Diamo Stages

rsclio

Well I finally have something worth posting

Progress is coming along on the single lane rally track

11m lane length a dizzy 400mm at the top of the mountain

I'm happy with the layout although my routing was a little shaky using a bit of hose for a guide. Although it's a rally stage right so the roads aren't supposed to be perfect

I'll post up pics tonight when I work out how!

Cheers

Mike

Diamo Stages

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like it will be a power of fun to landscape up and drive. Look forward to the progress pics.

ps, a belated welcome aboard

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Off to ripper start Mike!!! Welcome to the mad house!

Looks like you'll be going with copper tape? There's a stained glass outlet in Thomastown... I'll get the details if you need them.

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

The track looks great , can I make one tiny suggestion .

At the lowest part of the track layout try to make it so you can add to the track length there in the future , I had a rally track and it was ok but after a while I wanted more . If you can make it so that lowest part of the track is a clip on section you could extend it further and add another table section to it in a straight length or at 90 degrees if you like .

Wow! Nice start you've made on that track. Most impressive.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

BMR,

I think I'll leave it but leave the low end with minimal scenery so I can add on without too much trouble- At the moment the space I have for this is limited to the 1 board

Phil,

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'll worry about getting it running 1st !

I have tried SRM on the placy track so will use this

Cheers

Mike

Diamo Stages

Power is now on Temporarily at least

I'm just using an SCX power box and controller at the moment

I think I'll stick with this power source for now but where can can I get and what do I call the mounted plug tops for the drivers stations?

I'll probably get a econo parma to give some brakes a go

Also set up SRM timing did a few quick laps and the Ninco clio got a 10.2 while the MSC RS200 got a 9.9 but quite a bit more in both though

I took a bit of vid but left the camera cord at work so that will have to wait.

The 1st 3 switchbacks are pretty tricky with the 3rd one being the undoing of many cars.

I'm wondering if I should alter this corner

It comes up then flattens out and turns at the same time

Cars with the guide set well forward of the front axle simply deslot asthe guide almost exits the slot and then turn begins

I'll post some pics and the vid tomorrow.

For the cars that suit it a lot of fun though

Cheers

Mike

Diamo Stages

Power is now on Temporarily at least

Work will now slow BUT plenty of laps will be run "testing" instead of working!

yup your onto him Phil , work slows for sure once there is power and a controller in place

GDay Mike , have you tried the cars with the front tyres off through that third corner , it may be that the angles make the car ride on its wheels a bit too much and lift the guide up away from the slot , if they go through with no front tyres you have a bit of an answer to the problem , then its a choice to either modify the track or sort out the cars front end a little better .

Edited by BMR

Without R&D we would be nowhere!!!

Actually progress will not slow too much- single lane and 2 sons means I am usually left empty handed!

BMR

I've set up the Avant Evo with it resting on the guide but yet to test

It goes against the grain a little lifting the front tyres off the deck on a 4wd car

Still learning about tuning though

Speaking of the Avant Slot EvoX the front pulley is smaller than the rear so the front wheels are going faster.

anyone know the reasoning behind this?

All the other 4wd cars we have are 1:1 front to rear

Edited by rsclio

Cheers

Mike

Diamo Stages

Speaking of the Avant Slot EvoX the front pulley is smaller than the rear so the front wheels are going faster.

Not an expert but from what ive read its to get better pull out of the corner. The front wheels dont do much on the straight so by gearing the front up, the front wheels should create more pull when the load is on the outside while a car is cornering. Clear as mud :blink:

Looking forward to updates.... (or are to too busy patching all those spare tubes hanging off the set of weights? :lol: )

Some slot (and MTB) vids NOW SHOWING

I actually used 9 mm as I'm not patient enough to bend over a few days. I had no real difficulty doing it I did pet slits on the underside of the bends at the "mountain"

Actually I don't know about this process

Do you gradually increase the amount on bend over a couple of days?

Cheers

Mike

Diamo Stages

Not an expert but from what ive read its to get better pull out of the corner. The front wheels dont do much on the straight so by gearing the front up, the front wheels should create more pull when the load is on the outside while a car is cornering. Clear as mud :blink:

Looking forward to updates.... (or are to too busy patching all those spare tubes hanging off the set of weights? :lol: )

I had a Ninco rally car in the proxy a few years ago that was 4wd - belt driven . I set that car up with smaller front wheels so there was more weight on the flag , the overall gear ratio was different between front and rear due to the different wheel diameters but it still ran well , it was even on the top of the proxy competition ladder for a while , I fugured that it would be as Ben_M has said above - I thought at worst it would pull the front around and possibly create a bit of oversteer type handling , I also figured some of the proxy tracks may have been rough so by having the front wheels driving as well it may help the thing get over a few bumps etc if the rear wheels were not getting much drive down onto the track . It was the first rally proxy I had entered so it was all a bit of a guess but it worked out ok

I dont think it really made much difference in the end , I entered the same car in the next years proxy with no changes to it other than removing the 4wd belt , it was worn and loose so I took it out rather than risk the belt comming off during a race . The car went just as well without the 4wd working so go figure . I would hazzard a guess and say the belt slips a bit anyway . In the end I think it was the liberal amount of lead that got plonked into the chassis that made it go well on the twisty tracks . It had the NC5 motor removed and a milder NC1 ( from memory) put into it along with a gear ratio change to help it accelerate with all the ballast it had to carry .

So any more photos of the track build ? Get them lads into the painting ( water based of course so it cleans up easier ) :lol:

Ninco car I sent away for the Rally proxy

newrallycar4.jpg

newrallycar3.jpg

Thanks for the replies on 4wd guys

Made a slight change to elevations today which sloved my deslotting corner issue so I think pretty much any car can make it now

A few more pics showing some progress

IMG_4958.jpg

So I've made the straight and the 1st bit up the mountain asphalt then turning to snow for the balance of the hillclimb then 1/2 way down going to gravel.

I'm happy with the gravel and snow section grip levels but wanting a grippier surface for the asphalt.

I got a sample pot of Dulux Tuscan paint which is a textured exterior paint so see how that goes.

I don't think I can get a sample pot of Ferrodor or the like and I only have a very small section to do.

IMG_4953.jpg

The corner after the change into the snow was the one giving the problems whith the change now there is a lesser change in gradient at that corner.

IMG_4952.jpg

Further on the 4wd cars this MSC RS200 I have is a cracker of a car very smooth to drive right out of the box

Edited by rsclio

Cheers

Mike

Diamo Stages