Long Time Lurker

Fornax

Well, I've been lurking on here for a little over 18 months and its time I cam clean and introduced myself.

I'm Scott and live in Narrabri (Northwest plains NSW) with my wife and 18 month old twin girls.

After all this lurking I have come to the realisation that I know a few members on here; hello to oldslot & rhino.

So on to my slot car history.

I first got into slot cars at a very early age, my dad had a scalextric track and long rainy weekends growing up in Tassie meant alot of time was spent on playing with it.

At about 13-14 I found out that there was a 1/24 commercial track in Prospect, Launceston, Tasmania. Bought a second hand Womp and raced that for a while before upgrading to a Flexi; can't remember much about motors and classes of racing all I know is it was a hoot until the commercial track moved from the same suburb I lived in, into the city.

Sold up and got out of the hobby.

Mucked around with some RC nitro on-road cars for a few years.

Then I moved to Narrabri and got into RC airplanes. After the birth of my beatiful girls it became apparent I didn't have the time or the money for crashing/flying planes anymore.

Went and bought the "Top Gear" Scalextric set, bought some more peices of track, built some scenery and have expanded the car collection to 10 scalextric and 2 slot.its. (photos coming)

Although racing on a scalextric track I very much enjoy no mag racing and am looking forward to building a routed track in the next 1-2 years.

If you've reached this point in the post thanks for reading this extensive life story. This is probably a well overdue post considering the amount of time spent lurking.

Looking forward to sharing stories and maybe visting someone elses track for a bit of a friendly race/beer.

Greetings and welcome.

Looking forward to seeing how the track has moved on from the Top Gear start.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Welcome to the forum Scott. The Prospect tracks ended up down here in Hobart. Many of the HMCC guys racing on it until the commercial centre closed.

The larger track has been offered for sale several times and last I heard was in NSW's somewhere. The smaller track I owned for many years.

Does this pic look familiar?

prospect.jpg

You will find plenty of help on here.

Edited by kalbfellp

Not sure whether you are racing non-magnet on Scaly track but Slot-it go really well non-magnet and many Scaly are OK non-magnet if you add Slot-it or similar tyres and sometimes a little weight. A few Scaly examples are NASCAR and Mustang as they are and V8, BMW Mini and A1GP with Slot-it tyres. If you are really keen the Slot-it standard guide is also a straight replacement for the Scaly one and cuts down on the de-slots.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Welcome to the forum Scott. The Prospect tracks ended up down here in Hobart. Many of the HMCC guys racing on it until the commercial centre closed.

The larger track has been offered for sale several times and last I heard was in NSW's somewhere. The smaller track I owned for many years.

Does this pic look familiar?

You will find plenty of help on here.

The building and the person on the left look familiar but the track is different. I'm sure it had a loop before entering the main straight. A lot like this one SLOT0.jpg

I am racing no-mag on the scaley track, the slot-its run great as long as its very clean and I've replaced a few scaley cars with MJK tyres (at least I think thats what they are) and they make a great improvement over the standard.

The King Track was added to the Chequered Flag business a lot later and was located in several other sites over the years.

The person on the left is Steve Johnson. The other is Shane Farquar who sold his share off after a short time.

The King is still here in Tassie.Luke Williams brought it and had it is storage.

• 3 weeks later...