Need Help With Digital !

DrGore

Hey guys,

I had my mind set on scx digital ever since i discovered digital slot car racing but now that ive done some in depth research i cant make my mind up on which brand to go with.

I was keen on SCX digital because of the " flashy " look of there CU, acessories and track. but im slowly heading away from them after reading a heap of bad reviews.

Im asking for other peoples opinions on what they own and what they like . . .

What i want in digital is

- lane changing

- possibility to expand (at a later date) to have some 3 lane sections.

- lap counting

- race position

- pit lane/refueling

- fuel meters

- ease of conversion (car wise) i can use a soldering iron well

i have a budget of $500-$600 to get me started.

any help, advice, opinions are greatly appreciated.

thank you

if your not first your last !

Hi DrGore with the budget you have to spend imo i would go with the new 6car powerbase from Scalextric, you can then use any 1/32 scale brand car that you can fit a chip in, and have options like connecting to a PC and using SSD Console and Pit Pro you could also go 3 or 4 lanes depending how far you want to get into it. I have built a wood track using Scalextric Digital Parts.

Cheers John

Edited by Johnsxr8

Check out North Brisbane Slotcar Racing: http://northbrisslots.forumotion.com

ok sounds good. what should i buy to get started?

You will most likely have to buy the new 6 car powerbase on its own and power supplies to suit, and then after that i would go and buy a Scalextric Digital set which will most likely come with a 4 car Powerbase imo i would either sell the 4 car powerbase or keep it as a spare, i think you might be able to use the power supply from the 4car PB on the 6 car one aswell but if you want to run more than 4 cars on the 6car PB you will need a 2nd power supply, with the 6 car Powerbase you get a analogue mode aswell so you can still use cars that dont have digital chips in you just wont be able to run more than 1 or 2 cars in analogue mode.

Hi,check this set out to get you started. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Scalextric-Triple-Cup-Digital-Slotcar-Set-1223-/200609207234?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Slot_Cars&hash=item2eb53d93c2 Then you can expand to the 6 car power base and add track and controllers as needed. The programs mentioned in the above post are great as well.

Edited by sigmaman

www.sigmamansmodels.com

DrGore,

I might clarrify a few points for you:

Probably one of the cheapest methods is to buy a digital set with the 4-car PB (this provides you with a power supply that you can use if you purchase the Advanced Power Base (APB)). With a single power supply and the APB you can race up to 3 cars. If you source another power supply with the APB then you can race up to 6 digital cars or switch the APB into analogue mode and race 2 lane analogue.

Buying a digital set if far cheaper than purchasing the individual components seperately.

Obviously for digital the biggest cost is the cost and time to chip analogue cars to run in digital mode. (Chip is about $25). This is where the APB comes into it's own with the 2 power supplies = 2 lane analogue.

If purchasing the APB you should be aware that it has the ability to connects to a Race management System (RMS). SSDC is one such system that appears to have a strangle hold on the market, it support the new APB and provides a whole host of options to extend the digital racing experience adding pit-stops/fuel management, penalites, track call (pretty much everything you could ever want).

In order to use SSDC or any other RMS system you need a cable to connect from the APB to your laptop to run SSDC (Windows program). Contact RikoRocket via PM on this forum or on SlotForum (cost is about 25 pounds). SSDc is well and truly worth the investment. I think it costs around 30 pounds).

In relation to your requirements:

- lane changing (digital set should have at least 1 lane changer/maybe 2)

- possibility to expand (at a later date) to have some 3 lane sections. (digital set makes this possible with the purchase of additional track)

- lap counting (APB does this)

- race position (APB does this)

- pit lane/refueling (SSDC does this)

- fuel meters (SSDC does this)

- ease of conversion (car wise) i can use a soldering iron well (chipping is fairly easy with a soldering iron)

Scalextric provides an excellent digital experience and a massive selection of cars that you can use.

Good luck with your adventure, looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

Mark

thanx for all the advice everyone has given me, im going to spend the next week or so sussing best possible prices for everything and hopfully make a purchase. mayb race with some of you soon ?

