Negative And Positive Track Wiring

charlesx

Hi all you knowledgable sparkies.

One of our new 3 lane wooden tracks is currently running Scaly controllers with DS0800??? power supply and presumably negative to earth set-up. Owner still using Scaly plugs on controllers. Brakes are just about non-existant. Running non-magnet mainly Slot-it. Currently not keen to change.

Wondered if we could have option to somehow disconnect current system (only when required) and switch to positive earth for club events where we could bring along our electronic controllers and plug into XLR plugs.

Appreciate it may not be as simply as it sounds but would like to at least investigate.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Is this a digital question? ie, is the track a digital track and set up?

If so, then analog as you describe will require (at least) removal of the Digital powerbase.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

Hi MIH. No definitely analogue.

Hi Munter. Neither at this stage as far as I am aware. Track just set-up with what owner had. With $'s involved to change however (currently no electronic controllers so controllers and plugs etc at least $500-$650 depending on model selected)I was just investigating how we might help.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

• Upvote 1

Thanks Phil.

Sorry but that seems too easy. My understanding is Christchurch is wired negative as they have a lot of guys with home tracks but rest of NZ clubs use positive.

Have I missed something in my explanation?

Re my Mr Slotcar/Slot-it Mazda review I have more or less finished as I decided to defer to you or whoever for rubber tyre tests. Do intend to complete short review on kitset assembly but that is all.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Analogue just change the polarity at the power supply before the controllers.His Scalex resistor controllers will still work and so will your electronic ones.

Charles problem is a little deeper than that. They want to use both types of controller on the track at once, two polarities, two types of plug, scaley controllers on negative, PM and Slot.it ones on positive.

I cannot see how it can be done with a simple 3 wire system. A 4 way plug, where you used 3 selective and "dropped" one pin depending upon your polarity, so that nothing goes to track directly from the supply or a "pin" on the driver station, but everything is delivered via the plugged in controller only, would be the only way I can see this working.

- If "Iwanttoslot" happens to read this thread - Malcolm, it's time to show a diagram of that grand idea !!!!

AHHHHH BUT, maybe Phil has a point. Rex's scaley controllers are presumably just their standard resistor controllers, so they don't care which way the power is delivered. So you could convert the track to "positive polarity" so to speak, and all that is next needed is to switch the wires to the track rails left for right, so you keep the right direction.

Then just wire your own XLR plugs into the track. according to normal protocols, in parallel with the scaley plugs. Just don't plug both controllers into the one station at once.

ALSO, - if you do that, NEVER plug in a negative polarity electronic controller to the scaley 3.5mm plug, - it will make smoke signals and retire directly to the cemetery.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Sorry SlotsNZ but that is not intention at all. I seem to explain everything backwards these days.

Idea was to be able to use either but not at same time. In other words in normal use retain Scaly and negative but on club days switch to positive and use different plug-in and controllers.

Just seems to me if it is as easy as Phil says why do they sell negative and positive wired controllers. Sutely it is not just about running direction.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Electronic controllers are sold as either POS or NEG simply so they can be used on tracks that are wired in that particular way without having to change anything else.

Some home sets are harder to change over because of moulded plugs on the supplies and track connections.

While we tend to use positive wired tracks down here Neg wired tracks are mainly used in the UK.

Without getting into all the theories behind DC contol , it is simply to say that both systems work equal. If using resistor controllers it does not matter.

One of the tracks down here has a reversing switch in the power supply and not AFTER the controllers and if we run in the reverse direction some guys have to change to resistor or switched diode controllers.

Sorry SlotsNZ but that is not intention at all. I seem to explain everything backwards these days.

Idea was to be able to use either but not at same time. In other words in normal use retain Scaly and negative but on club days switch to positive and use different plug-in and controllers.

Just seems to me if it is as easy as Phil says why do they sell negative and positive wired controllers. Sutely it is not just about running direction.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Actually charles, what I answered IS for what you asked on the phone and repeated here in your post above. it doesn't matter what day it is, the same wiring has to be in place and has to work whether is Rex plugging on scaley controller when at home by himself, or you guys coming over and any or everyone plugging in positive polarity PM controllers, and the same warnings apply.

Idea was to be able to use either but not at same time. In other words in normal use retain Scaly and negative but on club days switch to positive and use different plug-in and controllers."

