Pontiac seeming to be the way to go. Jim and Cam have built some weapons of late, I'm sure you'd agree Shane, and even the new surface has added speed to all the cars.

The body in pic hadn't been mounted at the time Charles, it was more of a look at my car pic. I love my NASCAR racing and have quiet a few models that I have painted, most of which have never seen a chassis. Should be interesting to see these cars at MCN next June in Dapto, carnage is on the cards from plenty of door rubbin!

Cheers Jason

Guest jazzbell

Jim and Cam have built some weapons of late, I'm sure you'd agree Shane, and even the new surface has added speed to all the cars.

Should be interesting to see these cars at MCN next June in Dapto, carnage is on the cards from plenty of door rubbin!

Cheers Jason

The 2 i had built from jimmy look awesome and run fast, love the wheels on these cars. Nothing to look at when you turn them over,chassis looks like a roller skate on wheels.

Some shots from the past. Dapto 2009.

These were concourse winners,guy from Adelaide won.Dapto027_zps13b402fc.jpg

Dapto026_zps8eedd04d.jpg

remember any builds can be done or any for sale let us know.

regards shane a

team thunderbird

Great seeing all these NASCAR slotcar pics... A few years ago when I had a track in Toowoomba I was lamenting the fact the shop only had room for one eight lane track. I had a great bunch of club racers but was always turning rental customers away, especially Saturday afternoons at 4pm when we ran our very popular Sedan/ Nascar races.

One day I discovered an extra 120 m2 of shop space I was paying rent for I did'nt know I even had. it was there, looking at me every day and I did'nt see it.

All I had to do was attach a 4 lane track to the inside perimeter walls of the shop above all the stuff attached to the walls.. The shop was a perfect shape to build a NASCAR Tri-oval. Sure, in some parts the track would climb up to 2 meters above doorways (Imagine, walking into the shop and nascars wizzing around overhead - I was thinking clear track surface above entrance door) but generally the track up high could also go over the the coke machine pit benches and sales counter. The drivers would stand on a raised podium to drive from. I thought of narrowing the lane centres on the turns, disconnecting the brake wire to smooth things out so its real nose to tail racing with no sudden surprises and winding up the volts and lowering the amps so you really had to keep up momentum. My recent thoughts are digital would be perfect for this kind of track and MJK cars could be ideal. Being sidewinders with all the weight to the rear and Rubber tyres, plus tall gearing these cars should really drift. So, look at your shed different next time.. you might have a track up there!

Edited by axman

Hi Kim

Our Nascars have had a 2 month break while we tuned up for the APC but make their comeback this Thursday & we are all looking forward to their lack of traction tail out drifts.

Unfortunately ever since we put a gloss finish on the Pitstop track they are doing faster lap times but the tail used to get out 45 degrees & you could still save it,now it's 10 degrees & it lets go with little chance to pull it back into line.

Their still good fun but much better on Ferrodore,in the next few months we'll experiment with the set up & i'm sure we'll get them to be a bit more well behaved.

Cam has got about 6 set up on his track using Ricks Scorpious digital set up & they are a blast,flat out down the straight 2" off the car in fronts tail & then you change lanes on him & try to pass,nah stuff that just keep tailgating until somone gets the breaking wrong & we all end up in the kitty litter.

Here's a pic of the Southern 300 field that we ran a couple of years ago,3 different tracks & 300 laps.

Workcovermedicalcert009.jpg

A couple of T Birds I did for some mates

MyNascars2011013_zps0ce8317a.jpg

Here's one I did for Shane showing the 3 main elements,zoom in on the drivers head in the interiour & you'll see a pic of Shane that I got off one of his trophy presentations.

MjkNascar2012003_zps7b299e2a.jpg

3 of my favourites

Nascartestpicsx2003_zpsc5597e33.jpg

Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Great looking cars Jimmy.. I'm not normally a ferradore fan but I think its perfect for this class. I think a big speedway with lots of tyre dust is what the spirit of these cars are all about. Love the idea of these cars nose to tail on a big speedway... That cant be Shane in that suit.. he's sitting still!

Edited by axman

In the V8 class we run at T-Birds , I use a 1/32nd scale MJK chassis underneath a Scaley V8 body . I've spent more time on this car than any other car I've ever owned , the issue I have at the moment is setting up the guide .

Jimmy - I notice in the Nascar chassis pic of Shanes car , you run what looks like small lengths of Ninco wire from the guide over the axle . Is the idea of running the thicker gauge wire to help keep your guide straight when you deslot ? .

The Nascar liveries look great by the way .

Cheers....Kev W

Edited by willowone

Auslot%20strap_zps3mobysvo.jpg

Browse through my albums:https://www.facebook...kevwilsondesign

In the V8 class we run at T-Birds , I use a 1/32nd scale MJK chassis underneath a Scaley V8 body . I've spent more time on this car than any other car I've ever owned , the issue I have at the moment is setting up the guide .

Jimmy - I notice in the Nascar chassis pic of Shanes car , you run what looks like small lengths of Ninco wire from the guide over the axle . Is the idea of running the thicker gauge wire to help keep your guide straight when you deslot ? .

The Nascar liveries look great by the way .

Cheers....Kev W

Hi Kev

When I first started in slot cars 20 + years ago one of the first things I was taught was to get the guide to self centre.

This was done by using the Lead wire as a spring & all different gauges of wire were experimented with & also wire configurations.

On Shane's car the lead wire is over the front axel to stop it touching & washing off speed,When that one was built I only used heavy gauge wire at the front & the standard motor wire left untouched,the theory behind that is to keep the heat away from the motor brushes which are on the inside of the motor tabs,any excess heat could alter the tension of the motor springs.

I've also got a couple of MJK 1/32nd cars & they were a lot of work to get right but the 1/24th dogbone is one of the simplest chassis to set up.

Later on down the track Cam & I will do a Shane & do a step by step Nascar build giving away all our secrets. :D

Cheers Jimmy :D

To finsh first,first you gotta finish

Thanks Jimmy . Yeah I've always run my wiring through the middle of the chassis and never had a problem with the guide self centring , until I built this chassis :angry: . I'm still running the standard gauge wire so I'll change it to something similar to the Nascar setup and see how that goes .

As someone with limited experience in setting up 1/24th scale cars , I look forward to seeing your Nascar builds :)

Kev W

Auslot%20strap_zps3mobysvo.jpg

Browse through my albums:https://www.facebook...kevwilsondesign