How To Extend The Digi Hand Controller Cables

ozquad44

Gents

I've built up a Scaley digital replica Bathurst track (not really imaginative I know, but it suits me), I've got the 6 car APB, three XLC, separate pit lane, and its pretty big. It takes up a whole car bay in the garage.

Problem I have is that the leads for the hand controllers are far too short, and they all get tangled when a few people are playing. I would like to hard wire separate drive stations around the track. This will fix the tangling issue, and make marshaling a bit easier.

Scaley make lead extensions for the analogue controllers, do they work with the digi controllers as well?

If not what are my options?

Edited by ozquad44

Oz, I think they're releasing extensions for the digi controllers this year. But, as ever, the question is when.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

No, you can't use the Scalextric extensions for Analogue - the plug is different.

Use these: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Store-Stereo-Headphone-Extension/dp/B000Z0YECU/ref=pd_cp_e_0 There's also a shorter version, but not available at present. There are also cheaper equivalents on Amazon, dig around.

You'll need to pare down the plastic at the plug end slightly to get a good fit into the PB - a large pencil sharpener will achieve that.

Don't worry that these are stereo cables, they will work fine.

Ian

Edited by MIH

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

No, you can't use the Scalextric extensions for Analogue - the plug is different.

Use these: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Store-Stereo-Headphone-Extension/dp/B000Z0YECU/ref=pd_cp_e_0 There's also a shorter version, but not available at present. There are also cheaper equivalents on Amazon, dig around.

You'll need to pare down the plastic at the plug end slightly to get a good fit into the PB - a large pencil sharpener will achieve that.

Ian

Scaley released their digital extensions C7057 - I got a couple. http://www.scalextric.com/shop/pit-lane/power-and-controllers/

Or if you are using a PC then SSDC is about to support the blue tooth modules that we are testing, so go wireless the simple way.

Edited by RikoRocket

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

I just cut the plug off about 200mm from the end and added a 3m extension piece in, works great when I'm on my own and can walk to any part of my track. The only problem seems to be when you 'calibrate' the controllers on the power base, sometimes it won't let you. Ordered some cars from Armchair on monday and they said they just got the new digital extensions in.

I made a 6 person driver station, i got all the 2.5mm plugs and sockets from jaycar and used oxygen free speaker wire from the powerbase to the station, it works a treat and also stops my 3 year old son from tearing the controller plug out of the powerbase when he decides he wants to stand somewhere else, its much cheaper replacing a socket from jaycar than getting my powerbase sent back to the uk to get a controller plug fixed

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

Scaley released their digital extensions C7057 - I got a couple. http://www.scalextric.com/shop/pit-lane/power-and-controllers/

Or if you are using a PC then SSDC is about to support the blue tooth modules that we are testing, so go wireless the simple way.

What I can't understand is why the Digital cables cost about 50% more than the Analog ones....

Are we getting ripped off, I wonder...

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

Gents

I've built up a Scaley digital replica Bathurst track (not really imaginative I know, but it suits me), I've got the 6 car APB, three XLC, separate pit lane, and its pretty big. It takes up a whole car bay in the garage.

Problem I have is that the leads for the hand controllers are far too short, and they all get tangled when a few people are playing. I would like to hard wire separate drive stations around the track. This will fix the tangling issue, and make marshaling a bit easier.

Scaley make lead extensions for the analogue controllers, do they work with the digi controllers as well?

If not what are my options?

Option 1

IMG_0940.jpg

Nothing comes close.....the most advanced controller in the world, and by miles.

and this

IMG_0723.jpg

Plug'n'play. Drop your lap times by tenths. Check out the spec on the website.

Software coming very soon, just load into PC, plug in dongle, will run up to 6 Scorpius Wireless controllers on your SSD system. Just $279 for both controller and USB dongle. Additional controllers $179. Deal for 6.

Or as Riko suggested, AWallace on Slotforum is doing a budget version using SSD controllers, no price set yet, check it out.

Proudly Aussie made. Home of WiFi.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

I made a 6 person driver station, i got all the 2.5mm plugs and sockets from jaycar and used oxygen free speaker wire from the powerbase to the station, it works a treat and also stops my 3 year old son from tearing the controller plug out of the powerbase when he decides he wants to stand somewhere else, its much cheaper replacing a socket from jaycar than getting my powerbase sent back to the uk to get a controller plug fixed

Is there a maximum length you can make them before problems arise?

www.sydneyslotcars.com

Care to elaborate? Is it a module that plugs into your existing digital controller then the module talks to the pc

Sounds very interesting, can't wait............ :-)

www.sydneyslotcars.com

"Or if you are using a PC then SSDC is about to support the blue tooth modules that we are testing, so go wireless the simple way."

Care to elaborate? Is it a module that plugs into your existing digital controller then the module talks to the pc

There is no (real) restriction on length as only low voltage & current goes down the wire. This is different from analog. So you could make them as long as you want. There is a real limit, which will be based upon the type of cable.

There is a wireless solution in Beta testing which uses a Bluetooth controller, which links with the RMS PC, which then sends the car throttle details through to the Powerbase to the track. A tiny bit similar to Scorpius, but Scaley centric. Becomes most useful to those who want to run the SSDC PC software all the time.

Ian

Edited by MIH

Hi guys,

:ph34r: My first post here so be gentle. Not sure about the rules/protocol for cross-forum fertilization but a video & some details can be viewed here. Can't wait for the release ... but it won't be dirt cheap.

Edited by chris99

Small box with belt clip, includes a mini computer and blue tooth cards. PP3 battery in a accessible compartment. Plug a standard throttle in the socket and select blue tooth in SSDC. Now wander around as you please. Cost will be a little more than a car, but not much.