Dr,

The 4 car PB does not have an external port and you therefore cannot connect an RMS to it. The reason we are recommending you buy a digital set with the 4-car PB is as follows:

- you get a good amount of track at a far cheaper price than if you bought the components individually

- the digital sets will have at least 1 lane-change section (perhaps 2)

- the power supplies for the APB are very expensive (you'll get one by default from the 4-car digital set)

- you can use the 4-car PB as a spare or for setting up cars (truing tyres etc) without having to use your track

Lastly if you did get the 4 car PB (even without RMS and all of that) it will give you a chance to see if you like it. Digital is tremendous fun but can turn out to be very expensive (both to setup) and for trashing cars.

Mark

Hi Guys,

Not wanting to highjack the thread or anything, but I find myself in the same position as MrGore. I'm looking at getting a digital track, starting from a base of having no track at all. I was thinking of getting the Ninco Master track kit but I see its not been mentioned here as an option? I was leaning toward the Ninco brand as a mate has a Ninco analogue set which he's also thinking of converting to digital and I'd like to race my cars on both tracks. I'm assuming of course that the car digital modules aren't compatible between different brands.

Before parting with my hard earned, I'd like be sure I'm getting the best brand going around anyway. Is Scalextric the way to go? I'd certainly like to get a PC linked in the track somewhere, I've been messing with Ultimate Racer and a webcam on my mates track and anything completely integrated would be neat.

Cheers,

C8

Today, my scalextric digital lane change 2 car set arrived as well as the extra 8 straights and 8 curves that i got brand new and cheap of ebay. So its all sitting in my lounge room, u nfortunantly I was on my way out to work when it all arrived so ive i havnt had a chance to set it all up. Cnt wait for my shift to end so i can ge home haha.

What chip will i need to buy to install into my autoart lambo so that i have headlights and brakelights ?

G'day DrGore,

You should be able to fit either the saloon or F1 chips into your Lambo,a little soldering required and quite easy to do once you have done a couple. I'm not sure if theres a photo on this forum showing you how to install the chip in your Lambo but I know there is one on Slot Forum International showing how to install the scalextric digital chips in the 3 different types of AutoArt Lambos.

Not sure if we're allowed to mention other forums here on Auslot but only trying to help a fellow slotter out.

Cheers

Matt

PS. Have fun with the new set.

Edited by mattcrackers

What chip will i need to buy to install into my autoart lambo so that i have headlights and brakelights ?

This depends...

Scaley cheat and they attach head and tail lights directly to the pickups!

To obtain functioning brakelights (ie they come on when under braking) you'll need the Saloon chip, and the instructions about the soldering needed.

To obtain functioning headlights as well, you'll need a Saloon chip, InCar-Pro upgrade, APB-Pro update and SSDC v5 enhancements - or attach them direct to the pickups and leave them on all the time.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

DrGore,

Go any buy yourself a Scalex Camaro or a Pioneer Mustang and a DPR chip - these cars are excellent cars to drive on Scalextric track, very fast and a bundle of fun. I'd steer clear of the AutoArt Lambo's, you'll quickly learn that they aren't the greatest cars.....

Did you get a 4 car PB set?

Eventually you'll want to do the XLC modification to power the flippers (so that cars stopping around the flipper area don't lose power). My kids had a knack of stopping in that area. When you do get to that point, let me know as I have a couple of spare chips that power the flippers.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Guys,

Not wanting to highjack the thread or anything, but I find myself in the same position as MrGore. I'm looking at getting a digital track, starting from a base of having no track at all. I was thinking of getting the Ninco Master track kit but I see its not been mentioned here as an option? I was leaning toward the Ninco brand as a mate has a Ninco analogue set which he's also thinking of converting to digital and I'd like to race my cars on both tracks. I'm assuming of course that the car digital modules aren't compatible between different brands.

Before parting with my hard earned, I'd like be sure I'm getting the best brand going around anyway. Is Scalextric the way to go? I'd certainly like to get a PC linked in the track somewhere, I've been messing with Ultimate Racer and a webcam on my mates track and anything completely integrated would be neat.

Cheers,

C8

C8 it can be a bit of a personal preference thing, but atm with Scalextric's new 6 car powerbase i'd have to say imo it would be the best out of box digital setup with the added bonus of being able to hook up to a PC and also being able to use any car you can fit one of the chips in

Cheers John

Errr...