- But if rex wanted, he could still plug in a scaley controller to one of the stations at the same time.

What you don't want, is swapping the wires from the power supply back and forth, all the time. too easy to forget or get it wrong way round, and POOF, there go the controllers. You want it to stay wired permanantly, and just use different plugs for the different controllers.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Actually, to stop this bending poor Charles head.....

how about we think of it this way.

Charles. Rex's track just gets wired up the way we have our tracks - and yours, PLUS, some of the wires to the controller stations ALSO run to the appropriate pins for a 3.5mm plug for a scalextric controller.

So utilising wire he has, you should be able to get most of the wiring done for our XLR positive system, it will just need "reconnecting" as 3 wire system at each station, then run a shunt of 2 or 3 wires, dpending upon WHICH scaley controller he has - (brakes or not)

I just can 't tell you off hand the "connect the black wire to the base, the white wire to the centre shaft" part of the description.

Phi, do I make sense to you? can you fill in the blanks. Charles and Paul successfuly wired their tracks using the Prof Motor colour codes on the controllers and a typical diagram..

Thanks for trying Mark/SlotsNZ. Sorry if I am a bit thick but I am trying to understand.

I did have a look at the two PM wiring diagrams you mentioned but have not tried to relate to ours or Rexs yet.

I will keep trying. Hopefully not too trying for you or any other contributors.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi SlotsNZ and Phil from Tassie in particular.

Have carefully taken in what you have said together with Positive and Negative diagrams produced by Professional Motor.

Based around PM "Positive polarity with reversing switch" diagram see my interpretation of how a safe combined system could be achieved.

For safety sake have put centre-off switches on power supply leads as otherwise a direct short I think could have been caused if both types of controllers were plugged into both systems at once. Preferably Pos and Neg controllers would have different plugs as well.

Kindly look at this when you have time and advise if you think I have achieved aim.

PosandNegwiringcombined.jpg

PLEASE NOTE DRAFT FOR CONSIDERATION ONLY - DO NOT USE!!!

Look forward to your and anybody elses comments.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi SlotsNZ and Phil from Tassie in particular.

Have carefully taken in what you have said together with Positive and Negative diagrams produced by Professional Motor.

Based around PM "Positive polarity with reversing switch" diagram see my interpretation of how a safe combined system could be achieved.

For safety sake have put centre-off switches on power supply leads as otherwise a direct short I think could have been caused if both types of controllers were plugged into both systems at once. Preferably Pos and Neg controllers would have different plugs as well.

Kindly look at this when you have time and advise if you think I have achieved aim.

PosandNegwiringcombined.jpg

PLEASE NOTE DRAFT FOR CONSIDERATION ONLY - DO NOT USE!!!

Look forward to your and anybody elses comments.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

Hi Chas why don't you save the trouble and convert the other track so that all your tracks are wired the same way or am I missing something! Most of all tracks are wired the "Parma" preferred way ,which correct me if I am wrong someone, positive wired. :D

Edited by Syd

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

Hi Syd. Trust is all well over there in WA. It is nearly a year since I visited you.

Reason originally was owner not wanting to change from negative controllers/system (Scalextric) but think we have now talked him around. We do have one centre however that continue to perserve with negative wiring so thought it was still worth pursuing.

Otherwise I agree with you completely.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

I have to agree with Syd, you are making things hard. IF the negative tracks are only using resistor type controllers then there is no reason to keep changing the direction of the supply.You then only need to add direction switches or change the connections to each lane.

Totally agree with all you say. Negative track uses electronic controllers - hence my continued perservance.

Perhaps some kind electronically knowledgable person will vet my diagram for me please.

If not I can at least say I have tried.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

• 7 months later...

Ok. Iwanttoslot from the shaky isles here and also from the renegade negative track in the South. I am not here to argue the negative positive polarity thing here or the politics of it all but with the help of an acquaintance here we have found a way that they(positive and negative) can both live on the same track. It needs a four pin plug to replace all the plugs we use and then the polarity for the lane that you are plugged into is automatically chosen by the way the plug is wired. Adapters could be made for those not wishing to change the plug on the end of the cord. Only problem is that I haven't found a suitable plug yet but i should just get something wired up and send it up to SlotsNZ. If i can get an attachment i will post a diagram soon.

Malcolm

wish there was more than one slot in each corner for me.

Then I would just fall out of one and into the next.