Vintage Nascars Or Stock Cars

BMR

Wow I thought it was hard to get 11 classes up and running , locals run two classes a night on a Monday night , how do you manage 22 classes ?

This is my monogram Stocker its got the rims used in the MJK EH holden kit on the front ( vintage front ) and the MJK vintage rear rims on the back . Being slightly smaller they drop the chassis , from there the body posts are trimmed to get the body down . The interior tub is also trimmed for clearance . The monogram front end is easy to drop by taking the two retaining plates that hold the front axle box section in place and putting them underneath the box section when its re assembled - instant lowering no glue etc just simply unscrew and rescrew the front axle assembly .

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011436.jpg

Below is a stock out of the box car compared to the modified car .

The gold car has also got an 18mm slot it spur gear 7.5mm slot it pinion gear in it this is to allow for the smaller diameter rear wheels . The magnet location section under the chassis is trimmed away so the chassis can drop lower - same as Syds although I reinforce the area with some styrene plastic . No lead in it yet but the cars goes ok so far.

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011446.jpg

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011445.jpg

This show the gold cars chassis on the left side with the magnet section under the chassis trimmed away and some styrene in place to strengthen it again , there is also a little weight now in the front magnet location . Note the exhaust pipes are missing - body is too low to allow them back on , maybe with a bit of a trimming on the body sides they will go back on one day ?

The smaller MJK rims also fit without any trimming on the sides of the chassis , they are about 7mm wide on the front and 8 - 9mm on the back . Same size as the stock tyres as far as width goes anyway . The Carrera should take to these rims as well I expect

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011457.jpg

Edited by BMR

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ride height comparison between the stock black Pioneer , lowered yellow pioneer , the Gold monogram and a Carrera car ( red one )

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011437.jpg

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011436.jpg

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011435.jpg

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011434.jpg

Monogram Fairlane on a MJK132A metal chassis below

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011432.jpg

Edited by BMR

Monogram Fairlane with the lid off next to a monogram galaxie , slightly different cars from the same manufacturer but the photo shows the interior bucket re trimmed ( cut n shut ) of the interior floor to allow the body drop

The styrene sheet between the body posts is just something I do so I can put a bit of velcro in to keep the car quiet ( furry side of the velcro ) sponge would also do the job , the velcro is peel and stick so its just what I have lying around to do the job

The other bits of white styrene are glued in to hold the interior in place - the interior can still float around a tiny bit .

The larger piece of white styrene is glued in to brace the chassis after the magnet cradle section is dremmeled away to allow the chassis to ride lower

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011473-1.jpg

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011472.jpg

Edited by BMR

Just because the wireless internet conection is actually working well tonight I thought to post pics while I can

Another couple of chassis options below

red car is another adjustable metal chassis white car is a Scalextric NASCAR chassis

Both bodies are RMS resins , the Red one - Chevy has had the wheel arches opened out heaps to get MJK Grand Prix tyres under it and hang the wheels out

Both are unfinished projects still

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011475.jpg

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011478.jpg

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011477.jpg

canoncameraphotosmay5th2011476.jpg

Edited by BMR

Wow Steve, thats some nice work there. Looks like you are well underway to kick some oval butt with those cars. Thanks for sharing the photos, Im sure that will help a few people out. I may even copy some of those mods on the revell fords. One chassis not to forget is artin. Artin is severely underrated & can be made into great running oval racers with little work. I have quite a few cars with artin running gear under them. The chassis themselves are quite basic which makes them real easy to work on & modify. Artin can be bought from slotshop for $25. Buy the Mercs, ditch the body. I usually replace the axles & wheels to match whatever Im building. Or you can buy the artin stocker which already has modern Nascar wheels ready to go.

Ive got artin chassis under these-

Pete Hamilton 69 Charger, body is an old Monogram

IMG_4393.jpg

Gordon Johncocks 65 Dodge Coronet

IMG_3766.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

Heres a bomber with a stock Artin stocker chassis, see the modern nascar wheels

IMG_3583.jpg

Also if you want to go into 1/25. Jalopys are super fun to race. All you need is a basic chassis made from some brass tube.

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

This is all you need to build one

IMG_3063.jpg

Its great to see oval racing getting more interest over here. Oval relate cars take up more than 3/4 of my cars. I cant get enough. Steve wait until you see the car Im building atm. Im just about finished. Its big & Blue!

Edited by MOPARDEVIL

Thanks

Greg

The jalopies are great , I hope the oval track generates some interest in building some " different" slotcars I like Slot it , MSR , Ninco etc but after a while I need more than sports cars to keep me entertained .

The dark blue Dodge charger looks fantastic , the local 1/24 guys are into building bombers , hot rods / jalopies but the 1/32 guys are a bit gun shy when it comes to scratchbuilding a car . Im looking at the Sprint plus car kit at the moment - they look like a whole lota fun to me

We Race mostly scratch built, The Historic Nascars are one of the most entertaining classes we have, they are a lot of fun to drive,also handle very well.I have just done the the Carrera 57 chevy (black and white version) which is One of my favorite also I have a 63 Galaxy which is superb. There is a fair bit of paint swapping as these thundering beast scream around the track.Well worth the Effort.

Cheers Slider

Yeah love the 57 - cool racer and one great way to remove any weight , nothing much above the door handles to make it top heavy there Slider

As a hard top it was not that good very top heavy so i done the research to see if they were raced as a convertible and found a few that were raced. The most famous was Fireball Roberts It was a black 57 convertible. I dont believe it will beat the fairlanes and galaxys but it will look good in amongst the field.

Hey Brad done most of the work myself with a bit of help and advice.

\

Cheers Slider

Edited by Slider

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve

I'm not sure that the Artin Stocker chassis is generally available anymore, you might want to go over to home racing world and ask , they seem to like it a lot as a donor chassis.

Cheers Alan.

Edited by lenny broke

Yes Slotshop is the place to go for artin. The artin stocker is not being made anymore & are getting harder to find. Slotshop did still have some last time I was there a while ago. In saying that all Artins have the same chassis, just the wheels are different. So just get the cheapest Mercedes for $25 & change the wheels to suit the car. As I said the chassis are exactly the same. Just the f1s are different I think.

Sorry Steve I dont have any pics on hand of the internals. All my cars are boxed away atm so I cant take any pics.

Thanks

Greg

Hi Steve

Here's an address for a HRW article on the Artin Stckers from 2006.

http://www.homeracingworld.com/artinstockers.htm

I haven't hot linked it as not sure if if the admin here allow it. well not intentionally anyway it did it automatically :mellow:

there's some pics of the chassis there.

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

• 10 months later...

Couple more oval track racers finally got finished off Kit bodies on donor chassis

Scalextric Camaro Chassis with a Pioneer motor under the widened Pontiac

My laser cut design metal chassis with a plafit Pointer under the 57 Chev

Click the pic to enlarge

th_050420121376.jpg

th_050420121381.jpg

th_050420121378.jpg

th_050420121374.jpg

th_050420121373.jpg

th_050420121372.jpg

th_050420121371.jpg

Edited by BMR

Nice!

I am going to put in an order with Al Penrose (BWA) for some insert aluminium wheels to suit classic NASCAR - he says the standard Monogram tyre size will fit - with 3/32" axle, so maybe have a chat with me about that at Maesbury tonight and I might be able to order an extra set if you have a use for them. Apparently postage is only US$5 for quite a few sets at once. Will probably get some of his classic NASCAR inserts from him as well, he has the '50s and '60s varieties. He also does wheels for the Carreras that are pretty much stock replacement. He has set up shop again via the SCI forums

ff48s6.jpg