dangermouse

Digital Routed Race Day

Hello all

Well I have read a bit on the forums about digital racing and tried it out on Scalextric track a couple of times, but today I had a few races on Johnsxr8's routed digital track up north of Brisbane.

John has a great track - he has posted a thread on it in the track section. John had a race day today, I am sure he will post up some info on it. The main class was V8s, which I watched. We also race some Nascars and some muscle cars.

My first impressions - very impressive on wood - racing was fast and fun, there were a few crashes with the newer racers but the racing in the A Div final was pretty sweet and the action was nice and tight. The site of 6 cars line up on a grid making a dash to the first corner was pretty cool.

My thoughts on digital racing - different to the analog 4 lane racing I am used to. 6 cars streaming around the track all in the one lane or chopping and changing lanes it was an impressive sight -at one stage I had one car in front of me and one behind and all 3 of us in the same lane - a neat overtake and suddenly I was chasing two cars :)

The racing was smooth and quite exciting - similar challenges to what I am used to with back markers and overtaking - you still need to watch for one and pick your moment for the other - but the option to scoot past is something I need to master - I did find myself mostly in the one lane as I needed to get used to the lane change process.

I read on a lot of discussion on the OS forums being pro or anti this or that when it comes to digital racing, I can't really see why - both analog and digital are a lot of fun, both have pluses and minuses. I will be back to race again.

low quality phone video of the V8 race :

cheers

DM

Edited by gazza

Great Post DM glad you had fun today and we look forward to seeing you at future events, i have just posted results from todays V8's in the Club results thread. I also admit that i still enjoy my non digital racing and am looking forward to participating in the Teams enduro at Red Racer in a months time :)

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

I am only a casual racer - I would say I enjoy other parts of the hobby as much if not more than racing - but up until yesterday any racing I had done was on analog. As I drove home I thought a bit about the digital racing - would I want a digital track - yeah I think I would - would it replace my analog track - no don't think so - for starters I can't see myself chipping all my cars - so I would need a hybrid track - so would it be worth it? - I think so - if I was building a track today I would give a lot more consideration to digital than I did a few years ago when I got back into slot cars. So now my dreams of a new track have to included digital :) - and a raid and rally...

I can see the appeal of digital and hope over the next few years the manufactures do as well and they work towards making it more compatible and better.

DM

So now my dreams of a new track have to included digital :) - and a raid and rally...

I can see the appeal of digital and hope over the next few years the manufactures do as well and they work towards making it more compatible and better.

DM

I've often thought of including a rally track infield, just need some pit entry/exit bits to join it up to the main track, and include the loop in a race now and then, just to make it even more interesting.

"S#!t Happens"

My current track is against a wall - I visualise a rally track that goes of the main track along the wall - and then drops back down into the middle. I will make a spiral like rallyp's (I posted about it on the forum) to get up to the section that runs along the wall. In the other dream layout - I remove the wall and make a big track like John's with a rally section in the middle I found a track on the net that had an oval with a rally cross section I will post a link if I can find it again.

cheers

David

so I would need a hybrid track - so would it be worth it? - I think so - if I was building a track today I would give a lot more consideration to digital than I did a few years ago when I got back into slot cars. So now my dreams of a new track have to included digital :) - and a raid and rally...

I am about to start planning my next track, probably 3 lane analogue combined with 2 to 3 lane digital, designed for 1/24 racing. I would love to get some 1/24 plafits & MJK's running around in digital, i've tested a Fox motor in a MJK Nascar and haven't had any issues with chips so far. I think Cheetahs would be pushing the frendship though, maybe twin chips could work. Does anyone know how many amps a Cheetah pulls?

Hoo Roo

... maybe twin chips could work.

What exactly do you mean?

You can't 'gang up' the chips in the cars, by connecting two in parallel. The motor speed is governed not by resistance, but by 'chopping up' the power being sent to the motor (using PWM - Pulse Width Modulation) Since the two chips, will not and can not be synchronised, this means they may fight against each other (especially when triggering braking) and also that the expected functionality will not occur. It may also pop some driver transistors.

But if you meant something else, then ignore eveything I've said. :)

Ian

Edited by MIH

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

I know years ago, Rick from Scorpius mucked around with twin chip mods for scaley digital that I think he got working. I cant remember the details, maybe he can clarify.

I'm thinking along the lines of Scorpius...again I don't know if it is possible.

Either way, I'd love to be able to run a 1/24 digital Plafit (or MJK), Cheetah powered, on a big wood track....quite possibly slot racing nirvana.

- Cam

Hoo Roo

... maybe twin chips could work.

You can't 'gang up' the chips in the cars, by connecting two in parallel. The motor speed is governed not by resistance, but by 'chopping up' the power being sent to the motor (using PWM - Pulse Width Modulation) Since the two chips, will not and can not be synchronised, this means they may fight against each other (especially when triggering braking) and also that the expected functionality will not occur. It may also pop some driver transistors.

But if you meant something else, then ignore eveything I've said. :)

Ian

As Camber says its been done successfully years ago. Try it :)

I chipped 6 cars this way, 4 survived. Not the most elegant solution but was able to run 35K motors at 18V with magnet, no issues.

Wow just seen the test again, 27V!

I remember taking one to 30V once, didnt blow....

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Alternately you could look at chips with upgraded diodes. Those by gmeyers have been tested with motors up to 30k. I have one which I want to use with a 25k motor. It gives a measurable improvement with a standard scaley 18k motor.

I chipped 6 cars this way, 4 survived. Not the most elegant solution but was able to run 35K motors at 18V with magnet, no issues.

Rick

ok. So it worked. The capacitor on the chip (the big silver thing) is rated at 16 volts. As the voltage is increased above this, the ability of the capacitor to work properly decreases and internal arc-over increases. When these explode, the inside of you car will be showered with foul white gunk and spill fine pieces of aluminium throughout the inside of the car and probably through the motor if its running. And thats just one of the risks of over-voltage.

The best answer is up-rated chip. Used to be supplied by Slot-it, but seem to have dried up. For those with soldering skills, replacing the 4 diodes with Schottkey ones at a higher rating adds another 10% to top speed. Replacing the main driver transistor with a 3amp device gives more power to the motor. All this is cheaper than 2 chips. But arguably harder for those who dont (or can't) solder.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

Rick

ok. So it worked. The capacitor on the chip (the big silver thing) is rated at 16 volts. As the voltage is increased above this, the ability of the capacitor to work properly decreases and internal arc-over increases. When these explode, the inside of you car will be showered with foul white gunk and spill fine pieces of aluminium throughout the inside of the car and probably through the motor if its running. And thats just one of the risks of over-voltage.

The best answer is up-rated chip. Used to be supplied by Slot-it, but seem to have dried up. For those with soldering skills, replacing the 4 diodes with Schottkey ones at a higher rating adds another 10% to top speed. Replacing the main driver transistor with a 3amp device gives more power to the motor. All this is cheaper than 2 chips. But arguably harder for those who dont (or can't) solder.

Ian

They only popped a few transistors, no white gunk :)

At the time no one was offering to upgrade chips locally so that was my only choice. 2 chips is of course more expensive but at the time cheaper than using just one chip and blowing it. Plus I didnt want to have to wait and pay postage etc.

Seeing I took it extreme voltages 18V is actually mild. Never blown an SSD chip or a capacitor through excessive voltages, only excessive loads, ie big motors.

Its good to know if the shops just shut and you just want to chip one "big motor" car. But as I mentioned only a 66% reliability rate.

Rick

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Back on topic :)

John has another race day coming up this weekend - so if you are into V8 digital racing and live in or near north Brisbane PM him for details

cheers

DM