Of course you need a PC or laptop with blue tooth, or get a USB blue tooth adaptor.

We are testing the first six production models this weekend, so concept to solution in less than a month :D

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

• 2 months later...

Ian

hi, I was after some extension cables myself for my standard Scalextric digital controllers, and I though the Scalextric ones are a bit expensive for what they are, so after seeing this Post, I ordered a cheap £2 cable, which is 2metres long it looks the same as the one you gave the link too, the cable I purchased has 2.5mm male/female ends, but the male end has 2 black rings on and the Scalextric only uses a cable with 1 black ring, and although the cable works the male connector doesn't fit properly into my 4 controller digital power base sockets, it works if I hold it in place but when I let go the male connector just comes out, obviously this is because the cable I purchased has a different connector on, but still it looks the same as the one in your picture which also has 2 black rings on. When you say it needs to be cut or sharpened down, where do you mean?, on the black plastic cable or the metal end. I am bit unsure what I should do now, do I look for a cable with the same connector as the Scalextrics, which seems to be impossible to find, or am I supposed to make do with the cable I purchased and just somehow modify it to fit properly somehow. I don't mind having to buy another cable, but can they actually be purchased with the same male connector on as the Scalextric one, as I don't seem to be able to find a cable the with the exact same male end connector which has just the 1 black ring and not 2 as I have purchased and is as pictured in your link. Any help or advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT!!!: I just pushed the cables in further, and a little harder and the male end went end to my 4 Car PB and now stays in, I was afraid before because it felt like I was going to break something inside the PB, but I've got the cable to fit now, and works great, and the plug stays connected. I have read a lot of people saying that they needed to shave the end of the black plastic on the male connector end, but with the cable I purchased this seemed to be unnecessary to do. By the way the 2 metre cable was £2 on eBay and a 5metre version is £2.49, inc P+P, saves paying a tenner for the Branded ones!, although I'm still not sure about the way the male connector goes in my Power Base, it just doesn't feel like it the best connection, as I had to push it in quite firmly and it doesn't feel right to me. I think when I have the spare money I may just buy the Scalextric ones to be on the safe side. Although I think as long as I don't keep plugging and unplugging the cable at the PB it will fine.

Edited by mark iliff

Ian

hi, I was after some extension cables myself for my standard Scalextric digital controllers, and I though the Scalextric ones are a bit expensive for what they are, so after seeing this Post, I ordered a cheap £2 cable, which is 2metres long it looks the same as the one you gave the link too, the cable I purchased has 2.5mm male/female ends, but the male end has 2 black rings on and the Scalextric only uses a cable with 1 black ring, and although the cable works the male connector doesn't fit properly into my 4 controller digital power base sockets, it works if I hold it in place but when I let go the male connector just comes out, obviously this is because the cable I purchased has a different connector on, but still it looks the same as the one in your picture which also has 2 black rings on. When you say it needs to be cut or sharpened down, where do you mean?, on the black plastic cable or the metal end. I am bit unsure what I should do now, do I look for a cable with the same connector as the Scalextrics, which seems to be impossible to find, or am I supposed to make do with the cable I purchased and just somehow modify it to fit properly somehow. I don't mind having to buy another cable, but can they actually be purchased with the same male connector on as the Scalextric one, as I don't seem to be able to find a cable the with the exact same male end connector which has just the 1 black ring and not 2 as I have purchased and is as pictured in your link. Any help or advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT!!!: I just pushed the cables in further, and a little harder and the male end went end to my 4 Car PB and now stays in, I was afraid before because it felt like I was going to break something inside the PB, but I've got the cable to fit now, and works great, and the plug stays connected. I have read a lot of people saying that they needed to shave the end of the black plastic on the male connector end, but with the cable I purchased this seemed to be unnecessary to do. By the way the 2 metre cable was £2 on eBay and a 5metre version is £2.49, inc P+P, saves paying a tenner for the Branded ones!, although I'm still not sure about the way the male connector goes in my Power Base, it just doesn't feel like it the best connection, as I had to push it in quite firmly and it doesn't feel right to me. I think when I have the spare money I may just buy the Scalextric ones to be on the safe side. Although I think as long as I don't keep plugging and unplugging the cable at the PB it will fine.

Can you post a link to the ebay part?

Thanks

Ian

Can you post a link to the ebay part?

Thanks

hello, yes here it is below, they have a couple of sizes, and are cheap too and quick delivery. I think the correct Male plug should be a Mono type, but I can't find any cables already made up with this connector on, they do sell the plugs on their own, which you can buy also on eBay for £1.99 I think it was, but of course by the time you buy a couple of plugs and the length of cable its just as cheap to buy the Scalextric ones. But these cables definitely work ok, just make sure to give them a firm push in and then they stay nicely in. I found the 2 metre cable plenty long enough but their is a 5 metre one also for £2.49.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5mm-Stereo-Jack-Male-Female-Extension-cable-lead-2m-/180637823070?pt=UK_Computing_Cables

Man I'm so stupid, it is correct that you just have to shave the end of the plastic on the Male end connector down for it to fit properly in the slot in the power base, I didn't see that it was catching on the plastic on the power base preventing the cable going in smoothly, as the male connector only catches on the bottom side of the connector I couldn't see that was why it wouldn't fit in without having to give it a hard push, and even then the cable would often just pop out easily if knocked or pulled. So these cables mentioned above do fit really well, in fact perfectly if you just shave some of the black connector off on the male end so it is small enough to fit!. I wondered what everyone was going on about when they were saying to shave the connector to get it to fit, lol. :rolleyes:

Just came across these adaptors from Maplin and thought they were interesting and related to this subject:

http://www.slotcarcentre.co.uk/acatalog/Scalextric_official_products.html#aSOCKADAP

Edited by mark iliff