BoltzLightning

Ssd Ferrite Man

For the capacitor, you need one of these: Jaycar 10nF Its this piece that will give you the best initial benefit, as it suppresses the effect of 'sparking' evident from the braids and the motor commutator.

The other item, a ferrite balun, is not obviously available on the Jaycar site, and in fact is hard to isolate at all as the components have no markings, look similar but have different characteristics. Its prime purpose is to remove RF interference (to other items) so while important, it provides lesser direct benefit to the cars.

The combination of both makes the signal into and out of the car chip significantly 'cleaner' and so will

a. remove/reduce electronic stress on the inputs/outputs of the CPU

b. remove/reduce noise arriving at the input, meaning the CPU can more properly decode the digital signals

c. reduce inter-track induced noise on the wiring board itself (a real issue with some DPR chips - rev F boards, I think)

Some people say the Ferrite men are not necessary - that may be the case at times in the real world - but in marginal environments they will improve the quality of the car chip decoding, thereby making them more reliable.

Ian

Edited by MIH
  • Upvote 1

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

Thanks MIH for your help. Does anyone know where Can you buy the original scalextric capacitors. I've searched some of the local slot car shop sites with no luck. I want to convert 20 cars and I have read that it is better to have the capacitor at both ends for optimum effect.

cheers

Boltz

P.S would 2 of these one on each end of the capacitor do the job.Jaycar ferrites

Edited by BoltzLightning

Thanks MIH for your help. Does anyone know where Can you buy the original scalextric capacitors. I've searched some of the local slot car shop sites with no luck. I want to convert 20 cars and I have read that it is better to have the capacitor at both ends for optimum effect.

cheers

Boltz

P.S would 2 of these one on each end of the capacitor do the job.Jaycar ferrites

umm, the capacitors are detailed above... there is no difference between 'Scalextric versions' and anywhere else. If the (yellow disc ceramic) capacitors have 103 then any letter printed on them, they'll be fine. 103M is interpretted as 10-3-M and means 10 + 3 zeros => 10000pF => 10nF. The M is the tolerance: +-20%

The double-hole balun-type ferrite is better for reasons that are just way too complex to explain here, but if you want to put the one you found on, then thats OK. I'd suggest they sit about one-third between the nothing and the balun-type.

Ian

Edited by MIH
  • Upvote 1

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

thanks for the info, I will go down to jaycar and see if they can get double-hole balun-type ferrite. Great to have someone who knows this stuff on our forum.

cheers

Boltz

I've been trying to find a ferrite that fits the specs...

5.1mm wide, 5mm tall, 3.1mm deep and dual 1.4mm holes...

So far, the closest is 7x6x4 and dual 1.7.

http://www.feryster.pl/polski/rks.php?lang=en

Way too many datasheets to trawl through on RS components...

Edited by shadow_rusty

Hmm, $5 for the ferrites, and $15 for the postage...

http://www.ebay.com....0-/140787972122

Anyone know of a better source of these (Scalextric W8424)???

edit:

$13 delivered from slot city...

http://www.slotcity.co.uk/product_info.php/scalextric-w8424-ferrite-ceramic-filter-x10-p-3221

But still, it's $3 for the part and $10 for shipping...

Edited by shadow_rusty

If anyone needs the chokes or capacitors or filters for the Scaley/Pioneer Digital wiring loom, we now have access to vast stocks as the entire Pioneer Chinese Electric Wiring Department has just arrived by sea container in the UK. We are angle deep in the darned things.

Let me know if I can help.

BTW, minimum postage cost by Royal Mail airmail from UK to Australia is now about AUD$5.00, just for the postage stamp. That's for 1 grm or 100 gms. Min charge.

Jules

• Upvote 1

The capacitors are easy enough to get (and cheap), it's the ferrite cores that I can't seem to find anywhere...

Are the Pioneer chokes the same as the Scaley Ferrites?

If they are the same, I'd probably be interested in about 30 of them for me and my brother... (Nothing like a little future proofing)

Edited by shadow_rusty

I'll be in on that too, just the ferrite man.

Maybe a bulk shipment and then divi up here if we can get enough people on board.

Cheers Grant

20191120172309-193d8f3b.gif.......................................................20170306174707-b4015afe.gif

Home Track..........Corvette C1 Build..........McLaren M1A Build..........Maserati 300S Build..........Allard J2 Build..........50's Diner..........Iso Griffo A3C

3D Printed Adjustable Chassis..........3D Print Projects

The two-hole ferrite ceramic filter cores and the 103 capacitor(man) are the same spec as used by Pioneer and Scaley. Standard electronics stuff, really.

Let me know if you need some.

Jules

• Upvote 1