Scaley 6 Car Pb Lap Counting Issue Fixed

sigmaman

Hi, I know this issue has been discussed before,but I thought it might be worth sharing how my mate fixed his lane 2 lap counting problem. Like a number of peoples his unit wouldn't count lane 2. Rather than try to get a replacement unit,which are out of stock in SA anyway,we pulled the cover off the bottom to see whats in there. The components that count the laps have little covers over them to shroud them,with a slit to let the signal through. The cover for lane 2 was missing! Clearly a manufacturing fault. Moved the cover from lane 1 to lane 2,plugged in,no lap counting on lane 1,lane 2 is working. Moved to cover back to lane 1,lane 1 counts lane 2 doesn't. Definatll the cover! Time to try a fix(race meeting today). He decided to try and cover it using black insulation tape. 10 minutes and a sharp knife to cut the slits in the tape to replicate the shape of the slits in the plastic part. Time to plug in. It works!!! Problem solved! It cost us nothing and no inconvenience time wise waiting for a replacement PB. Will let folks how it goes tonight. We are going to email Hornby and tell them and order a cover for lane 2.

cheers

Tristan

www.sigmamansmodels.com

...we pulled the cover off the bottom to see whats in there. The components that count the laps have little covers over them to shroud them,with a slit to let the signal through. The cover for lane 2 was missing! Clearly a manufacturing fault....

Wow! That is poor quality control. Makes you wonder how much post-manufacture testing occurs before delivery, doesn't it...? Wouldn't take much to check that before boxing up.

Ian

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

InCar-PRO: Chip Main Page

Race meeting last night went well. The insulation tape fix held up well and counted laps flawlessly all night. A great time was had by all. The only downside is this type of racing results in a lot of car damage. Mates cars were fine as theyed already had all the fragile parts knocked off them at previous meetings. First time I've had digital cars. One brand new Ford GT trashed. Even broke the loop where the guide fits. Should be fun to repair.

www.sigmamansmodels.com

Re broken guide mount there is Slot-it HRS kit that includes two combined front axle guide post mounts that I have successfully and rather easily fitted to Scaly cars (about $10). Alternatively on Trade me NZ there is a replacement guide mount system for sale for about $6. Have not heard of anybody's experience with these but they look OK. Appear similar to metal tongues you can buy.

See photos of former examples.

Slotcarguiderepair007.jpg

Slotcarguiderepair006.jpg

Slotcarguiderepair004.jpg

You will note with Ferrari I did not have to cut off front axle mounts but did so with V8. Had to drill out size of guide hole a bit to accept Scaly guide.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

How about one of the screws fitted to a PLG didn't have a thread? Not stripped, clearly it had missed a manufacturing operation.

So Scaley fitted it. Torqued it. Inspected it.

Yes. Luckily theres, what, 15 other screws to hold it together.

But a lane detector that doesn't detect, is a bit more fundamental... erk

Linux: A '90s reincarnation of a '80s Operating System based on a '70s design philosophy

Re broken guide mount there is Slot-it HRS kit that includes two combined front axle guide post mounts that I have successfully and rather easily fitted to Scaly cars (about $10). Alternatively on Trade me NZ there is a replacement guide mount system for sale for about $6. Have not heard of anybody's experience with these but they look OK. Appear similar to metal tongues you can buy.

Oh cool. Where can I get my hands on some of those? So far I've always been forced to buy a complete chassis pan to replace the broken one - I assume this is a bit cheaper?

Ian

Found a source for the HRS part and guide repair parts. Electric Dreams have them.

Now,thought I'd share some pics from last sat night.

The track!

20110504195505.jpeg

20110504195636.jpeg

In the second pic you can the monster plasma that we were using to view Power Base Pro. That program is so cool.

The track was based on smaller design I had run at home a few weeks ago.

20110504195745.jpeg

Some pics of the cars. The ones on the track are the ones we ran until they started fall to bits. The ones lined up on the the infield are my analogue cars which we played with after the race meeting.

20110504195840.jpeg

{IMG]http://www.sigmamansmodels.com/pip/gallery/data/lc20110326082721/20110504200029.jpeg[/img]

20110504195918.jpeg

Edited by sigmaman

www.sigmamansmodels.com

... In the second pic you can the monster plasma that we were using to view Power Base Pro. That program is so cool.

Got a link to this Power Base Pro thing? I assumes its an RMS of some type...?

Ian