Chassis Setup Plates

Camber

Hello fellow slotters,

I want to build a chassis setup plate and was wondering whats available and any good ideas I can use. I was thinking of engraving a 6 or 10mm grid to help with alignment.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

- Cam

Hoo Roo

Hello fellow slotters,

I want to build a chassis setup plate and was wondering whats available and any good ideas I can use. I was thinking of engraving a 6 or 10mm grid to help with alignment.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

- Cam

Hey Cam,

I just purchased a Xslot setup board form armchair it does up to 1/24 scale check out their website its under xslot parts.

Cheers

61902-x-260.jpg

Edited by jimmi

Are you talking setup board or chassis building jig,there is a big difference.

For set up boards I have and use several....I use a slick 7 set up board(formica type surface),a milled aluminium set up board(very true),12mm mdf set up board,kitchen cabinet mdf offcuts.

For a chassis building jig I use a corian one from RGeo(Rick Benardo)products(check ebay US)and sometimes a piece of 16mm mdf with a routed slot and sometimes the bench top liner ie no jig at all. However I do eyeball some of the newer jigs available and wish for a new one but.....

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

I use 2 types of Chassis Jigs,

A Cheetah 11 jig with adjustable whhelbase and preset height lugs for clearance. and a fixed wheelbase ceramic board which is 4.25 inches

At present I have a half built Retro F1 1/24th scale chassis on the Cheetah jig for Mobile Raceways Retro saturday nights. Not sure where you can source the Cheetah 11 from, I scored mine on Ebay for 13.00 ea set u jig and a persepex body mounting plate with magnets

Stu

Pic if you wish

Never wrestle with a pig...........you both get dirty........and the pig loves it.

Thanks Guys

Are you talking setup board or chassis building jig,there is a big difference.

However I do eyeball some of the newer jigs available and wish for a new one but.....

Munter, what is the difference and can you combine the two?

I have done a bit of searching but couldn't find much, do you you have any links?

Pic if you wish

Pics would be great.

- Cam

Hoo Roo

Munter, what is the difference and can you combine the two?

I have done a bit of searching but couldn't find much, do you you have any links?

In theory they are both flat plates with a slot cut in them.What differs is the material they are made of and the jig will have holes for pegs and maybe a big slot down the centre for clamping and guide position.

You cannot solder a brass chassis on a perspex setup board and expect things to work out.Using a chassis jig for a setup board is possible but they are heavier and often larger.

Look for Lucky Bobs set up board hereLucky Bob's$10NZ plus postage

For a good chassis building Jig then follow slotbakers link.I have dealt with PCH before and they seem to have everything a builder and racer needs.

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Cam you need to decide just what you need this for. Are you only setting up chassis,s an RTR cars or are you going to scratch build some home made chassis?

Mostly for setting up Plafit and MJK chassis. I am also keen to build some of my own machined chassis.

Hoo Roo

Hi there,

I have also purchased one of the 'Xlot' setup boards, mainly for setting up my Plafit Cars,..perhaps a bit pricey, but it does appear to be pretty Flat and along with a good set of vernier calipers, seems to work quite well as a reference.

The Guide fits relatively snuggly in the slot, so aligning the car is pretty easy.

Regarding actual Chassis 'Building Jigs', I have owned and used one of Rick Bennardo's 'R-Geo' chassis jigs, (one of the Earlier ones) and am and have been Very Happy with it.

Mind you, the Later units are arguably even Better, with Many extra features and accessories. He is a nice friendly guy to deal with and has many Other 'Nifty' little 'Doo-Hickies' designed specifically for the Scratch-builder, such as Jig Wheels, wire benders and various Brass chassis bits and pieces.

He can be contacted either via the 'SlotBlog' forums or via this link; R-Geo products

There is also another very good chassis Jig, as mentioned in one of the previous posts, being the 'Backtrack' chassis jig, which is also a very fine and nicely made unit.

I think Hornsby Slot Cars Did have some of them, but am Sure you could get one from Mike Swiss at Chicagoland Raceway, see here; Chicagoland Raceway

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Stewart

:)

Edited by stoo23

• 10 months later...

Nah, but I do have a Prof motor setup board - Corian - lying around somewhrere, a couple of Perspex ones which I THINk are Cartrix or SRT, one at least has whit elines all over it.

None of then are terribly expensive.

Munter and I brought in a parcel of Precision Slot Car jigs a while back and there was one spare. I could do that for $100 plus post from NZ- quite heavy, probably about $15 to post (all in NZ$)

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

If you only want a setup board you can use anything, MDF, Thick perspex, ass long as it is flat. you just need to cut a slot for the guide.

I have several all made from offcuts of kitchen bench tops. But for many years I just used a piece of white Malamine shelving.