Choice of set can be based upon a religious conviction - somewhat similar to Holden or Ford. :)

I suggest you decide on the set that you get the best support on, and the best availability for you of track, parts, cars etc.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

Ok so after a few hours of Making the missus race with me ive come to the realisation that i need more lane changes. Just 1 wont do lol.

I am defs glad that i went with scalextric digital. So thank you all for your input. It really helped me alot, hopefully one day i can help someone else out in a similar position.

Ive already lost 1 of the mirros of the nissan gtr nothing a bit of glue cnt fix.

One thing though didnt expect the track to be so large, spesh after adding all the extra peices i bought. Here me thinking ill probs need more. Haha

Now to chip my lambo, invte some mates round have a few drinks and get racing :).

Anyone in melbourne area racing scalextric digital or even a club?

Anyone in melbourne area racing scalextric digital or even a club?

I'd come over, but when I was there for last week it was so b*y cold and wet, I was pining for the warmth of... Christchurch! :)

Ian

Scorpius can retrofit to:

a) Any slot car

B) Ninco, Scalextric and Csarrera digital track systems.

see: www.scorpiuswireless.com

We also offer brand new SSD, Hornby and Carrera LCs fitted with Scorpius electronics.

Soon we will be offering ore chipped NSR cars. Just fit the lane changers into your track, out batteries into the controller, set IDs, load RMs program and race. Each component be it controller, car decoder or lanr change electroinics are reprogrammable by end user. No other system offers this. On top its done wirelessly, no programming devices or cables. No other "toy" anywhere in the world has this capability. We are confident too the controller will be the best on the market and by a long shot. This controller hss the finest resolution of any controller with 320 seperate steps. Its also light, balanced and sexy.

Take our new Scorpius RMS (Race management system)only weeks off. It has a "Quickrace" function. Just drive cars around track in practice mode. All cars are automatically entered into the driver list including name. Just press "start". It also has "real" false start detection, REAL fuel, as in fuel based on power useage not just time, and tyre wear too based on fuel useage, harder you go the quicker the tyres wear out.

Want to record a race and sit back and watch?, thats coming in 2012, or how about a ghost car based on a real recording of a lap, but CALIBRATED so it stays on track. The list is long, Id need a few pages to explain everything, but its something to consider.

Best of all its Aussie made, (the home of WiFi)

Rick

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 months later...
Guest paulwest

If you go the scalextric way, the majority of the new vehicles are now electronic plug ready,or DPR. These chips hold about one moment in time to set up which means you don't should chip every car, just swap them near to for the vehicles your producing utilization of on the time.

• 5 months later...

New to the slotcar scene, never had one as a kid nor played with one until last weekend, an AFX analog set.

Anyhow, I saw a post that contained info. I am interested in also

Since i discovered digital slot car racing but now that ive done some in depth research i cant make my mind up on which brand to go with.

Im asking for other peoples opinions on what they own and what they like . . .

What i want in digital is

- Digital

- Space, settings: AFX sizing which I think is 1/32 correct?

- lane changing

- possibility to expand (at a later date) to have some 3 lane sections.

- lap counting

- race position

- pit lane/refueling

- fuel meters

- ease of conversion (car wise) i can use a soldering iron well

- expanded track lanes

- PC controlled connectivity

- Digital

- wireless control

Budget, more so need information to make a decision then I will hunt down pricing and work on my budget, I am looking possibly around the $400-$600

any help, advice, opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Johnno

I have 5 cars, all converted to Ninco digital, & approx' 55ft feet of 2 lane track. I would have no change out of $3000- for my simple setup (see link in my signature) that has no computer/software & no wireless.

You can certainly do it a lot cheaper, especially if you are handy, have the tools & the space to design & build yourself a routed track, which you can make both 1/32 & 1/24 capable; digital/analogue; use wireless & anything else that is available.

Alternatively you could watch the for sale section here & buy an already created routed track that you could trailer home in its individual pieces & reassemble, which is probably financially the smartest move.

Edited by inveterate retiree

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

The New Scalextric Digital Platinum set with the new 6 car powerbase and come with 6 cars and controllers is pretty good for around the $800 mark and plenty of aftermarket upgrades, havent tried any of the other systems to comment on them but i would love to try Scorpius one day